Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

I went to the 100th anniversary Shimano website and I do not see any announcements about a 12-speed, power meter groupos.

DOES ANYONE SEE ANYTHING??

Thank you,

GG

Nothing has been announced, all of this is rumors and can't be confirmed. If the rumors are true, an announcement will be coming in June.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

I went to the 100th anniversary Shimano website and I do not see any announcements about a 12-speed, power meter groupos.

DOES ANYONE SEE ANYTHING??

Thank you,

GG

Nothing has been announced, all of this is rumors and can't be confirmed. If the rumors are true, an announcement will be coming in June.

Why do you think it will be in June 2021?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Introduction just before or at TdF......

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently the 100 anniversary release is a coffee table book . Go figure
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the Olympics being in Tokyo in July I am not sure if Shimano does use the Tour as a launch point. Maybe it will show up in an early sneak peak/teaser fashion but my money would be on a release on Japanese soil.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, for cycling the Olympics aren't even close to the exposure as the Tour ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I'm curious, are you riding any proper mountains or sprints? That said, I agree all this does is change the rest of the system. There is nothing to see here with the lack of 10t. Plenty of fine options for all scenarios.

"Proper" is rather subjective depending on where you live. Compared to Florida or Alpe D'Huez? I'm in Korea which is mountainous pretty much everywhere. Unless I ride along rivers there's at least a serious climb or two. Cruising speed in the flats on a typical 100km sunday ride is usually around 35kph, preferred cadence around 85-90. Even with a compact front, the 11t rear gets you to 60+kph before 110rpm. Are you sprinting at that speed? I'm certainly not capable of that. Nor do I feel like putting power down at that speed when I'm going downhill because I'm preoccupied with making sure I make it home in one piece.

Props if you're cruising along at 60kph on your Sunday rides. I can't do that even if I am above average in ability. When I think about the fact that stock bikes come with 11t and a 52t front, I can't reconcile that with the level of the average cyclist +/- 2sigma.

A tool for every job and everybody do their thing.

60kph is 37mph. We've a lot of little junk 6% hills in town here where I use my 56/42 combo. So yeah, downhill I'll do 40mph or so at a nice comfy cadence while making a hair of power.

It also isn't just about "max speed" capability. It's the fact that there's tangible watts lost in those smaller cogs. If you can make the smallest (fastest) cogs a big bigger, you gain efficiency. So usually if I'm racing I won't have an 11t cog on the bike.

There's some pretty "average" British time trial folks who run 56, 58t rings. But they sit with a nice straight chain line in a nice sized rear cog at a comfy cadence.

Higher cadence at higher speed can also feel a bit hairy. I'd rather go downwind or downhill at 90rpm give or take than 110rpm.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When nationalism comes into play I don’t always bet on logical marketing decisions. Shimano has a very proud history in Japan and there are only so many opportunities to launch a benchmark product on home soil on your 100th anniversary at the Olympics. Plus lord knows who will actually be able to cover the tour this year with COVID restrictions so getting product coverage is not a safe bet.

Any other year the Tour is a sure thing but this is 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I just thought about with a possible 12spd di2 coming is that instead of worry for obsolescence, it could be the time for di2 for the masses in 11spd.

12spd could be the premium product and they could push more 11spd di2 sales overall to the masses.

I would hope they do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I'm curious, are you riding any proper mountains or sprints? That said, I agree all this does is change the rest of the system. There is nothing to see here with the lack of 10t. Plenty of fine options for all scenarios.

"Proper" is rather subjective depending on where you live. Compared to Florida or Alpe D'Huez? I'm in Korea which is mountainous pretty much everywhere. Unless I ride along rivers there's at least a serious climb or two. Cruising speed in the flats on a typical 100km sunday ride is usually around 35kph, preferred cadence around 85-90. Even with a compact front, the 11t rear gets you to 60+kph before 110rpm. Are you sprinting at that speed? I'm certainly not capable of that. Nor do I feel like putting power down at that speed when I'm going downhill because I'm preoccupied with making sure I make it home in one piece.

Props if you're cruising along at 60kph on your Sunday rides. I can't do that even if I am above average in ability. When I think about the fact that stock bikes come with 11t and a 52t front, I can't reconcile that with the level of the average cyclist +/- 2sigma.

60kph is 37mph. We've a lot of little junk 6% hills in town here where I use my 56/42 combo. So yeah, downhill I'll do 40mph or so at a nice comfy cadence while making a hair of power.

