Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo S5 (2017 - rim brake) - does it still stack up against the rest?
Quote | Reply
I am currently looking to build up a Crit bike. I have a new Ultegra tim brake groupset sitting around plus a tririg front brake so was looking a rim brake framesets. There aren't many rim brake models around these days and a Bianchi XR4 or Dogma12 frameset is a bit too much to want to risk on a Tuesday bun fight. So mainly looking at 2nd hand models. Being a TT'er I tend to do better if I can get in small brake aways so the aero route seems good. I wondered how the old S5 stacks up against newer bikes. I still ride Plasma 3 and a P5/3 in TT's and don't feel I am giving anything away there to newer bikes really.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S5 (2017 - rim brake) - does it still stack up against the rest? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
I am currently looking to build up a Crit bike. I have a new Ultegra tim brake groupset sitting around plus a tririg front brake so was looking a rim brake framesets. There aren't many rim brake models around these days and a Bianchi XR4 or Dogma12 frameset is a bit too much to want to risk on a Tuesday bun fight. So mainly looking at 2nd hand models. Being a TT'er I tend to do better if I can get in small brake aways so the aero route seems good. I wondered how the old S5 stacks up against newer bikes. I still ride Plasma 3 and a P5/3 in TT's and don't feel I am giving anything away there to newer bikes really.

Do you wear a San Remo suit? Fastest road helmet? Does your team ever get anyone into the breaks with you?

Those things will likely play out a lot more than a frameset assuming it isn't a total dog. That S5 you mention would be more than enough. Ride smart. Get small when working.

You likely already know that from the sound of it. So, if it's in budget get what you want. I don't think you'd go wrong with anything made in the last 6 years or so. Shoot, there's good crit folks riding open mold Chinese framesets.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S5 (2017 - rim brake) - does it still stack up against the rest? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info though was more after specific info on the old S5 and how it rides, disadvantages against newer bike eg tyre clearance etc.

Otherwise fairly sorted in how I ride & kit as I use our Team kit so have Champion system & Nopinz/Aerocoach skinsuits in Team colours. Position wise / helmets etc I am fairly dialled. Generally ride my Previous Gen 2014 Ultimate without much issue (though the reach is a bit short so had to move to a 130 stem or an old original Scott Foil 30 (now on winter duty) so have no issues racing older bikes just want to make sure it's a decent choice to throw some €£€ on or if there are other reasonably priced options to fit the bill slightly better.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S5 (2017 - rim brake) - does it still stack up against the rest? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2015 S5 that I got a good deal on used last year, and built it up with ultegra di2 and some hed jet 6's. I'm extremely happy with the bike. It's stiff, at least stiff enough for me (~300 w FTP, 1200 watt sprint) in a 58cm frame. It is a little "chattery" if that's a thing, but hard to know if that's a wheel/tire thing or frame thing (I am leaning towards wheel/tire, but what do I know). If I was to get back into crits and RR's, I don't think this frame would hold me back in the least, and my finishing position would have nothing to do with this bike. It does feel nice and fast when out on my own on a nice flat/rolling road. Way better than my older round tube giant tcr that it replaced.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the R5 but in a similar situation last year I decided to buy myself the best rim brake I could configure. So I started from a 2017 Scott Foil HMX rim, which is in the same league as the R5. The question is not how much I am giving compared to a 2021 disc brake frame set but the opposite. For as long as you have good brakes and wheels.
Quote Reply