Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals
Quote | Reply
Getting my yearly tune up for the TT bike this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like my left Ultegra pedal has just had it after what has to be something like 13 years. Now I have just the spd-sl pedals on my road bike and honestly don't see a damn thing wrong with them. Can someone give me a legit reason I should spend $160 on a pair of Ultegra when I can just buy another of those spd-sl pedals for $60 on Amazon?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went from SPD-SL to the latest Dura-Ace. No difference at all. Hope this helps. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Went from SPD-SL to the latest Dura-Ace. No difference at all. Hope this helps. :-)

Kinda. That's what I figured. Most likely saving myself quite a bit of coin and not buying high end pedals. I mean don't they all do pretty much the same thing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want an aerodynamic or lower stack height benefit will need to go to speedplay. Come on over, the water’s warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
If you want an aerodynamic or lower stack height benefit will need to go to speedplay. Come on over, the water’s warm.

Lol I'd like to but I JUST bought a new set of pedals for a new road bike. Unless speedplay's come free I'm not dropping money for 2 sets.

Valid though I have considered changing in the past.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Getting my yearly tune up for the TT bike this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like my left Ultegra pedal has just had it after what has to be something like 13 years. Now I have just the spd-sl pedals on my road bike and honestly don't see a damn thing wrong with them. Can someone give me a legit reason I should spend $160 on a pair of Ultegra when I can just buy another of those spd-sl pedals for $60 on Amazon?

there are some features to the higher end pedals that may or may not be relevant to you.

Cornering clearance is greatest for Dura Ace, slightly less for ultegra, slightly less again for 105 and the base models.
longer spindles available for DA and Ultegra
slightly higher spring tension (unless that's been changed since the last time I looked)
better bearings. (does Dura Ace still use needle bearings in the pedal?). I think that definitely helps the longevity, my original DA pedals still work fine, although I do mostly use my later model Ultegras since they have the wider metal platform instead of the original plastic one.

edit: you probably won't feel any difference between them, as they're still the same basic pedal and even the base models are really good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 25, 21 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

SPD-SL is the name of the design of Shimano's road pedals. DA pedals are SPD-SL, as are all the others in the road line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally like the Shimano pedals with the smooth, round spindles (no 15mm pedal wrench interface), and the 8mm wrench on the back (as opposed to the 6mm). They are usually silver, though I have a pair of 105 pedals with black spindles like this, so for road it seems to be 105 and up, MTB XT and up, and I also have it on what I think are the best gravel/all-road pedal, the A600. For road this also gets you the full metal cover on the cleat interface.

Now if you prefer a 15mm pedal wrench, you will need to avoid these.
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
I personally like the Shimano pedals with the smooth, round spindles (no 15mm pedal wrench interface), and the 8mm wrench on the back (as opposed to the 6mm). They are usually silver, though I have a pair of 105 pedals with black spindles like this, so for road it seems to be 105 and up, MTB XT and up, and I also have it on what I think are the best gravel/all-road pedal, the A600. For road this also gets you the full metal cover on the cleat interface.

Now if you prefer a 15mm pedal wrench, you will need to avoid these.

what heathen prefers a 15mm pedal wrench?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should move to Speedplays. Worth every dollar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve ridden them all. Including I spent almost 14 years on Speedplay. Went to M2 Racer because I’m a weigh weenie, then went to Time Xpresso’s. Weight again but my Xpresso 12’s did last me over 5 years with a single bearing change, did go thru cleats. Tried Look even though I was on them years ago and everything about them was not agreeing with me. Went to Shimano Dura Ace 9100 and yes they weigh a little more. They are always in a position where I enter the pedal. Other that the float that is supposed to be there they hold my foot very well until I want to get out of the pedal. I. Don’t think I’ve ridden a smoother bearing pedal. I by no means am a qualified authority on pedals but have spent over almost 50 years of my life running and cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Sell me on higher end Shimano pedals [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still use M2Racer pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had many Dura ace pedals that lasted me less than a year. I switched to speedplay.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience Shimano pedals hold up to abuse and I am not surprised you got 10+ years out the previous pair. The more expensive pedals are lighter and marginally more streamlined for increased clearance and so I guess the question is are these thing worth $100 over 10 years of use. I can definitely see use case where they are.

Personally I don't use DA pedals nor have I used the latest generation of 105 pedals but previously I did buy Ultegra pedals over the cheaper option because I felt the price was worth it over the service history. My recent experience with 105 level parts is that they are better than anything I need so I have found myself moving down the levels and I suspect this is true with pedals. I personally wouldn't buy the absolute cheapest pedals Shimano sells but I don't think you need to go up the chain very far to get really solid equipment.
Quote Reply