It also isn't just about "max speed" capability. It's the fact that there's tangible watts lost in those smaller cogs. If you can make the smallest (fastest) cogs a big bigger, you gain efficiency. So usually if I'm racing I won't have an 11t cog on the bike.

There's some pretty "average" British time trial folks who run 56, 58t rings. But they sit with a nice straight chain line in a nice sized rear cog at a comfy cadence.

Higher cadence at higher speed can also feel a bit hairy. I'd rather go downwind or downhill at 90rpm give or take than 110rpm.

Yes, I run a 62 front chainring for this very reason. It scares the crap out of people in the car park before the race when they wonder about a 62/11 combo but the real reason is the chain line efficiency when I’m sat in the middle of my block and a huge overgear when going downhill so the bike doesn’t act as squirely.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Yes, I run a 62 front chainring for this very reason. It scares the crap out of people in the car park before the race when they wonder about a 62/11 combo but the real reason is the chain line efficiency when I’m sat in the middle of my block and a huge overgear when going downhill so the bike doesn’t act as squirely.

Sounds like you're talking about short flat TTs while I'm talking about hilly 150-250km road rides.

This past weekend I did a 2 day 550+ km ride. Average was around 200W, so not bad, but obviously not the same use case as a TT. In the flats I was normally in the 16t or 17t, which are 1 and 2 sprockets left of center on my 11-26 cassette with a 50t ring. So if I wanted to have the chain dead-center, I'd want to start at 12t and shift the rest of my gearing down accordingly. My other alternative is to get a 11-30 cassette which shifts the bigger cogs towards the center, but eliminate some 1t jumps in the meat of it. I'd rather get rid of the 11t than something in the 16-19t range, because I use those far more (and I assume most other people do too)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am excited for 12 speed DA for another reason...
I want more 12 speed Sram. Right now I run 1x11, on my n=1. If I went to 12 speed SRAM I would have to choose between running road 12 speed, or mountain 12 speed (because of the flat top chain) When Shimano 12 comes out, I am betting that I will be able to convert all my wheels to whatever cassette standard comes with it, and have a wheelset with a x-42, x-34 and x-30. Then I will get one of those kits to convert my mechanical sram shifter to 12 speed and be a happy guy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Depends on what I’m on but as long as I’m not counting grams, I’d be happy with a 12-40 cassette and 58-60T 1x for the TT bike. could trim the cassette down to a 28, 30, 32 or 34 for flatter stuff too.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a real weight-weenie :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Though I do wish SRAM would make the 54/41 rings available!

SRAM is apparently reading this thread - they just made the "pro only" 52/39T, 54/41T, 56/43T rings available to anyone.

Edit: But, dang, they're not cheap - only being available in the Quarq version - and come with a whole new AXS front derailleur required to use them.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 25, 21 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
I'm really struggling to see the point of a "semi-wireless" system. You will still have to pull apart the bottom bracket to run wires to the derailleurs, store a battery in the frame someplace, and (I assume) plug the entire bike into a charger, etc. I guess you clean up the cockpit a little.

How this thing charges should be interesting to see. I suppose they integrate a charging port into one of the derailleurs?

Well hiding the derailleur battery inside is the same thinking as hiding cables inside, it's more aero.
Two batteries for SRAM, one for Shimano.
SRAM has a patent on the battery-on-component iirc.
how often are you "pulling apart the bottom bracket to run wires" on a bike? Once? Twice? How often do you service a BB?

Don't forget ebikes are a thing. Not a little thing. You think Shimano sells more eBike motors and batteries or Dura Ace Di2 derailleurs?

In the future most premium bikes will already have batteries to power their pedal-assist. This idea of semi-wireless fits inline with the future.

That's my guess anyway.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

This is debated ad naseum but I'd like to see all the math that shows the added frontal area, chain length/weight, and risk of using components outside of Shimano/SRAM's design intent is any faster. You know "cross chaining" costs fractions of watts on modern chain/chainrings, yea?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 62T and a pieced-together Shimano 12/40 cassette at Worlds TT 2018 - primarily flat, but with a big climb in the middle. I'd love something like 64T up front and a 12-speed 12-42 cassette on the rear for hilly courses, something like 12-13-14-15-16-18-20-23-26-30-35-42. 11-32 for flatter ones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next