Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If I do 2 Bike workouts a week for Fitness what should they look like?
Quote | Reply
No racing for me this year. I plan to do lots of mtb, maybe some gravel riding and casual road rides. Although this will help keep my fitness up, much of it will be casual with my wife and friends so I plan to do rides a week that are dedicated workouts.

I am thinking 45min - 1hr; 2x per week. I am not expecting gains or anything just maintain some solid fitness. Will either zwift or ride outside. What should these workouts look like?
Quote Reply
Re: If I do 2 Bike workouts a week for Fitness what should they look like? [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take your pick..

GCN Training - YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: If I do 2 Bike workouts a week for Fitness what should they look like? [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you want to do to have fun! The harder the better

If I only got to ride 2x / week, no way I’d make them intervals.

Go ride as hard as you want and have some freedom :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do one Threshold session (2x20, 3x15, 4x10, etc.) and then one higher end VO2 session (3 sets of 10x30s/30s, pyramid 30/60/90/120/180/120/90/60/30, etc). That would likely give you the most bang for your buck and then add on the casual rides for base/easy miles wherever possible
Quote Reply
Re: If I do 2 Bike workouts a week for Fitness what should they look like? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
I would do one Threshold session (2x20, 3x15, 4x10, etc.) and then one higher end VO2 session (3 sets of 10x30s/30s, pyramid 30/60/90/120/180/120/90/60/30, etc). That would likely give you the most bang for your buck and then add on the casual rides for base/easy miles wherever possible

I'd sort of riff off this idea, and do a threshold block (4-6 weeks) and then a VO2 block (4-6 weeks), basically alternate between trying to get your aerobic ceiling as high as possible (VO2), and then trying to pull your threshold up to a high percentage of that ceiling (Threshold). By the end of 4-6 weeks, maybe you are getting tired of longer intervals, so switch it up and go super hard with VO2 work, then as you get tired of that (and VO2 responds pretty darn quickly), go back to threshold. One caveat to this, is if you are seeing really good gains from threshold, and/or your threshold power is a low % of VO2 (<80%), I'd add a second block of threshold if you are still mentally cool with it.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yikes wrote:
No racing for me this year. I plan to do lots of mtb, maybe some gravel riding and casual road rides. Although this will help keep my fitness up, much of it will be casual with my wife and friends so I plan to do rides a week that are dedicated workouts.

I am thinking 45min - 1hr; 2x per week. I am not expecting gains or anything just maintain some solid fitness. Will either zwift or ride outside. What should these workouts look like?

Who cares what those rides look like. Whatever you have more fun with. It only matters what those workouts look like if you are training to measure your performance. That measurement can be in racing or self measured. Do you care about performance improvement, in which case, fine design a performance focused view of your workouts. If you are training for pleasure, design whatever makes you happy.
Quote Reply