Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
MSABC has a relationship with Swim BC & Swim Canada. I would consider them infinitely more legitimate.

Ya, totally agree and MSABC (Masters Swimming Association of British Columbia) is indeed the org that did certify Susan Simmons's swim.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
And an update: when I wrote that she was a good swimmer back in the day on that original thread it was because I had heard she had swam at Trials. I am kind of pissed to find out that also was a lie.

I maintain she had an “assisted” 7 hour break. She got in a raft, took a nap and floated with the current. I still chuckle at the idea that 40 hours into an event you are going to go 7.5 hours without eating to stay warm. Like when a person who cheats their way to a 3:15 marathon by running a 34 minutes closing 10 k says they found their 2nd wind. Completely believable to anyone who hasn’t actually done a 3:15 marathon, completely ridiculous to anyone who has. Well unless you are wearing vaporflys, of course : )

Apparently, Steve Munatones has been one of her biggest enablers, which is a very sad commentary on the state of open water swimming since he is the keeper of Openwaterpedia. Hard to believe this guy could be so unethical.

Once they slide/get talked into something that ‘Big’, they think they just have too much to lose. Not uncommon.

And who cares. She was/is just doing her own thing, not clubbing seal babies or killing someone....right?

People who are truly invested in the sport of OWS care. Almost universally. Which doesn’t nullify your point. I think those who care operate in the principal of scarcity. Someone getting unjust spoils limits the ability of those who play by the rules to get their share. Is that actually true? Maybe not. In fact I think it might be true that these people provide MORE opportunity by exposing the sport to a wider Audience.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
windschatten wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
And an update: when I wrote that she was a good swimmer back in the day on that original thread it was because I had heard she had swam at Trials. I am kind of pissed to find out that also was a lie.

I maintain she had an “assisted” 7 hour break. She got in a raft, took a nap and floated with the current. I still chuckle at the idea that 40 hours into an event you are going to go 7.5 hours without eating to stay warm. Like when a person who cheats their way to a 3:15 marathon by running a 34 minutes closing 10 k says they found their 2nd wind. Completely believable to anyone who hasn’t actually done a 3:15 marathon, completely ridiculous to anyone who has. Well unless you are wearing vaporflys, of course : )

Apparently, Steve Munatones has been one of her biggest enablers, which is a very sad commentary on the state of open water swimming since he is the keeper of Openwaterpedia. Hard to believe this guy could be so unethical.

Once they slide/get talked into something that ‘Big’, they think they just have too much to lose. Not uncommon.

And who cares. She was/is just doing her own thing, not clubbing seal babies or killing someone....right?

People who are truly invested in the sport of OWS care. Almost universally. Which doesn’t nullify your point. I think those who care operate in the principal of scarcity. Someone getting unjust spoils limits the ability of those who play by the rules to get their share. Is that actually true? Maybe not. In fact I think it might be true that these people provide MORE opportunity by exposing the sport to a wider Audience.

Jesse - I don't think it is the "principle of scarcity" per se that causes other OW swimmers to care but rather they care simply on what I would call "general principle" (GP), i.e., you shouldn't lie or cheat b/c it is grossly unfair to honest people. You could also invoke the "golden rule", i.e., treat others as you would want to be treated.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next