Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Relation between swimming and space travel
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Ultra distance swimming and extended duration space flights appear to have similar effects on the heart. Despite considerable aerobic exercise, atrophy developed.

https://amp.cnn.com/...tter_impression=true
Quote Reply
Re: Relation between swimming and space travel [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because he wore a wetsuit :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think all they (somewhat clumsily) allude to is that without having to work against gravity, the heart’s load is much reduced and so it reduces in size.

The clumsy part, at least in the reporting , is “why” swimming would be anything like being “weightless,” since we don’t cease to weigh the same just because we’re in water (even in orbit we’re under similar gravitational forces but a spacecraft and everything in it is “falling” at the perfect rate). The answer has nothing to do with buoyancy or swimming per se, but merely that a swimmer is prone, and so the work and pressures required are reduced compared to pumping blood from feet to head while standing.

From this perspective, swimming is no worse than laying in bed, and being active horizontally is better than sleeping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I helped out in a study that substituted space for the subject sitting in a tank of water. I don't remember the results but he was looking for differences in neural drive when not influenced by gravity.
Quote Reply