Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I object to anything that appears to be a non-optional insurance policy.

i think there's another lens through which one could view this. when i began as a manufacturer, we sold a wetsuit. it was my view that a wetsuit ought to last 2 years. that was a reasonable expectation. so, we made that a policy. we gave a 2 year, no-fault warranty. if anything happened to it, regardless of fault, within 2 years of purchase, we would replace it or repair it. in fact, that was the theme of the first ads we ran. from my perspective, it wasn't a gimmick, or a policy we made our users fund, it was that we could do it, because we had our own factory stateside, it didn't cost us that much to make sure you had 2 years worth of wetsuit use, and it gave our customers peace of mind. but what it mostly was, i think, is that i had gotten my own hide chapped because of products that failed, so it was my own sort of back atcha. i got calls from wetsuit manufacturers, not just in triathlon but in surf, mad at me that i was forcing the industry into a policy it could not sustain, but i saw that as a weakness of customer service. if there wasn't a reasonable expectation that your wetsuit would last 2 years, that was an implicit admittance of your product's lack of fitness.

I don't have any issue with warranties, on the contrary. However, a warranty is about the product being fit for purpose and free of defects. It doesn't generally intend to include misuse or accidental damage. i.e. the manufacturer is standing over their product, not the carefulness or competence of users. When the company offers to cover the cost of user errors or misfortunes, outside of their control or direct influence, I think it blurs the line between a warranty and built-in insurance. Again, I do see that when such "insurance" is provided in the form of a free replacement from the manufacturer and the policy is used to drive business and perhaps drive down cost via volume, it is more complex than simply bolting on a more conventional insurance policy you didn't want.

i think you might be overstating how much customer friendly policies cost. if your stuff pretty much never breaks, then it doesn't cost you much to offer a warranty, whether fault or no fault. we offered a 14-day exchange on our wetsuits, no questions asked, and you might think that would be costly, but we got maybe 5 wetsuits back a year on that policy, out of the 14,000 we made per year.

i can't speak for enve. in our case, we had an advantage. almost no one else made their own wetsuits. in most cases, a suit that got returned to the company got trashed. we rarely had to trash anything. that no-fault warranty didn't cost us nearly as much to perform as it would another wetsuit maker, so, you really weren't hostage to a charge - in the purchase price of a wetsuit - that you didn't elect.

secondly, it worked. this was a brand new category. most triathletes had never had a wetsuit. didn't know what to expect out of this product. but again, in enve's case, i can't speak to their motivations. i would only note that, like us, they have a stateside factory, and that may effect the calculus. it's hard to know how to gauge warranties when you don't make your own stuff, and you have a huge wait time for new product, and you don't know how much to hold back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think that Enve gear is not the top of line when it comes to expensive.

If you research this forum look for Lightweight wheels and Lew Composites.

I remember some of those wheels sets costing over $10,000.00.

In one thread Paulo Sousa commented to someone that their box shaped wheels were more aero than their Lightweight brand wheels.

Also, they were far from being very aero.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
When the company offers to cover the cost of user errors or misfortunes, outside of their control or direct influence, I think it blurs the line between a warranty and built-in insurance.

I think part of the issues is that wheels are on the front lines of battle. Particularly in this age of mixed-terrain with rocks, etc.

And it's probably a nightmare for wheel companies to try to sort out legitimate manufacturing defects when like 90% of riders claim they were (as the joke goes) "just riding along" when the wheel detonated. And whenever they call the pitch wrong, the customer goes on Facebook and Slowtwitch and starts a thread about how their wheel just failed for no reason, and the company is fighting them tooth and nail on the warranty claim.

If I were a wheel company CEO, I could see myself making the decision, "You know what, we're not going to play this game anymore. Customer pays shipping, labor, and extraneous parts, we'll just replace every damn broken wheel for original owners."
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest you check at R2 bikes which lists the weight of all the components they sell.
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
For post sale value perhaps. Then the one piece bar looks cleaner but is heavier, not lighter. It's all about the looks, not the performance. Again, it's about fashion business not sports performance business.

I can't find a weight for the ENVE integrated bar, so I looked at Trek, since they produce top-spec integrated and non-integrated drop bar setups.

The Bontrager XXX integrated bar/stem is between 218 and 234 grams, depending on stem length/bar width (listed)
https://www.trekbikes.com/...193/?colorCode=black

The Aeolus aero integrated bar/stem is slightly heavier at 280ish grams

in comparison, the XXX aero drop bar is 227 to 247g, the XXX round drop is 171 to 179, and the XXX stem is 110 to 130g.

The Bontrager integrated setup is going to be about 50-70 grams lighter than the non integrated setup. MSRP isn't that much more either ($599-$699 for the one piece vs $359+ $275 for the separates).

