Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [wtboone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wtboone wrote:
How would the Wing with visor and vent open compare to Aerohead without visor? I find the the Aerohead too hot to use with a visor most of the time and have noticed that pros often ditch the Aerohead visor as well.

in "normal" weather racing for me (which varies from upper 70s to around 90 degrees) i typically always notice sweat all over the visor of the aerohead. of course the hotter it gets the more there is.

in lubbock it was mid to upper 70s for the bike ride and the only moisture was the condensation that formed from just sitting in T1 that quickly dissipated once airflow began during the ride. for the duration of the bike ride there wasnt a drop of sweat hit the visor with the little magnetic vent ON.

another thing to note, i noticed the plastic / acrylic visors for the wing are MUCH more flexible and bendy than the aerohead. my aerohead has a crack in it (which pushed me over the edge to make the wing purchase) so thats yet another plus.

take away any aero benefits for me personally (because i cant test it, so i cant quantify it) i much much more like the wing than the aerohead. i think they knocked it out of the park with this helmet.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Jul 3, 21 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I just bought and received the Aero wing - it looks sweet and feels great while on, but I for the life of me could NOT get this thing on with any semblance of speed/efficiency. My head tested near the upper end of SM/M, so it may be I just need the large, but unfortunately, I can't get one right now and thus am going to try the Giro aerohead and see if I can get that thing on faster.

For all you folks using this helmet in triathlons, is it really hard to get this helmet on compared to other helmets? Mine fit fine (albeit a bit snugly) once on, but it was super hard to get on - I ended up folding my ears over with it on, and having to scrunch my fingers under the sides to flatten out my ears once they were on.

I also was less than impressed by the magnets on the visor - seemed like it would be really easy to inadvertently not lock down one of the side magnets (I did that, only noticed when I stood in front of the mirror) and having it hanging off in the wind.

Again, I literally just got it, so if I'm doing it wrong, let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a large. I was also at the upper end of sm/md, got one in the first run and it just didn't work. They exchanged it no issue.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Man, I just bought and received the Aero wing - it looks sweet and feels great while on, but I for the life of me could NOT get this thing on with any semblance of speed/efficiency. My head tested near the upper end of SM/M, so it may be I just need the large, but unfortunately, I can't get one right now and thus am going to try the Giro aerohead and see if I can get that thing on faster.

For all you folks using this helmet in triathlons, is it really hard to get this helmet on compared to other helmets? Mine fit fine (albeit a bit snugly) once on, but it was super hard to get on - I ended up folding my ears over with it on, and having to scrunch my fingers under the sides to flatten out my ears once they were on.

I also was less than impressed by the magnets on the visor - seemed like it would be really easy to inadvertently not lock down one of the side magnets (I did that, only noticed when I stood in front of the mirror) and having it hanging off in the wind.

Again, I literally just got it, so if I'm doing it wrong, let me know!

mind if i ask by what you mean when you say "tested"? you mean measured?

i ask because i measured my head and im in the upper end of the smaller size as well, and my ears would get caught putting it on while testing, but when i was sitting in T1 it popped right on no issue.

i purchased a clear visor and personally i didnt notice any issue with either of the visors magnets in normal position or up on the top of the helmet.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I meant measured for my head size, yes.

I spent quite awhile yesterday trying to find a 'trick' to get it on efficiently, but alas, I could not find one. I am going to likely return this helmet as it will cost me way too much time in T1 compared to my old aero helmet.

I'd love to try the large size, which might work, but alas, I can't get it right now. Will be trying the Giro aerohead, which apparently leaves your ears exposed, which seems like it would be a lot faster to put on (even compared to my current Giro Advantage 2 helmet, which covers the ears and is also slightly annoying to put on in T1.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ear flaps are snug but also pretty flexible. I bend mine out when putting it on and that solves the problem for me (and I’ve got pretty large ears). I Worried about the durability doing this but for me it’s my second summer with the helmet and it’s holding up just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if these helmets will ever be in stock again? I've been considering upgrading from my Giro Vanquish but the Wing has seemingly been out of stock everywhere for months.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting these results Jim!

As a sponsored Rudy Project athlete I “have” to say I love The Wing but the truth is I legitimately do and the creation of this helmet was a key factor in partnering with them. I feel it’s important to say I signed with them right before they came out with The Wing. I saw wind tunnel data and knew it would be a fast helmet. I switched from the Aerohead and have felt it to be more comfortable, easier to adjust (as everyone said), but also significantly cooler. It’s time people start noticing how good the helmet is.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
IG: @samgolong
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam(go) Long wrote:

As a sponsored Rudy Project athlete I “have” to say I love The Wing but the truth is I legitimately do and the creation of this helmet was a key factor in partnering with them. I feel it’s important to say I signed with them right before they came out with The Wing. I saw wind tunnel data and knew it would be a fast helmet. I switched from the Aerohead and have felt it to be more comfortable, easier to adjust (as everyone said), but also significantly cooler. It’s time people start noticing how good the helmet is.

