Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Everesting record [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
One of my athletes did 7.04 a couple of weeks ago - 10min up, 93-95s down
Too many corners to get a really fast descent time and the wind switched from favourable in the morning to very unfavourable later (next days were going to be raining so couldn't wait for better).

Wasn't really dipping into FRC as 10mins a bit long for that and for the duration our planning more like IM - decoupling and fade based (you can see the last 5 laps were pretty ugly - dropped to 300-310)
Also the mFTP is affected by team having Shimano PM

Great data. Thank you for sharing. Looks like he was doing most climbs at ~90% of FTP right? Maybe roughly 91-93% of FTP if looking at NP, instead of absolute power??

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robmitchell wrote:
Given the recent attempts-

What would the ideal course be?

1/2 mile to 1 mile at what percent climb 7-12%, or is that rider dependent?

tail wind, low traffic, and room for turn around on a lesser steep bottom 2-4% to allow for a smooth u-turn.

Not interested for myself, just curious reading the attempts seem to have gone to a shorter, steeper, straighter hill.
It seems mentally the more repeats would be harder, but maybe pain is pain...

What tires did he use?

Rob

Definitely want as straight a course as possible because you would be “super-tucking” on the descent and that is far from ideal for cornering. My guess would be a descending CdA of around 0.15 and ascending value of 0.35-0.4, which probably explains the advantage of the tailwind.
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
robmitchell wrote:
Given the recent attempts-

What would the ideal course be?

1/2 mile to 1 mile at what percent climb 7-12%, or is that rider dependent?

tail wind, low traffic, and room for turn around on a lesser steep bottom 2-4% to allow for a smooth u-turn.

Not interested for myself, just curious reading the attempts seem to have gone to a shorter, steeper, straighter hill.
It seems mentally the more repeats would be harder, but maybe pain is pain...

What tires did he use?

Rob

Definitely want as straight a course as possible because you would be “super-tucking” on the descent and that is far from ideal for cornering. My guess would be a descending CdA of around 0.15 and ascending value of 0.35-0.4, which probably explains the advantage of the tailwind.

If steep enough hill is selected (>12%) super tuck is only going to make a couple seconds difference and that advantage might be entirely negated by the effort to hold a stable/safe supertuck position compared to just getting a little lower in the front but not on your top tube. This coming from a chronic supertuck advocate. (me) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
If steep enough hill is selected (>12%) super tuck is only going to make a couple seconds difference and that advantage might be entirely negated by the effort to hold a stable/safe supertuck position compared to just getting a little lower in the front but not on your top tube. This coming from a chronic supertuck advocate. (me) :)

He did 75 laps, so 2 secs/lap would be 2-1/2 minutes.

Ideally, you'd want the profile to be as close to a brachistochrone as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point, to me anyway, the most bang for your optimization buck is going to be simply finding a good way to ensure you're doing the right number of sets. Each of these Records still has an extra few sets- just in case. Are they including those sets in the total or are they just counting all sets in the time until they hit the right elevation?

Given that this thing isn't yet held by a TDF calibre climber in his prime, at peak season (the way an hour record might go), it hasn't mattered that much. My guess is that as the record comes down in seconds and not chunks of minutes, that's going to start to matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said on Phil's Youtube that he was in better shape, his bike weighed 1k less, and he was better prepared. Also said he flatted just after the turnaround and was going about 40kph when it happened.
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Ideally, you'd want the profile to be as close to a brachistochrone as possible.
Maybe I'm just wildly unfit, but there is a significant reduction in energy renewal rate when I'm supertucked compared to just tucking while on saddle. So much so that the 2.5 minutes would absolutely be outweighed by lower power available for climbing for the other 7hrs (assuming I was anywhere near that performance ballpark, which I am not).

Re: brachistocrone. Yes, for the descent. But...
  1. Per Everesting.cc rules: There can't be any ascent in the descent.
  2. Relatively flat riding for the ascent is also suboptimal due to drag losses during power exertion being amplified.

Intuitively, it seems like maybe just having the road tilt up towards 14-16% at the very top would be optimal. Moves it slightly towards brachistocrone territory but without the two major tradeoffs listed above. Cost of that end-of-segment tilt up though is increased power required to stay near optimal cadence, or sub-optimal cadence for segment target power. Either way, the tilt up should be subtle, ideally.

Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I think ideally, it would be determined by the descent, which seems odd since usually the slowest part of a course is the place where you can potentially save the most time. However, as I said above, this isn't anywhere near a steady state effort so I think the way to optimize is to pace it so that you can just barely recover on the descent. You can't overfill a battery so if the descent is too long you're wasting opportunities to fill W'. It's like trying to refill an empty glass from a faucet with a constant stream of water. If the descent is too short you can't refill the glass, if the descent is too long the glass got full and you're just wasting water.

In addition, you do want to accelerate on the descent as quickly as possible and the best way to do that is with gravity, so you want the top turnaround to be as steep as possible.

The ideal bottom turnaround would be one of those walls that downhill MTB'ers use to change direction like on those Red Bull runs.

I don't think I can say what his tire was until he does, but you can look at the lists of the tires with the lowest testing rolling resistance and note that the very lowest RR tires aren't terribly robust.

Thoughts on Vaughters' 'ideal'?

https://cyclingtips.com/...s-everesting-record/
Last edited by: NAB777: Mar 31, 21 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
Thoughts on Vaughters' 'ideal'?

https://cyclingtips.com/...s-everesting-record/

I think if Ronan's laps were a little longer, his rear tire would've had a better chance of lasting. You lose a little time at the turnarounds, too, so 75 laps wasn't ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
So I was curious about this as well, especially that front end. That's clearly the Delta cover, but the brake shoe shown in that picture is clearly not an Omega brake. Entirely possible he just swapped the brake shoes out for something lighter, but definitely an interesting choice to rig a Delta cover on there. Absurd how much he beat the record by...
EE brake front and rear with the Delta cover only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
RChung wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Maybe I'm just wildly unfit, but there is a significant reduction in energy renewal rate when I'm supertucked compared to just tucking while on saddle. So much so that the 2.5 minutes would absolutely be outweighed by lower power available for climbing for the other 7hrs (assuming I was anywhere near that performance ballpark, which I am not).

Re: brachistocrone. Yes, for the descent. But...
  1. Per Everesting.cc rules: There can't be any ascent in the descent.
  2. Relatively flat riding for the ascent is also suboptimal due to drag losses during power exertion being amplified.

Intuitively, it seems like maybe just having the road tilt up towards 14-16% at the very top would be optimal. Moves it slightly towards brachistocrone territory but without the two major tradeoffs listed above. Cost of that end-of-segment tilt up though is increased power required to stay near optimal cadence, or sub-optimal cadence for segment target power. Either way, the tilt up should be subtle, ideally.

IMHO, the steeper the better at the top (Ronan's hill averaged ~23% at the top section). You're trying to minimize horizontal distance for the vertical altitude ascended, you can always gear REALLY low to not be cadence limited in the steeps, and you want the biggest push from gravity accelerating you back down the hill after the upper turn. ;-)

At the bottom, you want a relatively flat(ter) turnaround point, with a wide area to do the turn, in order to maintain speed through that turnaround. If you have to nearly come to a complete stop just to turn back uphill, that's a lot of wasted time and energy. I like Robert's idea of a banked bottom turn :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Everesting record [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I like Robert's idea of a banked bottom turn :-)
We'll make millions on the TV rights.
Quote Reply

Prev Next