Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Registering for IM now - an exception to the outrage?
Quote | Reply
I'm only recently returning to paying attention to the status of racing in general and IM in particular. I have seen the now-hated video from CEO Andrew Messick as well as the blowback from triathlon community and even MSN. It's going to be a rough ride for North American racers for 2021 too, obviously.

But I was looking down the line and my family would like to re-visit Cozumel, so I looked into that. 2021 registration is open. 2020 actually happened! (Seriously, this is brand new news to me having not paid attention since well, you know, this whole global pandemic thing.....)

I am not going to be ready for a full IM this November, and there is a potential family thing anyway this November, so I am looking at 2022.

As opposed to the numerous races whose fate is up in the air, and where refunds are not happening, and it's just a goat rodeo, IM Cozumel seems like a stable spot in the system. If they ran 2020, the likelihood of canceling 2021 seems extremely low, and 2022 seems as solid as anything could be. My impression is this is a long standing event that is in little danger of disappearing.

2021 is still open for registration, it is not sold out. Maybe it historically does not sell out. But I have a strong belief that 2022 is going to see record crowds at concerts, sporting events, and participatory endurance events. Every marathon is going to sell out. We'll start to see some of it in late 2021 but 2022 is going to be a rager, socially speaking.

With that in mind, I saw that the Cozumel race for 2021 allows FREE deferrals to 2022. From the site: "Athletes who register on or before May 24, 2021, are eligible to defer their entry into the 2022 IRONMAN Cozumel free of charge. All deferral requests will be honored until October 22, 2021 regardless of the reason for deferral. The deferral may only be used once. Athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any partial refund, ability to transfer."

So as I read that, it's about as good as it gets for an IM deferral. I assume this is a recent thing, COVID influenced, that is the flip side of the canceled races with no refunds.

Am I nuts to think that if I want to plan for Cozumel 2022, I may as well sign up for this year, then defer? Lock in a spot now before the trends start to bear out and all 2022 stuff fills up? Obviously the usual caveats apply when making plans that far out, but on its own does this make sense as a strategic plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for IM now - an exception to the outrage? [AirWeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not sold out now, I don't think you need to worry about it selling out for 2022. A lot can change in the 6 months before the race. Not just covid wise. Injuries, job changes, lack of interest. I'd just set a calendar reminder for the day after the race to start looking for registration opening and do it then. The one deferral thing, while they haven't been strict on that this year, could come back to bite you with your plan.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for IM now - an exception to the outrage? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
The one deferral thing, while they haven't been strict on that this year, could come back to bite you with your plan.

Just to clarify, I want to make sure I understand "one deferral." I read it as for this race. Is it with Ironman brand as a whole? As in, let's say I execute this plan, then in a year I sign up for IMLP with a plan to do it, something goes awry with that plan and I want to defer it. I have now lost my deferral rights with IM since I used my one deferral. Is that closer to how it works?
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for IM now - an exception to the outrage? [AirWeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirWeaver wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
The one deferral thing, while they haven't been strict on that this year, could come back to bite you with your plan.

Just to clarify, I want to make sure I understand "one deferral." I read it as for this race. Is it with Ironman brand as a whole? As in, let's say I execute this plan, then in a year I sign up for IMLP with a plan to do it, something goes awry with that plan and I want to defer it. I have now lost my deferral rights with IM since I used my one deferral. Is that closer to how it works?
Technically, yes it's for all of Ironman races. After one deferral they could refuse any more deferral requests, regardless of if it would 'normally' be a legitimate request. This pretty much hasn't been enforced though, as people have been bumped 3-4 times from race to race in 2020. But according to their own rules, Ironman didn't have to do that. Obviously it's a good thing they did or the outrage would have been exponentially more. But as things get closer to normal, they have less reason to be flexible on the deferral situation. Just something to keep in miind.

Quote Reply
Re: Registering for IM now - an exception to the outrage? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hang on - I never read that you only get one deferral ever from Ironman. I always assumed that it's on a per-race basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you make a good point - and really, the likelihood of it selling out the minute it opens for 2022 is probably quite low. I know IM numbers dipped the last few years pre-pandemic, but I think some of the US races like FL, AZ, MD will fill fast for 2022. Cozumel is still a destination race for most people, a little less spontaneous registrations probably.

My wife and I went there to do the all-inclusive resort thing November 2019 and happened to be there the day of the Gran Fondo. I think IM was the next weekend. I thought then that this would be the place I do my first full. Even though it would be far cheaper for me to do IMMD, I even have a place to stay locally, I don't know that I want to do a September race in a shallow bay in a wetsuit (I did Eagleman a couple times) when I can go to a paradise and swim over a reef and get as close to the feel of Kona as would ever be possible for me. Cozumel is calling me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually did Cozumel 70.3 this past year. Last minute trip when it was clear the race was actually going to happen with a pro field. Aside from the heat, was a very cool place for a race. We got an airbnb on the very north edge of the island that was cheap but fairly private, quiet, and quite nice. I've never been snorkeling so that was a lot of fun in the week we stayed after the race. Biggest complaint about the race was probably just the water temp. Crazy warm. But overall a good race experience (aside from my actual race performance on the day). I'd imagine the full is similar!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I actually did Cozumel 70.3 this past year. Last minute trip when it was clear the race was actually going to happen with a pro field. Aside from the heat, was a very cool place for a race. We got an airbnb on the very north edge of the island that was cheap but fairly private, quiet, and quite nice. I've never been snorkeling so that was a lot of fun in the week we stayed after the race. Biggest complaint about the race was probably just the water temp. Crazy warm. But overall a good race experience (aside from my actual race performance on the day). I'd imagine the full is similar!

Glad to hear (except your self-stated race performance - but it is the kind of place where even a bad day is still in an island paradise, so that mitigates it a bit I am sure) - we stayed toward the south end at a resort, may return to that so the kids can enjoy that kind of thing once. I went out on the road to watch the Fondo riders go by a couple times. Just seems like an ideal setting for a Tri. And yeah that water is something else. I did some snorkeling, and it was cool to look down and see the scuba divers even deeper, but still get to see so many reef fish.
Quote Reply