Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
Good for her. She showed in the Arena Games that she has speed in them legs and her background in track running is impressive.

Of course there will be some people chomping at the bit to pick holes in this race. Course must be short. Course must be down hill. She must have drafted off of a motorbike.

People that don’t/didn’t run track, or at the very least don’t follow it closely, have no idea the difference between world class running and everything else.

I would not disagree, but one could argue that maybe she is to running what paul biederman was to swimming i.e. a super responder to high tech gear.
and for triathlon this is an outstanding time.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Another Beth Potter video just released by Super League.(she really is the flavour of the month).

As an aside,while the debate between what Ironman and Challenge/PTO are doing for pro triathletes rages here I am one who thinks that neither of those groups are doing anything close to forwarding the careers of pro triathletes than Super League and their associated "teams" and partners..

hear hear - their stuff is great. and it clearly benefits the athletes. ditto the invites they give out to younger/newer pros to big events. that truly shows a desire to nurture the sport.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Probably going to get burned for writing this.... but Beth Potter does not look like a healthy weight.
Athlete's like that tend to get injured frequently.

When will people realise the damage they cause but saying rubbish like this.

It is nothing to do with anyone except her team of professionals who work with her.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, let's applaud her effort and ignore the red flags. That's a healthy discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Probably going to get burned for writing this.... but Beth Potter does not look like a healthy weight.
Athlete's like that tend to get injured frequently.

Yeah, because you're incredibly wrong. For a female triathlete/runner she doesn't even look incredibly lean compared to some of her contemporaries. She's fine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
You're right, let's applaud her effort and ignore the red flags. That's a healthy discussion.

which red flags?

it would be easier to take seriously your claimed desire for a 'healthy discussion' if you hadn't worked so hard to establish yourself here as a serial inflamer.

Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

which red flags?

it would be easier to take seriously your claimed desire for a 'healthy discussion' if you hadn't worked so hard to establish yourself here as a serial inflamer.

Serial inflamer? LOL. Go smoke a bowl dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about just "asshole," then?

Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In video on weigh in she was 59kg ~ 129lb. at 5'7" not bad, before this it looks like she weighed in 112 according to wikipedia for her run days

Ruth Chepngetich who just set the womens modern half marathon WR this weekend 1:04:02 - 5'5" 106lb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Sadly Triathletemagazine.ca is reporting this as a world record in the article title:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...newly-releasedshoes/

They also reported Ironcowboy as doing Ironmans in their article title. In both articles they had all the caveats in the article, but they misrepresented the reality in both scenarios in article titles.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that but I think they were mixing up cuts of filming.

Later on the printouts for her watts and output etc. said 51kg which is 113lb.

She ate at KFC on the way home for goodness sake. She is as normal as can be for an elite athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
I thought that but I think they were mixing up cuts of filming.

Later on the printouts for her watts and output etc. said 51kg which is 113lb.

She ate at KFC on the way home for goodness sake. She is as normal as can be for an elite athlete.

Eating ONCE at KFC isn’t a testimonial for healthy eating habits.... not_at_all. Au contraire.

But who said being a world class endurance athlete is a blueprint for a healthy lifestyle?
It’s unsustainable long term without permanent damage.

Makes it even more sad it isn’t compensated accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Think of the damage caused to individuals by commenting on their weight and body image.

I totally agree with the basis of needing to be healthy in general but to aim that at one individual is harmful.

There shouldn’t be comments about this focussing on one individual. Look at Holly Bleasdale’s recent posts on British Athletics Instagram to understand the long term damage comments like this can have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
Think of the damage caused to individuals by commenting on their weight and body image.

Physique has an impact on sports performance. We're not discussing aesthetics but athletic potential. I sympathize with people who are self-conscious (or worse) when their appearance is a subject of public discussion, but this is the pro triathlon scene, athletes should get over it or retire.

I don't think Beth Potter is too skinny, that's a load of nonsense, by the way. She appears very much like many successful short-course triathletes.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

People that don’t/didn’t run track, or at the very least don’t follow it closely, have no idea the difference between world class running and everything else.

I would not disagree, but one could argue that maybe she is to running what Paul Biederman was to swimming i.e. a super responder to high tech gear.
and for triathlon this is an outstanding time.

Side note: At the 2008 Olympics Biederman placed 5th in the 200. Germany had a sponsorship with Arena and Arena simply didn't have a competitive suit. He went a 1:46.00 in the Olympic final in textile pants (he didn't wear a cap either, which is on him). He went a 1:42.00 a year later in a rubber suit. That is a huge improvement, sure, but it isn't really out of line with what other people did. Swimmers were dropping 1 sec per 100 over their full body SPEEDO LZR times set a year prior.

I dislike how Bob Bowman went out of this way to bully Biedermann in 2009 and discredit his records. And Bowman's efforts have painted how Biederman is remembered. If Phelps and Biederman had switched suits in 2008, Phelps would not have won the 200 free. And if Biederman had a LZR like Phelps, you never know what would have happened.

