Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any ideas for "T1"
Quote | Reply
I have begun OW swimming two weeks ago. Today 1250 m was possible, before I could feel the cold in a negative way. Weather data: air temp, 0 degrees C, water 2 degrees C, 8 m/s and it was snowing when i got out of water.

Changing from wet suit to normal clothes was a bit cold (I was freezing my ass of), and cold/numb fingers made it really difficult to take of the wetsuit off - thus I was almost naked for 5-10 minutes.

Of course it doesn't kill me, but it was kind of unpleasant.

Anybody having advice for gear that can help. It is not a possibility to change indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ideas for "T1" [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that a swimming parka would be the solution. You could role down the upper part of the wetsuit, put the parka on, and finish taking off the wetsuit. They are basically mobile changing tents. It was so useful for high school swimming that I recently bought another one!
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Any ideas for "T1" [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly this. The lake I go to has year round swimmers and they pretty much all have a Dryrobe. If you leave the bottom part zipped up then you get your arms out of the wetsuit, Step into the Dryrobe, arms in that and zip up without having to get the zip engaged. The quicker you get the changing robe on the better.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ideas for "T1" [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just a guess. Put on a wool hat and socks ASAP.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ideas for "T1" [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why havent I heard about these before. Found one in stock at a local shop, will go get it tomorrow. Thx a lot 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Any ideas for "T1" [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Leave swim cap on (even better if neoprene cap)
2) Arms out and merino tee shirt on.
3) Tri-club hoodie or merino long sleeved hoodie on
4) Beanie on
5) bottom off and thick socks on.
6) cup of tea from nearest cafe / thermos cup.

Really, the big thing is if you can prevent the wind chill - if it's blowing then you're going to suffer unless you can find a way to shelter.
Quote Reply