That doesn't mean the integrated setup is "better", you lose some adjustability. but it's not just about looks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I suggest you check at R2 bikes which lists the weight of all the components they sell.

In addition to Jason, I checked Ritchey. Their Superstreem integrated bar is 350g (42cm wide, 100mm stem). The Superstreem non-integrated bar with the lightest 100m stem Ritchey has is 363g.

Barely a difference, but the integrated one is lighter. I, personally, have avoided integrated stuff, as I like to play with fit. But it's not hard to see how and why integrated could inherently have some weight savings. Less hardware.

I think some pro-grade integrated bars have been pretty heavy because pros generally don't use the lightest stem and bars - like the Shimano PRO integrated bars are pretty beefy, I think. (not that only pros use PRO, but I think Shimano tends to design their high-end stuff around pro-like use).
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great example that Bontrager. A 600 dollar non aero integrated bar at between 218 and 234 grams. For that price you can buy a 126 gram round bar at 400 euro https://r2-bike.com/...18-mm-3k-matte-black and an extralite 56 gram stem for 200 euros https://r2-bike.com/...k-MTB-Road-318-mm-18 same price, and more or less 50 grams less.

Or you can buy a PRO aero roadbar at 177 euro and 195 grams and that same extralite stem ending with slightly more weight in the bars for a better bar and your wallet weighing 200 euros more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Great example that Bontrager. A 600 dollar non aero integrated bar at between 218 and 234 grams. For that price you can buy a 126 gram round bar at 400 euro https://r2-bike.com/...18-mm-3k-matte-black and an extralite 56 gram stem for 200 euros https://r2-bike.com/...k-MTB-Road-318-mm-18 same price, and more or less 50 grams less.

Or you can buy a PRO aero roadbar at 177 euro and 195 grams and that same extralite stem ending with slightly more weight in the bars for a better bar and your wallet weighing 200 euros more.

You realize that I used those in order to compare equivalent products from the same manufacturer, right?

I’d trust the bontrager xxx gear a lot more than boutique weight weenie stuff.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of interesting comments on the thread. I am personally excited to see an established US company with plans to manufacture a new bike in their facilities.

"Bring jobs back to America" was a hotly debated topic during the recent election.

My comments to friends at the time was, "that's great but be prepared for Dollar Tree to become the Five Dollar Tree".

The customer that spends $10K + for a bike now has another option and as a byproduct is supporting a US-based company (for us Slowtwitchers residing in the US).
Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And more than PRO from Shimano at half the price? I just used the weight weenie stuff to show you how ridiculous the bontrager price is from a pure price performance perspective. If you want to factor in coolness or made in the USA as many in this thread (I am Spanish and don't care about the last one) fine, but that is a different debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But then your getting into whether Bontrager, as a brand, has a good value proposition for their top end gear. I wasn’t making that argument, i doubt that I would actually buy Bontrager XXX components., they’re quite pricey, I agree.

The discussion was about whether integrated combos are purely about style, or whether there is a performance benefit that can come with them. So to do that, you have to look at a manufacturer who produces both, to reduce the number of variables.

So no, integrated setups are not purely about style. Whether Bontrager XXX is purely about style is a different discussion. And even then, you have to put it in context of “relative to what”. As a stand-alone products, they’re very good. Maybe others are better, for the price, or maybe not, but that still doesn’t mean that Bontrager isn’t about performance.

In the car analogy, if you think Audi is the best performance per dollar, that doesn’t mean that BMW or Mercedes are not good performing vehicles.

A final thought, it’s a mistake to judge performance purely on weight, or aerodynamics. There are a ton of factors, not all of which show up in the spec sheet.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: hey look, another bike we cant buy. thanks enve. [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
https://www.enve.com/introducing-the-enve-custom-road-bike/

But the good news is, when you finally save up your pennies, you can get it in green.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with much of what you said, only disagree on the Bontrager example as it is not representative of the industry. In most brands the integrated bar-stem combo is heavier more expensive and has less configuration options.

Regarding your last comment, I can't agree more. But from a risk reward perspective, where would you put your money to have more of those tons of factors outside of the spec sheet? On a race proven Scott Foil (my example, but you could choose any similar bike) or pay double for a first attempt to build a frame from another manufacturer? Unless of course you know for sure that due to an an extremely unusual build you won't fit on a correctly configured standard frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone interested, this podcast is a good overview of what ENVE designed the bike for, what they feel they can do differently than others, some of the DNA of the ENVE team, global bike supply chain issues and some general background on all road & gravel: https://www.cycology.fm/...ve-marketing-manager
Quote Reply

Prev Next