Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Shoe of Choice?
Quote | Reply
Now that racing seems like it is on the horizon I was wondering what the current smart money is on for shoes to race in. Is the custom job on Giro's still the best option?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoe of Choice? [Insilvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've got wide feet I'd defo say Lake.
I got some last year and finally after years I've got a really comfy road shoe.
Plenty stiff enough carbon sole for my (limited) power.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Mar 16, 21 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that racing seems like it is on the horizon I was wondering what the current smart money is on for shoes to race in. Is the custom job on Giro's still the best option?

Cycling shoes are all about the fit - If the Giro fit (narrow with a small toe box) is great for your feet, then that's great. They are not for everyone.

The customization I think you are talking about is with the Giro Empire* lace-up shoes - removing the laces and possibly even the tongue and fashioning some form of elasticized fit over the top of the foot - to be able to get in out easily and also hold your foot in place. Cody Beals had the best one of these customized Giro Empires that I have seen - but he's since moved on to Shimano shoes as I seem to recall.

The Giro Empire's are the shoes that I have been riding for road riding for a number of years now. They check a number of boxes for me - they fit me well. They are super light. I can use the laces to dial in the fit across the top of my foot. They clean up nicely when you get them a bit dirty (I ride white shoes always!).

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait a few months, we are getting really close!

This month we have all the tooling to make sizes 43-44.5. If the shoes we make from that then out well, 8-10 weeks later we'll be in production for all sizes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From an aero perspective, the modified Empires (or something similar, I use LG LA84 laceups...which are very similar).

For long course, lots of athletes opt for a comfy road shoe, and the Sphires seem to be a popular choice. Less aero though.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoe of Choice? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
From an aero perspective, the modified Empires (or something similar, I use LG LA84 laceups...which are very similar).

For long course, lots of athletes opt for a comfy road shoe, and the S-phyres seem to be a popular choice. Less aero though.

I am literally awaiting the courier van to deliver my s-phyres in the next few minutes according to tracking. Replacing the S-works.

Aero did not come into my considerations in the slightest. For road riding, then I'd have covers on, for long course (which is all I focus on) then being comfortable in the last 20km is the only thing I need from shoes. Well that and not pressing on my achilles leaving me hobbling for over a year. I was hoping that last 'requirement' should have been a given. For reference I'm a 5h15 rider on an aero brick of a bike.

I've ridden for over an hour literally howling out loud in pain every revolution of the pedals at the end of a training ride with hotfoot when an insole had lost its support. Never want to go through that again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:

Something without big bulky straps and that is NOT going to disrupt the airflow. As others have already posted, and you alluded my old Giro hack might be the cheapest and easiest option to achieve this.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:

also, in case you find this useful, this is from our wind tunnel testing.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply