Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

I am looking for some help for my wife. She has been a cyclist for 30 plus years but recently has started to have some very uncomfortable issues with her seat these past few months, she hasn't changed any set up, still the same ladies seat and bike position but she has tried various ways to relive the pain between the legs but not much has helped, wondering if any one could offer any advice of new saddles or remedies. I have got her different shorts some with thick padding and some with hardly any padding none seem to make much difference really.

Thanks for your help. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Seat recommendations [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could it be an issue with aging? Either of the saddle, or your wife (you didn’t say how old she is but if she has been riding for 30 years, could she be around menopausal age?) The skin and tissues of the female undercarriage change considerably around menopause.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have her go back to her fitter or if that doesn't work, a female fitter, and explain the issue. I completely reconfigured my saddle post-menopause and am now riding a Selle SMP with zero soft tissue issues.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Seat recommendations [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for your replies, the seat is about 4 years old a Terry's woman's saddle which replaced a similar one she had for years before. No change in the bike set up, she's been riding the same QR tri bike since 1994 time frame. She is late 50's but went past the mesopause many years back after a hysterectomy about 20 plus years ago, she doesn't think it is that, but as she says it could be just getting older, but she is fed up with the pain and soreness some days it just stops her from riding..
Cheers LA Rob
Last edited by: hercules: Mar 17, 21 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four years old is pretty old for saddle padding. Maybe try first with getting a new version of the old saddle she liked and see if that fixes it.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had awful saddle issues for the past year. I finally got it figured out and am using the ISM PN3.1 and it's been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use the Terry butterfly and found that the saddle didn’t last nearly as long as Terry said it would. The saddle started to loose support as it slowly collapsed inward towards the center cut out. I switched to the Selle Italia Diva which is very similar, but holds its integrity much longer. I average about 6,000 miles a year and replace my saddle every two years-ish. Saddle pain is no fun and I hope your wife finds something that works for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat recommendations [SLBTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again thank you ladies for all your advice, I will certainly look into getting her a new saddle as the first step, she is going to see her gynecologists' and will be asking her about this issue as well, as like I mentioned she has been riding a good many years and like us all has suffered now and again but for some reason the past few months have been extremely painful and no amount of changing the shorts with thick or thin padding has helped, don't know of any type of cream either??, but we'll defiantly try the new saddle first, I even got one of those neoprene saddle covers for her to try from DeSoto as I like that myself but that didn't help her either.
Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would find a shop that has The Saddle Changer and go try saddles. That is really the only way.

But what do I know :-)
Swifty

Swifty

Quote Reply
Re: Seat recommendations [Swifty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks never heard of a place like that Saddle Changer, but it sure sounds a good idea, but I have just got her a new saddle that I need to put on her bike, its a Selle Italia Lady E-Bike gel flow so hopefully this will do the trick.. again thanks for all the recommendations to everyone. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply