Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Helmet Options; Update- Met Codatronca FTW
Quote | Reply
Hey all, I'm searching for the right lid for my position and initially tried the POC Cerebrel; as you can see it's far from optimal and being returned. That out of the way, I'm trying to work out what helmet to go for. I'm thinking that a Met Drone looks like it could fit my position well, but am by no means certain. I will be getting every helmet with an option to return BUT want to try to streamline the process by getting ones that seem like they may work.
I will add that I do not intend to change my position meaningfully except potentially going a small amount lower at the front in a few months (per conversation with fitter) after getting used to the current position.
Any Recommendations based on my position? pic in post is with my road helmet and linked video is to my short trial run with the POC.
https://www.dropbox.com/...3%2006%20pm.mov?dl=0

Thanks in advance : )
Last edited by: TommyBTri: Apr 7, 21 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet Options [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fun of helmet picking! I am failing to see, in your words, the POC being "far from optimal". Care to elaborate why you think that?

You weren't able to keep your head stable for a 24 second clip, so I would say the POC tempor should be out of the equation. I had the giro aerohead and I like it lot. A recent thread on this forum said the Rudy Project seems to test quite fast as well. You mention the met drone, which is a pretty wide helmet, but given how big that POC looks on you, I don't know if the met is the right call either...
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet Options [rowleycd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reason for saying it’s sub optimal is the gap between helmet and back and the fact that it’s elevated above my back a bit. In terms of head position I can hold it stable but was trying to see how it would interact holding my head in a variety of positions, apologies I didn’t get a clearer video in this regard. That said, I’m pretty sure the tempor would be a gamble if it either worked amazingly or was completely terrible. Rudy Project is kinda a bit above what I’m looking to pay (seems properly expensive here in the UK). The aerohead I have considered but am worried about how well it’ll interact with my position based on what it looks like it sits on other people. All that said, I’m open to considering all options and will see what the overall consensus here is (appreciating I should go to aero testing to find out for real but that’s not really an option)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
Reason for saying it’s sub optimal is the gap between helmet and back and the fact that it’s elevated above my back a bit. In terms of head position I can hold it stable but was trying to see how it would interact holding my head in a variety of positions, apologies I didn’t get a clearer video in this regard. That said, I’m pretty sure the tempor would be a gamble if it either worked amazingly or was completely terrible. Rudy Project is kinda a bit above what I’m looking to pay (seems properly expensive here in the UK). The aerohead I have considered but am worried about how well it’ll interact with my position based on what it looks like it sits on other people. All that said, I’m open to considering all options and will see what the overall consensus here is (appreciating I should go to aero testing to find out for real but that’s not really an option)

I own a Tempor. That won’t work for what I see there just noticing your nose/face angle relative to your back. It is a very specific posture it works with.

Helmets should always be field tested, not just a video clip either way.

I arrived at my decisions based on field testing. Buy, test against what you have, repeat ad nauseum.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet Options [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t return a field tested helmet, and not sure I’d particularly be able to go out and test with fitting it in with the schedule. I appreciate the eyeball windtunnel is far from a reliable method but it’s better than nothing? Thanks for letting me know about the Tempor, removed the temptation to try it👍
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
Can’t return a field tested helmet, and not sure I’d particularly be able to go out and test with fitting it in with the schedule. I appreciate the eyeball windtunnel is far from a reliable method but it’s better than nothing? Thanks for letting me know about the Tempor, removed the temptation to try it👍

Food for thought: a 40% loss on reselling a used once $250 helmet is $100. People spend thousands on wheels when wheels make less wattage impact.

So, you might blow $300 testing helmets. So $550 all in. If that $550 gets you 10w even between slowest and fastest that’s still a lot cheaper than wheels per watt.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update, I've tried the Met Codatronca and am sold on it. Not sure if it's perfect (and am not going to be without being able to do extensive aero testing) but am very happy with it in terms of fit, comfort, lightweight and seems to be more aero than the evade. Position is changing as I work on shoulder flexibility to get more aero, but think it seems good. Video of it here; https://www.dropbox.com/...3%2055%20pm.mov?dl=0
any feedback/questions welcome : )
Quote Reply