Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stryd (running) power meter [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
Still, you have another leg potentially going haywire... or not.
I hope they do it. I have a janky knee that acts up now and then. When it is acting up, I know that I adjust my stride to favor it. I would really like to see an analytical view of what I am doing and how much it impacts me. For example, on my bike, I can clearly see my power power balance shift and other pedal dynamics change when my knee is acting up. That is my red flag to back off so I do not do real damage. And on the other side, when my knee feels fine, I still tend to still favor it on the bike out of habit. So, when I see this, I consciously focus on a more even power balance to try to reinforce that habit when things are feeling good.

I wish I had that for the the run too.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd (running) power meter [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s it. I think it requires their HRM straps or the foot pod, per the info listed there:

Quote:
The best news? If you already own the right Garmin devices, adding power to your run is free. All you need is a compatible Garmin watch and 1 of these 3 accessories:
- HRM-Run™ (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530376)
- HRM-Tri™ (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/136403)
- Running Dynamics Pod (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561205)

Visit the Running Dynamics page to learn more (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/runningdynamics/).
Last edited by: codygo: Apr 1, 21 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also just found out about this https://runscribe.com/red/

I think that's a great deal, and I'm buying in!

Quote:
Introducing RunScribe Red

Our Next Generation Gait Analysis Platform
new specs (over RunScribe Plus) :

Battery Life – 3-4x improvement over RS Plus
Processor – 2x Program / 4x RAM
Flash Memory – 2x (32MB)
BT File Sync – 8-16x speed improvement
Sensor
--4x improvement in Gyro/Accel noise/drift
--1000Hz capable
--2x Pressure sensor resolution

What does that mean in practical terms? It gives me the opportunity to continue to grow the platform, with higher resolution data, new/additional metrics and visualizations. All while syncing much faster than the current RS Plus pods, and a 3-4x improvement in battery life!
Just use the Add to Cart buttons below to place your order and get in the queue – the special pricing you see here will be for the first 100 orders. I’m targeting a June 1st launch, but will do what I can to speed that up. Getting your orders in early will definitely help!
I’ll also be dropping the price of RunScribe Plus soon – to $299 for RS Plus (Foot) and $449 for RS Plus (Foot/Sacral). But for now, you can enter the code SAVE30 (for 30% off), and you’ll get even better pricing [note – this is only for RunScribe Plus, RunScribe Red is pre-discounted!] I will continue to support RS Plus, so it’s a great time to pick up an extra set for your clinic, or to upgrade if you’re still on an older version of RunScribe!
Last edited by: codygo: Apr 1, 21 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using one of the Stryd units with the wind sensor for a year and a bit.

Short answer: It's fine, I guess?

Long answer:
Setting aside what some other people have brought up (one-leg data only, not a "true power" the same way as a cycling power meter), the biggest reason I bought one was to get consistent footpod data across multiple sets of shoes, and add a source of barometric elevation. My watch at the time, a Suunto Spartan Trainer, didn't have a barometric sensor and could only pair to one footpod at a time, and would have funny data when moving footpods between shoes or switching to a different footpod (both MilestonePod units). The power was just a potential bonus for me. As it worked out, it's meeting my needs just fine. Accuracy and responsiveness are better than the MilestonePod, especially for treadmill. I also get consistent pace/distance when moving between shoes.

The thing is, I've been running moderately seriously since middle school, so I haven't really gotten any benefits out of pacing with power. I can already pretty consistently run even splits or progressions on flat courses, and can hit arbitrary times on the track by effort, so long as I've done speedwork recently. Even for a tempo run on light rolling hills, my negative-split effort just on perceived exertion (no checking the watch at all) already correlates with fairly consistent power without much spiking and 5-10W higher on the second half. Their Running Stress Score metric even tracks pretty much in parallel with the Skiba GOVSS (Gravity-oriented Velocity Stress Score?) metric in GoldenCheetah, which only requires speed and elevation changes. So, I basically already had most of what Stryd could have given me, though I haven't tried to get anything out of the more detailed leg-swing metrics they report.

