Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mid-priced bib recommendation?
Quote | Reply
I am looking to get a new pair of bibs, but don't want to mortgage my house for a good pair. I have a pair of Assos from their outlet site, but they are just okay (maybe too large?) and a pair of Castelli Free Aeros from a few years ago that are my current favorites. I am looking to spend near $100. I got the Free Aeros for half off around Christmas, but now that is 9 months away. The Black Bibs ultimates look promising, but alas, out of stock.

So, what are your recommendations? PI? Voler?
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [JohnnyRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slightly more, but Redwhite are my go to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever since I got a Hincapie kit from one of the Gran Fondos, it is all I want. I have several now, and they are fantastically comfortable. I bought a trainer pair of bib shorts on sale that I just don't care about (preserve the kits for my outdoors days). Hincapie Sportswear frequently has styles on sale for around $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Black Bibs are unbeatable for the price. The regular ones (without the gripper) amazingly don't seem to ride up at all, and at $40 are a great deal. Their up-scale ones are great too, but if you're looking to try them out the regular ones have the same chamois as the ultimates and won't disappoint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Entrada Bibs: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/...rts/p/452000821P-010

I have both the Free Aero Race and the Entradas, the FAR are super-nice, but the Entradas are quite comfortable and the Kiss2 pad works well. It's the same castelli fit, minus the bells and whistles (free floating Progetto X2 pad, textured panels, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [BCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can find any Voler's in your size on their sale page, their bibs are extremely comfortable.
I also recently picked up a few pairs of Primal Wear bibs and they are really nice as well, I have a 20% off code for them if you are interested.
Last edited by: trener1: Mar 29, 21 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Bibs. I have the Bergamo Bibs ($59) as well the one of their Voler models ($80-$100). Both are really good for the price. Their Voler bibs are cheaper than you can get them directly from Voler. They run sales around different holidays and what not which would knock another 20-40% off.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Some follow-ups:

1) Redwhite - these look promising. I see that they recommend 3 hours and less for their entry bibs and 5 hours or more for their other bib, but are these marketing things or at the 4 hour mark using entry bibs will I start to think that I should have gotten "better" ones?

2) The Black Bibs - I have read a LOT of good reviews, but a LOT of bad reviews regarding their standard bib. The Ultimate on the other hand, seems to get near universal praise, bvut maybe that is because they areN'T the $40 ones. But they are still sold out.

3) Voler - is there a line I should look at?

4) Castelli Entrada - I have thought about this one in the past? The only Castelli I have is the FAR and really dig it. Will the "lesser" pad be noticeable? In general, my rides are 3 hours or less, but when doing a group ride or century (or just when my brother-in-law comes), they can get longer, but not usually longer than 4 (except centuries, obviously). Same can be applied to the Redwhite question.

5) My very first pair of cycling shorts was a cheap pair of PIs. I still have them and use them occasionally on the trainer. Makes me think that PIs are good quality (based solely on that) and last a while. Would something like the Attack or Interval be considered? What if I can get a 20% coupon code?

Again, thanks all! I tend to be buy something and then use the crap out of it. I probably should have gotten some new ones a while ago, but I can still use the ones I have, but I a) just want some new ones and b) probably should get some before the others wear out (like shoes - replace before too worn out to prevent injury)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair of pactimo summit bibs and I am completely in love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, the Black Bibs are great for the trainer, but in my case I would never wear them outside as the pad on me provides no modesty protection and I tend to not go outside showing what I've got/don't got. They are comfortable and seem to be holding up well. Legs are shorter than I would like, but for the trainer it doesn't matter.

On Voler, I don't know what specific line, but can say I purchased 4 pair on clearance over 9 years ago and 3 of them are still in service for the trainer. One has a hole on the thigh from a crash 8 years ago and the others are probably a bit transparent at this point on the butt, but the pads are all still alive and well. That's over 9 years of weekly usage and washing - so pretty good investment.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtri wrote:
The Black Bibs are unbeatable for the price. The regular ones (without the gripper) amazingly don't seem to ride up at all, and at $40 are a great deal. Their up-scale ones are great too, but if you're looking to try them out the regular ones have the same chamois as the ultimates and won't disappoint

Another vote for Black Bibs Ultimate for me! But to clarify the above, the regular and the regular plus have the same chamois. The Ultimates have a different one.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [Matt315] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt315 wrote:

I have a pair of Summit Raptor bibs that I've got some 5 and 6 hours rides on. They split time with a pair of LG bids. I've been very happy with them. I had picked them up on Black Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big Voler fan. Take a look at the Jet series. It's a great value. I have several pairs of the Jet Classics, but it looks like they may be out of stock unless you wear a 2XL. The Jet FS looks similar to the Classic, and at $75 costs $4 less.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtri wrote:

AGREED I bought some black bibs and some Catelli Competezone. The Castelli cost $90 retail for about $130 in whatever ugly model Amazon had left over. The Black Bibs cost $40. I actually prefer the black bibs. The bib straps and chamois I actually found superior to the Castelli. I even like the non gripper leg too. It not only doesn't ride up but it never fails to completely compress leaving anything loose or over grip causing restriction. I mean to each their own but this at $40 is a MUST try.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Some follow-ups:

1) Redwhite - these look promising. I see that they recommend 3 hours and less for their entry bibs and 5 hours or more for their other bib, but are these marketing things or at the 4 hour mark using entry bibs will I start to think that I should have gotten "better" ones?
I can't say, haven't tried the Entry bibs, but there's a review and comparison here: https://www.bicycles.net.au/...s-less-just-as-good/
It's probably a bit of marketing, but The Bib is fairly thick and firm hence more suitable for longer rides, maybe not quite as breathable as some others. But I don't do long distance and they're fine for shorter/faster stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt315 wrote:
These are $200+!! He was asking for suggestions around $100 or so. Is there a secret to cheaper Pactimo I don't know about?
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [lightning33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightning33 wrote:
Matt315 wrote:

These are $200+!! He was asking for suggestions around $100 or so. Is there a secret to cheaper Pactimo I don't know about?

Yes, don't ever pay full price for Pactimo. Keep an eye out for their 35% off sales and outlet sales. I was able to purchase a pair of the Summit Raptor bibs on 2/18 for $109.50. I do love my pactimo clothes though, I almost exclusively buy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [lightning33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine were definitely on sale. When I got them they were a bit over $100 maybe $120
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pactimo made team kit for a team I was with a few years back, had an awful experience with them, the quality on my leg warmers was shit (they were scuffed up being removed from the plastic packaging), the sizing on the bibs was wrong, I ordered my size based on their sizing chart (given that I had shorts from them the previous season in that same size that fit perfect) and they were way too small. Pactimo promised to replace the shorts free of charge, but those replacements never showed up... so even if they were 70% off, I still wouldn't give them a dime, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

In general, I would say that when you're looking at bibs in the $100ish range, you're going to get varied comfort levels, but generally when you ride beyond 2hours or so, the comfort level will drop off significantly. If you want bibs that will keep your seat areas comfortable for rides beyond that, you're probably going to want to spend a bit more (I'm not talking the egregiously priced super high-end bibs).
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Pactimo made team kit for a team I was with a few years back, had an awful experience with them, the quality on my leg warmers was shit (they were scuffed up being removed from the plastic packaging), the sizing on the bibs was wrong, I ordered my size based on their sizing chart (given that I had shorts from them the previous season in that same size that fit perfect) and they were way too small. Pactimo promised to replace the shorts free of charge, but those replacements never showed up... so even if they were 70% off, I still wouldn't give them a dime, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

In general, I would say that when you're looking at bibs in the $100ish range, you're going to get varied comfort levels, but generally when you ride beyond 2hours or so, the comfort level will drop off significantly. If you want bibs that will keep your seat areas comfortable for rides beyond that, you're probably going to want to spend a bit more (I'm not talking the egregiously priced super high-end bibs).

Such as? What are your favorites?

I do like the TBB Ultimates (at least, on paper), but sold out for a while now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Kiwami bib shorts, they're my go to for most training. I've had decent success with jakroo bibs as well (forget the specific model), but generally I'm a bad person to ask, since my bib collection is almost entirely comprised of team kits from over the years, which means at times suffering through longer rides in sub-optimal shorts... We have had some duds over the years that were much less enjoyable, and sucked for longer bike races...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt315 wrote:

I'll second Pactimo. I've tried most brands at one time or another. Was a big LG fan for the longest time, Pactimo usually has decent sales. They had one at 40% off I decided to try them. My goto brand now. Love the bibs.....jerseys, tee's
Last edited by: MKirk: Mar 31, 21 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-priced bib recommendation? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While waiting for a Pactimo sale, I was also looking at Giordana outlet (SwissIconic) and they have their Silverline for low-90s and their FR-C bibs for about 130. Any of those worth it or good products?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was another similar thread on cheaper bibs, but I will mention here that NeoPro is a good pick in this category. I just ordered another bib short and a few jerseys. I feel they are superior to the black bibs, and I have both. They do seem to sell out pretty quickly so get on their email list to find out when they get stocked up!

https://neoprocycling.com/
Quote Reply