It continues to test well, and is a favorite amongst our clients. Whether or not it's fastest for a given athlete can obviously only be known by testing, but if you can't test, I think the Wing and Aerohead are both good bets. Comfort-wise, it's hands down the favorite.

Addressing the question from another poster about availability. I know this had been a good seller for them so they sell out as quickly as they come in, but also note they lost an entire container of these helmets over the side of a ship earlier in 2021. If I remember correctly they were all or mostly white but I could be wrong on that one.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Sam(go) Long wrote:

It continues to test well, and is a favorite amongst our clients. Whether or not it's fastest for a given athlete can obviously only be known by testing, but if you can't test, I think the Wing and Aerohead are both good bets. Comfort-wise, it's hands down the favorite.

Addressing the question from another poster about availability. I know this had been a good seller for them so they sell out as quickly as they come in, but also note they lost an entire container of these helmets over the side of a ship earlier in 2021. If I remember correctly they were all or mostly white but I could be wrong on that one.

That's incredibly unfortunate! They're current projecting late April '22 until they're back in stock. Hopefully it's before then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a reply to the thread. Have kept an eye on the restock date on rudy project’s website (last I saw was June 2022 as of a few weeks ago.)
Now it just shows “sold out.”
Hmmm. Anyone know what’s up?

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/...ts/products/the-wing
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer, perhaps they received more helmets and they went straight to distributors and retailers? Glad I didn't wait around and got the Smith Jetstream TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno, but if they are hard to come by … I bot one last year that I intended to do some aero testing with, still NIB. Size S/M. Will sell for what I paid (never going to get around to aero testing and it is bigger than my S aero head, so just going to stick with that lacking data to do otherwise). Just PM if interested.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a RP Wing last year and haven't really had the chance to wear it until this past weekend. I have the S/M and it fits great but it really presses on my ears. I was not loving that for an hour ride so I can't imagine what a 56 or 112 mile ride would fell like. Is this something that gets better or do I need to sell it since I'm way past the return window. The L (even if I could find one) is going to be way too big.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might find that the L will fit you. I have a small head, and tried a L on at a store and was surprised how much closure it had to fit my head.

I wear a M for Giro and can fit a S for a specialized. Not sure how confident you are with pursuing it, but worth considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ols wrote:
Just a reply to the thread. Have kept an eye on the restock date on rudy project’s website (last I saw was June 2022 as of a few weeks ago.)
Now it just shows “sold out.”
Hmmm. Anyone know what’s up?

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/...ts/products/the-wing

I was told that they literally lost a shipping containers worth of product over the side of the boat a few months back and won’t see restock anywhere until October 2022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I bought a RP Wing last year and haven't really had the chance to wear it until this past weekend. I have the S/M and it fits great but it really presses on my ears. I was not loving that for an hour ride so I can't imagine what a 56 or 112 mile ride would fell like. Is this something that gets better or do I need to sell it since I'm way past the return window. The L (even if I could find one) is going to be way too big.
I had the same feeling as you, very uncomfortable pressure on the ears,the rest of the fit was good, I sold mine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

That's what mine did, the sales rep told me to wear it for an hour in the house and see how I felt. Sent it back in when they had larges. Larges are not as big as you think.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question for anyone using this helmet - have you ever found it makes a whistling noise when your head is at certain angles ?I tried one today in a tt and found it kept doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [erikssen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erikssen wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I had the same feeling as you, very uncomfortable pressure on the ears,the rest of the fit was good, I sold mine...

I had one for awhile last year, bought it to try out based on the data presented in this thread. In my very rudimentary testing, comparing it to the P-09 I had been using, I couldn't really suss out any significant difference. This didn't surprise me, given that the shape and size of the two helmets were almost indistinguishable. Given that the P-09 was really comfortable and the RP Wing, well, wasn't, I sold the RP.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian... Bringing this back from the dead but last minute question about the visor. Did you test with and without? Any data on the Wing without visor, no sunglasses?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [smartini23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smartini23 wrote:
Hey Brian... Bringing this back from the dead but last minute question about the visor. Did you test with and without? Any data on the Wing without visor, no sunglasses?

I did not test but someone I trust to be one of the best aero testers out there did. Marginal losses without visor and with sunglasses.

I don't know if he tested with no glasses
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much!
Quote Reply

Prev Next