To your point, about Biederman responding better than other to the rubber suits. I only disagree to the extent that it is a discredit to him. From 2008 - 2011 he was on the short list as the best mid distance freestyler in the world. And unfortunately for him the suits are a distraction to that fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
In video on weigh in she was 59kg ~ 129lb. at 5'7" not bad, before this it looks like she weighed in 112 according to wikipedia for her run days

Ruth Chepngetich who just set the womens modern half marathon WR this weekend 1:04:02 - 5'5" 106lb

129lbs at 5'7" is totally fine! I used to weigh that at 5'8" when I was running my fastest times many eons ago.

I don't watch elite running so I guess I'm not used to seeing how lean they get.
112 seems crazy light for optimal triathlon performance at that height.
Losing over 10% of your body weight seems extreme though, yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:

I totally agree with the basis of needing to be healthy in general but to aim that at one individual is harmful.

There shouldn’t be comments about this focussing on one individual. Look at Holly Bleasdale’s recent posts on British Athletics Instagram to understand the long term damage comments like this can have.

You are right about children and Teen athletes, who can suffer damage from this. Absolutely.

But we are talking adults here.

I am an adult (or try to be).
I have been commented on my looks in unfavorable ways many times..
Sure it’s not nice and polite.
And sometimes it hurts.

But I am an adult. And adults should have the skills and means to deal with the ugly aspects of human interactions, aka life.
Or they’re in much bigger trouble than just body image..
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SheTries wrote:

You are right about children and Teen athletes, who can suffer damage from this. Absolutely.

But we are talking adults here.

I am an adult (or try to be).
I have been commented on my looks in unfavorable ways many times..
Sure it’s not nice and polite.
And sometimes it hurts.

But I am an adult. And adults should have the skills and means to deal with the ugly aspects of human interactions, aka life.
Or they’re in much bigger trouble than just body image..

don't think anyone has argued otherwise here. only that we can also hold ourselves to a higher standard - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
SheTries wrote:

Physique has an impact on sports performance. We're not discussing aesthetics but athletic potential. I sympathize with people who are self-conscious (or worse) when their appearance is a subject of public discussion, but this is the pro triathlon scene, athletes should get over it or retire.

I don't think Beth Potter is too skinny, that's a load of nonsense, by the way. She appears very much like many successful short-course triathletes.

There is 0 direct link between physique and performance. There is a link between body composition and performance, but it is not a direct linear or universal one. Like anything, everyone has unique individual physiological differences, and a different balance point at which point the trade-offs between strength/being lean/body weight, etc. swing to the side of diminished performance. What causes harm is the assertion or assumption that these links are universal, and that lean = fast, because that can push people to make bad decisions (yes, even adults). We shouldn't be judging athletes on how lean they look, either positively or negatively. We should be creating an environment that values health over aesthetics, and where coaches are not only accountable for performance, but the health of their athletes.

I've seen this to the extreme, at an NCAA indoor track meet, where the warm-up shirt of one of the throwers (who was a former runner) was an act of protest to such toxic coaching, and said "I'd rather throw and eat, than run and chuck". There's a balance to be had between race weight (or even strength/weight ratio), and resilience to injury, illness, etc. This is also not unique to female athletes (although unfortunately there's much more aesthetic and leanness pressure on female athletes, but you see comments on male pro cyclists as an example on their physique and the perceived link to their ability to perform).

Official Record or not, she's clearly performing well right now, and hopefully she can stay healthy and is not peaking too early away from the meaningful races (the old adage of "all dressed up with nowhere to go").

The last thing that we all need to be doing is mansplaining health and fitness advice to olympians...
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad for Beth Potter but this issue with the shoes must stop. It is obvious that the huge improvements in PBs, WRs, etc are bigger than the average of the progression in sports history in such a short period of time. I correlate this with the swim suits back in 2009. So, accepting that some people might disagree, you put the numbers on the table and there is no discussion. IMO, all these shoes should be banned. It is unrespectful with the athletes who run in the past on "standard" shoes, and let me say IAAF is doing a bad job.
In disciplines where time matters (athletics, swimming, track cycling...) you must be more fair...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Potter triathlete 5k WR [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
kajet wrote:
SheTries wrote:

There is 0 direct link between physique and performance. There is a link between body composition and performance, but it is not a direct linear or universal one.

Maybe I was trying to say "body composition", or maybe physique and body composition are related. Discussions about whether short-course triathletes "should" be skinnier and long-course triathletes "should" have larger fat deposits are as old as triathlon forums are.

Trauma wrote:
The last thing that we all need to be doing is mansplaining health and fitness advice to olympians...

See, your post started so well, and then you used the word "mansplain" because you disagreed with someone, and that is just so bad.

We're sports fans having a discussion. Anyone who wanted to "give health and fitness advice to olympians" would've sent them a direct message. (I'm sure some people do). Some have a tendency to tell sports fans to STFU because the athletes know better. I think you're mising the point of there being fans, forums, and stupid discussions.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next