Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Presidential Traverse/White Mountains
Quote | Reply
I did a search here, and the last related post I could find was from 2005.

Anyone done this traverse? My wife and I are visiting her best friend in NH in June and plan to do some hiking in the White Mountains. I was hoping to try and run this route, if my ankle continues to do OK. This route looks incredible, with it being above treeline, but looks like there is a lot to beware
Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Traverse/White Mountains [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a shit-ton to beware of, not the least of which being the weather. I have not run it but have a few buddies that have.

One of the guys I know who has done it said that his biggest challenge was fueling during the run. He was doing it completely self-supported, and just didn't bring enough of nor the correct fuel. I believe he used this to dial in his nutrition, as he has since won a 3-day ultra stage race.

One thing that he always does when he makes runs like this, is he will run with his avalanche beacon. Overkill? Maybe - but keep in mind that there is essentially no cell coverage up there, so it's something to think about.

Fitness is an obvious here - pushing 30 miles (depending on which route you're looking at - there are some slight variations) with a lot of it being above 4500' is certainly no joke.

But you also mention your ankle: do you have weak ankles or coming off an injury? Are you from the east, or have a lot of experience running/hiking out here? Lots of loose rocks/shale that can turn an ankle quickly. Actually, just lots of rock, period: loose rocks, ledge, drainage basins, etc. Not someplace you wanna risk getting stuck on a hobbled ankle.

If you do go, just make sure you completely understand all the risks, and be overly prepared.
Watch the weather carefully, plan the route well - and know your drop-outs in case something unforeseen happens (storm comes in, injury, slower than you anticipated, etc), try to either get someone who is familiar with it sherpa you and/or have someone meet you along the way at different intervals to resupply you.

The best thing you can do is buy your NH Hike Safe Card: https://wildlife.state.nh.us/safe/
For $25 per person/$35 per family, it's cheap insurance in case of trouble.

'm sure there are plenty of people here that can give you more and better info than I can, but these are just a few things that I can think of. Good luck and hve fun!
- Jeff
Last edited by: jkstevens: Mar 30, 21 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather, weather, weather is the most important part of this.

My buddy and I did it as a fast hike this summer and weather was 10 out of 10.

You can get snow on Washington in august, if you take a look at the memorial board at the Washington visitors center there's a lot of fatalities due to hypothermia, in July and August!

There's good access to water along the route and I found the greatest issue was overdoing it on fueling.

Other main issue is logistics with planing transport since this is a point to point job. I found camping overnight at dolly cop campground and leaving from there in the AM was pretty good.

But ya, biggest issue is weather. if its close to questionable I'd say its a no go.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've hiked parts of it. It's rocky. It's rough. It's got no switchbacks. It's almost all exposed. It can be miserable weather - it can be hot with no shade for miles, or it can be snowing in August, or it can be 200 mph winds.

June can be the most volatile time. It can be really, really miserable. Or it can be 60 and sunny and calm. Check Mt Washington Observatory's high peak forecast for the exact right day. https://www.mountwashington.org/...summit-forecast.aspx

If your ankle doesn't feel up to running, hiking the complete traverse in one day is a challenge too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it - the others all gave great advice.

There are sections where you definitely want healthy ankles - large rock fields you're picking your way through where it's easy to turn an ankle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ‘ran’ the Presidentials back in July 2019. I’ve just dug up the Garmin file to remind myself of the details. I parked at the Highland Center and took their bus to the Appalachia Trailhead to make the run north to south. The downside to this is the first bus is around 9am (I think) and it is an hour or so north so it is a late start on the trail.

There’s a lot of good information on the route online. You will soon realize that its super steep to begin with. A lot of fast and steep hiking with occasional jogs, for me at least. Once I summited Mt Washington the terrain was much more runnable and I still remember this incredible runners high running late in the afternoon above the tree line. It’s stunning up there.

There are options to run the full or minimal traverse. I ran the full and according to my Garmin 935 I recorded 12 hours (cumulative time, 8:15 moving time) and 28.29 miles. Ive found no reports online that show it being 28.29 miles so take that with a grain of salt! Average moving pace was 17:31/ml! Elevation gain 9895’. Whatever the details I descended from the last hut in the dark, probably reaching the car at 10:30pm. Ideally I would have been dropped off at the trailhead at 5 or 6am and then I would have done the whole thing in the daylight.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the area but the weather on Mt Washington can be extreme (and often is!) The highest wind speed ever recorded was on Mt Washington in April 1934 -231mph!! No matter the time of year the weather in the valley below can be drastically different from above the tree line, and the summit weather can change fast. Pay close attention to the mountain forecast (try the Mount Washington Observatory forecast https://www.mountwashington.org/...hington-weather.aspx ) and be prepared for the worst. People get in trouble up there regularly. Not only is the weather often unpredictable it’s also a rocky route with plenty of opportunity to roll an ankle or worse. There are different trail options for getting off of the mountain particularly if you can call for a ride from whichever trail head you arrive at. Make sure you know them (escape routes). If you leave a car at the Highland Center like I did then you are somewhat committed to finish the route.

I used the Alltrails Pro app to verify that I was on the right route. I also took a map and compass. I filled up water three times at huts along the route. I took time to sit and take in the view, but not to much - its a long day! I’m not sure how COVID has affected the AMC huts and bus service for 2021. I think the bus was not running last year.

I am happy to answer any questions if I can. I love this route and plan to do it again this year, hopefully with an earlier start and finish! There are better (smoother) trails for running but for a point to point adventure in New England this is right up there. Not necessary for the run but if you want to learn more about the history of the mountain then ‘Not Without Peril - 150 years of misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire’ is well worth a read. People have been getting in trouble up there since day 1.
Last edited by: east31: Mar 30, 21 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Traverse/White Mountains [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to read other's reports of their Presidential Traverse. A few commented that only about 30% of the route is runnable. Most of it is so steep, or rocky, that you end up hiking instead of running. Almost everyone of them comment about the extreme weather. Yeah, there's no way I'll start if the Mt Washington forecast looks to be even remotely sketchy.

Nutrition wise, I'll do like I did when I ran the Grand Canyon R2R2R, and just take it all with me in my pack. That was A LOT of gels and bars but it worked and kept me nutritionally well for the entire journey.

I do a lot of my running on the AT in Tennessee and NC. Lots of vertical, and rocky/rooty trails but we don't have the exposure (above treeline) like the White Mountains. Only a few places here (Roan Mountain, at 6,000+ feet) where there are extended balds to run exposed to the elements.

I'd read about a "short" route (19 miles) and a "long" route (23 miles) of the Presidential Traverse. Looks like its based on which mountains are considered presidential, and which ones are not (Clay, Jackson, etc...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live about 40 mins from there, I have hiked most of it, its rocky and exposed. You just have to use very good judgement on weather. Wait for a nice mid week day in July or August. I have done a few hikes in the smokies and there is no comparison to the terrain. There are lots of rock fields and most of it is above treeline. The Presi traverse adn the Pemi loop are the two classics. You can definately do them in a long day no problem, they are bucket list hikes for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Traverse/White Mountains [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily we will be there mid-week. I've heard the weekends can get quite crazy with the trails being very busy.

These are certainly bucket list hikes/runs.....but only if the weather allows
Quote Reply