Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How do you connect your Dura-Ace chain?

Paulo reincarnated....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s asking baiting/leading questions. If your are going to do molten wax, you need a chain that is easy to remove and reinstall. Wippermann gives you this. IIRC, the DA’s link is single use, which is a bad choice for molten waxing.

Wippermann and any wax for the win. But, there is very little incremental performance difference in designer waxes so it is hard to argue against basic wax. So, Wippermann and gulf wax for the real win.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 4, 21 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a wipperman link on my shimano chains, no problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driver_ian wrote:
I use a wipperman link on my shimano chains, no problem!

Wipperman links on shimano chains for me.

I tend to keep 2 pots of wax. One with regular paraffin one with additives. I do chains for others too so it depends on the quality of beer they offer. Leffe Blonde gets you additives
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've reused Shimano links at least 10 times, probably more. 105 through Dura Ace/XTR
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Budget?

These are some of the high impact items for your bike. But cost is the key limiter...
  1. Continental GP 5000 tires
  2. Latex tubes
  3. More aero front brake
  4. Waxed chain
  5. Cockpit
  6. Deeper front wheel
  7. Disc rear wheel
Solid advice.

Adding:
  • Baby powder your latex tubes. I have no idea what the right amount is.
  • Helmet?
  • Get your head down lower by whatever means necessary.
  • Take bar tape off.

Why baby powder on latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [Greenj5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It very much helps with pinch flats. I like to pour some in my hand and coat my tubes all the way around each time I do a tube install. It helps by having a friction barrier between the tire and tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! And very good to know. I’ll start doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do tt and not tri, but bought a fancy made for my bike front hydration system to use in training. That thing is sweet (despite missing parts in the box). I could see it being amazing for a triathlete.

At my pace of riding a single fill-up of it would be enough for folks doing a 1/2 IM. A full would need refills.

So, having a NICE and aero hydration setup is something that seems really tangible for the triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [Greenj5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no direct data to support this, but I think baby powder reduces friction internal to the tire/tube system and reduces rolling resistance as a result.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [Zambeziriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this mentioned yet. How is your current fit? Depending on your current fit, you could make the biggest gains just by getting fitted by one of the more reputable fitters (not all fitters are created equally).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Take bar tape off.

I cannot understand the obsession with having no bar tape on a tt or tri bike. How much difference can it possibly make aero/weight wise for this to be called an upgrade? I think the whole remove bar tape thing is stupid. If you wanna do it for looks, great I have no problem with that, but let's not pretend it's an upgrade that's going to make you faster. And it's a detriment to comfort, without question.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Take bar tape off.

I cannot understand the obsession with having no bar tape on a tt or tri bike. How much difference can it possibly make aero/weight wise for this to be called an upgrade? I think the whole remove bar tape thing is stupid. If you wanna do it for looks, great I have no problem with that, but let's not pretend it's an upgrade that's going to make you faster. And it's a detriment to comfort, without question.

It *may* if you run mechanical shifting or Di2 and don't have the brake shifter buttons. If you have Di2 and do have remote shifting on the brake levers......ain't no damn way it makes a difference. The diameter actually more closely matches the transition of brake body to bull horns with bar tape IMO.

On my old mech setup with open mold bars, sure. Bar tape would stick up above the brake hood/body. But Di2.......no way.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't buy this making any difference. On the marginal gains podcast josh at silca I recall said that not covering the valve hole on a disc wheel has no aero penalty, and how something like that seemingly should have an effect. Surely, the tiny, tiny difference in diameter of the brake lever vs basebar with or without bar tape can't make a measurable difference. Not apples to apples comparison I know, just saying. Im not an expert but I am a dedicated listener to that podcast and I just don't buy that something this insignificant would make a difference. And even if it did we're talking fractions of a watt with the downside of not being able to grip the bar if your hands are sweaty, and just general comfort and ergonomics. Which could be worth many whole watts in power transfer out of the saddle, or save you from crashing. Or both.

I just went and checked my bike, I have TRP mechanical levers, and with the base bar wrapped with tape the diameter of the lever where it meets the bar is still greater than the bar plus tape. So if the tape wasn't there the diameter difference would be even greater which theoretically should be worse aero, right?

This whole no bar tape thing is silly, I tell ya!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know...I do not think that the marginal improvement would be completely due to the reduction in size/diameter. It would also have to to with a reduction in surface friction. Furthermore, you referenced the newly accepted thought that covering the disk wheel cutout does not have any effect. That may or may not be. At any rate, the two parts of the bike see the wind resistance very differently. The disk wheel is rotating and is in "dirtier" air. Whereas the bull horns or aero bars are static and are among the first parts of the bike that needs to pierce the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike upgrades that are worth it [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I don't personally think that makes a difference, I'll indulge it. If we accept that theory, what are we talking about, fractions of a watt? How much do you think it would actually be worth, watt-wise? At the expense of being able to grip the bike out of the saddle (which could make up and exceed any aero difference), and possibly to prevent a crash under braking or something?

I actually just left a message for the podcast to address this, so maybe a true aero expert can weigh in. Josh if you read this, please consider this question!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome to have a true aero expert weigh in on that issue. I am just trying to justify the thinking in my layman's mind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next