Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter Options for Kickr Core - Built-In or Crank-Based?
Quote | Reply
Picking up a Kickr Core and a Zwift subscription to hopefully survive the Texas summer with some consistency on the bike while training for my first 70.3. Yes, I'm a very late adopter here. My bike has a single sided Stages power meter, and I understand the Kickr core also has built in "power". Are there benefits to using the built-in Wahoo power over my power meter? Also, is it best to use Bluetooth or ANT+? I do have an ANT+ adapter and extension cable if that's the better option over Bluetooth. I have heard of folks using their bike computer and power meter as a backup in the event Zwift/Wahoo experience dropouts, but that seems like it would create duplicate workouts uploaded to Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Options for Kickr Core - Built-In or Crank-Based? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A single sided "power meter" is really more of a "power estimator" in my opinion. It may be worthwhile using both and comparing the two sets of data to get an idea of how any leg imbalances may be impacting conisistency of the data from the Stages device. Record your Stages data to your watch or head unit as you do now, and use the Kickr power on Zwift. That'll give you two sets of data you can compare.
Alternatively, if you just want to be able to compare outdoor and indoor performances and you're not bothered about accuracy, use the Stages for both since the Kickr isn't an option outdoors. Bear in mind the trainer should be exposed to slightly lower power value than the crank, since it's the other end of the drive chain and some losses will have occurred in between.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Options for Kickr Core - Built-In or Crank-Based? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you run through the calibration routine on the Wahoo app when you get the trainer, and then whenever you move it, you should get better power numbers from the Kickr than your Stages since it's double sided. It is worthwhile to compare both devices as the previous poster mentioned, if both agree then you likely have good power balance, if they disagree, it's most likely that your Stages is inaccurate due to a leg imbalance. But the only way to be sure would be to compare with a known accurate power source.

One of the problems with single sided power meters is that your balance can change depending on the power level, I know I have a pretty significant imbalance at lower power levels but it gets more even at higher power levels, and this can vary person to person. Personally I'd just use the Kickr as your power source but it's your choice.

I believe the general consensus is that Ant is more reliable than Bluetooth so I would use the dongle and the extension cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Options for Kickr Core - Built-In or Crank-Based? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have mentioned that my road bike is equipped with the SRAM Quarq spider-based power meter, which gives me my LR balance. I decided I didn't need that for the tri bike since I know my balance is pretty evenly split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is really a 50-50 proposition, depending on your personal preferences. I think the Core is decently accurate now on power. The single-sided Stages is an unknown.

I would ride with both for a while and compare your numbers between the two to judge relative consistency. If they are wildly different, you have a problem. They could be different because one is just plain inaccurate. Or, they could be different because you have a power imbalance. In that case, I would use the Stages because that gives you the best likelihood of having repeatable, consistent power between indoor and outdoor rides.

If they are similar, then it probably does not matter which you use. The Core may be more accurate overall, but the Stages does give you that inside/outside consistency.

Bluetooth vs. Ant+ mostly depends on your hardware. I used an Ant+ dongle with TrainerRoad for years, because they did not have support for Windows 10 built-in BT hardware. Now they do, so I use BT. I have not noticed any difference in performance. I use Ant+ with all of my head units for all of my accessories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just whichever one you pick for indoors, be consistent. It's my understanding (I don't have a smart trainer) that Zwift erg mode is better if you use the trainer as a power source than if you use the PM as the power source, if you are planning on using erg. so that might be a factor.

but as far as using the same PM indoors and out, often your numbers are going to be different outside vs inside anyway (mine are).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have played with multiple setup in terms of power connection...
1. read from stages control by wahoo,
pro: same power meter data for indoors and outdoors
con: wahoo connection drops/lag due to data syncing between wahoo and stages

2. read and control by wahoo
pro: no drops, consistent connection
con: indoor and outdoor data will be off by 15-40watts (2 different ftps for indoor and outdoor)

Solution
1. power read and control by wahoo -> data goes to strava
2. same time run gps watch/bike computer as bike indoors training and connect it to stages -> data goes to garmin/training peaks...

in my case zwift/yahoo power is usually 20-30 watts more that power meter readings(sometimes power numbers are same for mid 90 cadence but 20-30 watts off for low 80s cadence (i have no idea why)), same time in terms of training all I care is power from power meter

hope ^^ helps
Last edited by: SBR.NYC: Mar 30, 21 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with a Core a month or so ago (it's great). Use P1 pedals. I A/B'd them with the Wahoo and there were some surprisingly (to me) significant differences. I use the P1 for power (1) since that is what I use outside and (2) never have to worry about the Core calibration (which is no big deal and takes all of 30 seconds). I have no issues using BT
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Options for Kickr Core - Built-In or Crank-Based? [SBR.NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR.NYC wrote:
I have played with multiple setup in terms of power connection...
1. read from stages control by wahoo,
pro: same power meter data for indoors and outdoors
con: wahoo connection drops/lag due to data syncing between wahoo and stages

2. read and control by wahoo
pro: no drops, consistent connection
con: indoor and outdoor data will be off by 15-40watts (2 different ftps for indoor and outdoor)

Solution
1. power read and control by wahoo -> data goes to strava
2. same time run gps watch/bike computer as bike indoors training and connect it to stages -> data goes to garmin/training peaks...

in my case zwift/yahoo power is usually 20-30 watts more that power meter readings(sometimes power numbers are same for mid 90 cadence but 20-30 watts off for low 80s cadence (i have no idea why)), same time in terms of training all I care is power from power meter

hope ^^ helps

This is very helpful, great idea. I'd prefer to have Garmin as my "pristine" training log, so it makes sense to use the same power meter for indoor and outdoor activities. Now I just need to see if I can upload only the Outdoor activities from my Garmin 530 to Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Now I just need to see if I can upload only the Outdoor activities from my Garmin 530 to Strava.
If you figure this out, please post. I capture my indoor workouts on both Garmin & TrainerRoad. Both push to Strava, so I always have to just delete my Garmin instance in Strava. Not terrible, but I would prefer the selective syncing.

As an FYI, when apps try to push workouts that look identical to Strava, Strava will reject the 2nd workout it sees. This happens occasionally for me, so I always wait for my TrainerRoad workout to make it to Strava before I save my Garmin workout (which triggers its push to Strava).
Quote Reply