Now, if you don't have the 15+ years of experience and tons of miles that I have to gain that experience? I can see Stryd as giving a lot of objective feedback that you can use to help calibrate how you feel and develop more as a runner without it taking as long as it took me. For me, it's not much more than a fun toy that makes my inner data nerd happy with having a few more numbers to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
In running, one could have stride length differences, and other kinematic asymmetries at hips, knee, and ankle joints. If the leg with a Stryd sensor is left “dead” and one hops with the other leg, what would it report? There’s assumed symmetry and the errors are likely to be more severe than single-sided cycling power meter measurements since there are more degrees of freedom to go wrong.

Even the dead leg needs to travel the same distance in the same amount of time as the dominant leg. You might have differences in stride height if you're dragging the dead one around, but stride length needs to be equal between each leg.

What doesn't change also is your weight - the two leg system still has to run your body a set distance, over the same hills, against the same wind, etc.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 1, 21 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the same price, buy the Coros Pace 2 instead. It has in-built power that matches Stryd perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd (running) power meter [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
codygo wrote:
In running, one could have stride length differences, and other kinematic asymmetries at hips, knee, and ankle joints. If the leg with a Stryd sensor is left “dead” and one hops with the other leg, what would it report? There’s assumed symmetry and the errors are likely to be more severe than single-sided cycling power meter measurements since there are more degrees of freedom to go wrong.

Even the dead leg needs to travel the same distance in the same amount of time as the dominant leg. You might have differences in stride height if you're dragging the dead one around, but stride length needs to be equal between each leg.

What doesn't change also is your weight - the two leg system still has to run your body a set distance, over the same hills, against the same wind, etc.

The thing is, it does not travel the same distance. Only in a crude bulk measurement owing to it being stuck to one’s hip is that statement meaningful, but if we consider the thigh and calves to have their own center of mass, and trace the distance of those centers of mass along with rotations and respective velocities, then we see they are not the same.

The (implicit) assumption here is that energy is conserved, but that is not correct. If one takes a leg in state A and move it to state B, one does not know anything about the power or work required to change states because internal work is not conserved, and what we care about is metabolic power. One needs to know, or reasonably estimate the path the leg took to change states, along with the velocities along that path.

Imagine someone running while having to clear an arbitrary set of hurdles or water puddles, only with their un-sensored leg, while the other side with a sensor performs a standard running gait. Surely both legs are still attached at the hip, but now one leg is performing an extra unmodeled movement or exchanging momentum to something that isn’t solid ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. It’s “fine.” I was really into it for a few months but at the end of the day I just didn’t really find the real time power that useful. The main benefit is I like the faster response to pace changes when doing interval workouts. I could see it being more useful if you were a single sport runner. When I run on the treadmill the data is garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
To be sure-
This IQ App:

https://apps.garmin.com/...e2-86b5-14bd47e29391

And it won’t work with the newer Wahoo TickrX?

Only the newer Garmin HRM-Run

Many thanks!

So did you get to try it out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The running power portion aside (I'll let others wade into that debate) it's a really fantastic footpod. I use my Stryd as my primary speed/distance device on my watch and let GPS mainly give me a pretty picture for Strava. I had a couple areas that were curvy paths through heavily wooded areas that I would usually avoid running in because I would "slow down" through there and of course my worth is tied to the data displayed on my watch. Now I run that path with confidence because I get accurate data on the distance.

Also, they try to tease out how much power you lose because of your form. I've tried to do a couple km with "super smooth" form and a couple km with "terrible" form and it does notice a pretty significant difference. I can also see from the form power that it correlates to how tired my legs were feeling going into the run. There is something there to be had in running power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works great (for me) ......... and never knew I had it!!! How much do I owe you? Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
I also just found out about this https://runscribe.com/red/

From the front page of their web site:

Quote:
PLEASE REMEMBER, RUNSCRIBE IS A PROFESSIONAL GRADE GAIT ANALYSIS PLATFORM … DESIGNED FOR EXPERIENCED GAIT PROFESSIONALS. IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A STRYD ALTERNATIVE, RUNSCRIBE ISN’T IT!
Last edited by: sathomasga: Apr 18, 21 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd (running) power meter [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’m aware of their history. What I want is almost the raw hardware and data. I think they had issues with customers finding that their calculated distance wasn’t the same as gps and similar nonsense. I think their marketing to researchers and labs is primarily to scare away the people who aren’t looking a data toy to experiment with, while allowing them to charge more to the limited client base that really wants that level of access.

They have a software development tools for their hardware that I plan to use for cycling as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next