Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 920XT barometric altimeter ... impresses?
Quote | Reply
I ran some short (30 sec) hill repeats today. The elevation profile on Garmin Connect looked ... good? I was surprised enough to pull off the peaks and valleys of the altimeter-based elevation to see how consistent they were. My start/stop positions were pretty consistent. Here's what I got... Top of the hill: 641, 640, 640, 640, 639, 641, 640 (all in feet). Bottom: 605, 606, 604, 605, 605, 604, 604. Maybe someone will report a standard deviation or some such and report that this is terrible performance - but I was super impressed. I'm not quiet about the failings of my 920XT (I'm looking at you, barometric altimeter that has failed once (Garmin replaced with a refurb) and failed a 2nd time (restored by some Garmin tech support magic reset)), so I thought that I'd offer a little positive shout out here.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT barometric altimeter ... impresses? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had several 910 and 920xt.
The barometer was always good.
Until it went wrong. Which it did.
That's where i think everyone's moans are. The ongoing failures across multiple watches and the best part of a decade.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT barometric altimeter ... impresses? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your experience ends up anything like most of us, after a couple of months of swimming the barometric altimeter will become completely useless. Mine always says I'm at 50,000 feet
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT barometric altimeter ... impresses? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nce you get to 50000 feet, Garmin sends you a new one. I have upcycled through failures from a 910 to 920 to 935. Garmin support is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT barometric altimeter ... impresses? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
If your experience ends up anything like most of us, after a couple of months of swimming the barometric altimeter will become completely useless. Mine always says I'm at 50,000 feet

I can beat that.
Two of mine got to something like 63k and a bit. Then slowly counts down to zero. Then straight back to 63xxx feet, and repeat.
Quote Reply