Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Oregon (Salem) to be announced soon [HonestlyImChad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up cause I am a sucker for any new race on the West Coast. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Oregon (Salem) to be announced soon [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the Corvallis/Philomath area, about 45 minutes south of Salem. I've been here for more than 30 years, and I will not swim in the Willamette River. Some people will say that I'm paranoid, some that I'm over reacting, but I've seen the "oops, we spilled a bunch of raw sewage into the river" announcements more times than I'd care to count. And Salem is down-river from us. Downtown Salem is, in my opinion, also a cesspool...huge homeless and drug problem.

I'll be very curious to see the course maps and where it starts/ends; traffic near the capital is insane, even on weekends, so it'll be interesting to see how they manage this.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Last edited by: OtterJohn: Apr 6, 21 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Oregon (Salem) to be announced soon [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to school at OSU and loved it. I think it would be a much nicer place to hold a 70.3 in my opinion! I know when I was younger, if you swam in the Willamette, everyone knew you swam in the Willamette because it smelled so bad. There are a lot of drugs in the downtown area for sure, I used to ride from Keizer up and over the West Salem hill each day and always saw rampant drug use. The traffic is absolutely incredible, like 1 mile in an hour. More people cross the bridge from downtown to West Salem than go through Salem on I5 if that gives any idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Oregon (Salem) to be announced soon [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The river is tested very regularly and often test better than most lakes in the surrounding areas. Its funny how people are scared of the river but jump head first into algae.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Oregon (Salem) to be announced soon [HonestlyImChad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, I don't swim in algae, either! :) But I know plenty of people who do...yuck!

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply

Prev Next