Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ToUtah canceled
Quote | Reply
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...m-2021-uci-calendar/

was really looking forward to it this year - actually had hoped it might move to dates ToC had been
the number of young riders who have made the big stage is impressive; Axel Merckx has really done a great job with Hagens Berman Axeon in developing talent and ToU was so important for them
Quote Reply
Re: ToUtah canceled [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really disappointed to see this. I always loved watching the race. Was nice to have a well covered race with great streaming online.
Quote Reply
Re: ToUtah canceled [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain why it is safe for Ironman to have a race for thousands of unvaccinated people and their families on May 1st, but unsafe for Tour of Utah and UCI to have race for several hundred vaccinated racers in August? Ironman/Private Equity clearly care more about $$$ than the health of their customers. Let’s resume racing in the fall when we are all vaccinated and we aren’t putting the health of our fellow racers and hosts at risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Redlands Classic also posted today that they are cancelling the 2021 race instead of trying for a fall date.
Quote Reply
Re: ToUtah canceled [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t believe cancellation has anything to do with COVID
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
Don’t believe cancellation has anything to do with COVID

FYI, per the article:

“Due to the challenges from the Covid-19 pandemic, the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah and the Tour of Utah Ultimate Challenge are postponed in 2021. We continue to plan for resuming these events in 2022,” Steve Miller, chair, Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, told Cyclingnews.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: ToUtah canceled [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i read it but not buying that line - state goes mask free 4/10/2021 and vaccines open to anyone 16 and older now with open availability
late July date for stage race seems very doable

i will continue to wear my mask for foreseeable future
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be that some of the sponsors of the event have been hit hard by COVID and cut back their contributions. So even if the they don't there's much actual risk from COVID, it could still explain why they are mentioning COVID as the reason for the cancellation. I'm just speculating so that could be way off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
i read it but not buying that line - state goes mask free 4/10/2021 and vaccines open to anyone 16 and older now with open availability

I don’t know anything about ToUtah specifically but I do think I am seeing companies kind of blame changes/shifts/whatever on Covid when I suspect the reasons are really more likely $$. It doesn’t much matter but that’s my sense of it.
Quote Reply
Re: ToUtah canceled [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree
it seems that there would be appetite for a return to stage race here in US, especially with ToC gone
as I said i was kinda hoping that Utah would get to fill May time frame - how gorgeous would that be here !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:

Brasil is mask free and never in lockdown so far. that doesnt mean they are in good shape
Quote Reply