Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit
Quote | Reply
I’ll find out more tomorrow but a great race Saturday with my son and son-in-law ended abruptly ended when a wind gust slowed my SIL quickly and I was too close and rubbed his rear wheel. He stayed upright, I and my son (riding behind me) did not.

I won’t know all the damage until tomorrow but I’ll need surgery on my right clavicle. I may have cracked a couple of ribs and my hip, but yesterday I was just focused on getting shoulder looked at and stabilized as well as possible.

My son is okay. My son went off in the grass so he’s okay.

Bikes seem to be okay, but we’ll take them to our LBS. I will be ordering anew helmet, as mine was damaged.

At 60yos it might take a day or two before I can start training again. :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds brutal, hope you heal quickly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap!!! hate to hear this... hurry up and heal up fast!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here’s the X-ray.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no doctor but that seems busted pretty thoroughly
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s definitely not just cracked :)

I had no question afterwards, before going to the ER that it was broken. I just didn’t know it was that bad. When the ER doc comes in and says, “it’s worse than I thought it would be.”, it’s not going to be a good day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wowsers.
I'm not a medical doctor.
But I can still tell that that is fooked.

Hope you're on the road to a full recovery quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that you went to the doctor. In the future, just rub some dirt on it and resume normal training.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The problem is that you went to the doctor. In the future, just rub some dirt on it and resume normal training.
You know how when something like this happens and you’re a bit out of it for a while? We had about 8.5 miles left in our 35 mile race and we’re going great. So, being out of it, I asked my son and SIL to find something to splint it. Bahahaha! I wasn’t going anywhere on a bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... any coaches want to help me come back from this? You get, hopefully a good story and I get professional help (gratis) to recover and build properly. I am motivated and have a competitive spirit. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but this post really reminds be of the subreddit r/ChoosingBeggars where people ask for free stuff that is worth orders of magnitude more than what is offered in return. This'll be a tough sell
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Sorry but this post really reminds be of the subreddit r/ChoosingBeggars where people ask for free stuff that is worth orders of magnitude more than what is offered in return. This'll be a tough sell

Yes, of course. 😂 It was supposed to be read tongue-in-cheek. I wasn’t expected anyone to take it seriously. As often is the case, humor in writing doesn’t typically go well for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guess you wont be racing galveston this year! :(

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
guess you wont be racing galveston this year! :(

That’s for sure! I’m hopeful that recovery will still allow me to compete at Augusta in sept.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke and displaced three ribs falling off our retaining wall a few years ago. Definitely not the most painful thing I’ve had but it was up there. Then I got the wonderful CT a with contrast that makes you feel like you’re pissing yourself great times.

That was a rough month and there is jackshit they can do. Heal up soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU buttercup. It's triathlon not a fricking knitting club.

Monty Python - The Black Knight - Tis But A Scratch - YouTube

P.S. for the sake of those based in the US, the above is known as humour. It is not meant to be taken literally

P.P.S. Yes, I know you spell it humor, which to be fair is even more mystifying as I can't see why you would take a word, change the spelling and then spend 200 years proving you didn't have any use for that word in any case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, I had surgery last year on my shoulder after a wreck at Nationals. It's a long road to recovery for sure and it's been a daily battle, but it could have been worse for either of us. Do what you can daily and keep the hope. Keep fighting and don't give up. If anything, set your goals higher and use that to get back every day...one step at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

P.S. for the sake of those based in the US, the above is known as humour. It is not meant to be taken literally

P.P.S. Yes, I know you spell it humor, which to be fair is even more mystifying as I can't see why you would take a word, change the spelling and then spend 200 years proving you didn't have any use for that word in any case.

Don’t do this!! It hurts way too much to laugh!

Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

I bust out the “You make me sad line” a lot from this movie. Most folks don’t get it.

OP: sorry to hear about your wreck. Gnarly looking X-ray. Biggest advice I have in the IPOS (Injured Piece of Sh!t) category is to focus on what you can do and get best you can at that. Hope you heal up well and surgery is successful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wearing seat belts for the first couple of months is gonna suck. But other than the seat belt thing no issues almost three years in.

About 25% of people have the hardware taken out, but I think that's kinda cosmetic as there's almost no reason to remove it.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

I bust out the “You make me sad line” a lot from this movie. Most folks don’t get it.

Funny, that movie came up on this morning's ride. We saw someone alongside the road holding something, pointing it up towards the trees and power lines. Someone said they thought it was radar gun, but why would he be pointing it up? My immediate response was "what Is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" Nobody got it... :(

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
You know how when something like this happens and you’re a bit out of it for a while? We had about 8.5 miles left in our 35 mile race and we’re going great. So, being out of it, I asked my son and SIL to find something to splint it. Bahahaha! I wasn’t going anywhere on a bike!

One of my buddies broke himself like that a few years ago, when we were out mountain biking. January. Mid week. Furthest point from the car. Miles from anywhere. Just the 2 of us.
I put his arm in a sling, put his saddle down lower, and made him ride out.
There was no way either of us was going to call the local Mountain Rescue guys out just for a broken shoulder. 💪
I did drive his car tho to take him to hospital once we got back tonthe start point.
Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
[One of my buddies broke himself like that a few years ago, when we were out mountain biking. January. Mid week. Furthest point from the car. Miles from anywhere. Just the 2 of us.
I put his arm in a sling, put his saddle down lower, and made him ride out.
There was no way either of us was going to call the local Mountain Rescue guys out just for a broken shoulder. 💪
I did drive his car tho to take him to hospital once we got back tonthe start point.

Yes, I was definitely tougher 30 - 40 years ago when I was in my 20s/30s. Now I’ll just wait for the car😁.

Quote Reply
Re: I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a bit [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Parkland wrote:

Funny, that movie came up on this morning's ride. We saw someone alongside the road holding something, pointing it up towards the trees and power lines. Someone said they thought it was radar gun, but why would he be pointing it up? My immediate response was "what Is the airspeed velocity* of an unladen swallow?" Nobody got it... :(
European or African?

*it upsets me that the line is "...average airspeed velocity...." and not "average airspeed", "average velocity" , or the like....ruins it just the teeniest bit....
Quote Reply