Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
We did a series in our day you might be interested in. We made short videos with triathletes of all skill levels, experience, and capability and asked a few basic questions:
1. What was your first triathlon?
2. Why do you do triathlon?
3. What's your favorite part of triathlon?
4. What are you goals?
5. Why should other people get into triathlon?

https://www.youtube.com/..._ShbrrdN_pNmSQAn97Yf

I thought it was a good formula but it never took off like we hoped.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of for an "intro" video for each person but focus more of the personal challenge side of it. Then from there roll into weekly vids of some type.

I definitely hear what people are saying about the average "boring" thing, average is just that, average, and not all that fun to watch unless you can connect on some level and that would be more what I was thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imo the videos that would connect would have nothing to do with an single second of working out in said video.

It would be the ā€œmelt downā€ video of the athlete who drove 30 mins to the pool and their kid moved their swim bag and thus the athlete canā€™t swim so they sit in their car and bitch about the time just wasted.

Or showing up to the pool and some kid shat in the pool so no swim today.

Looking at a calendar of a parent w 3 kids and 20 different activities and having to train around that!!

Videos that highlight the real struggle many often go through....

Thatā€™s gold Jerry.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 19, 21 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to where we were 4-5 years ago, there has been quite positive growth for triathlon on YouTube. I remember when I first entered the sport in 2009 and the first several years that followed, any kind of content was little and lacking in quality.

Of course, Talbot really helped kick off the growth and led the way with his documenting and stylizing the pros training and racing. I think since COVID, even more pros and age groupers are getting into the game and that's great! There's probably some storyline for everyone, Pro/AG, and I think the most genuine of triathletes just hope to inspire/promote the sport in some way (not referring to influencers). My wife and I have been doing our channel consistently for the last year and it's slowly (emphasis on s-l-o-w-l-y) starting to grow. The feedback we hear from others keeps us wanting to build what we're doing with it and continue to put out content of our journey.

Following age groupers in the bigger picture with a project like this may or may not gain traction with the masses, but inevitably, there is likely some size of audience out there it will resonate with and inspire. We'd totally be game to participate in a project like this and already love the conversation and collaboration that's unfolding in this thread. Also, unfortunately, you do have to look at the return on investment and if it's worth all the work it takes to put into a production like this with no guarantees of what comes from it in return. While most average YouTube triathlete probably won't make a living putting out content, it is somewhat necessary to at least get something back financially to make it sustainable.

Just my .02 šŸ˜

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
kajet wrote:
I for one wouldn't see the point of a channel showing age groupers with their busy lives. I am one. What could possibly be the revelation I'm getting?

General commiserating and seeing that everyone struggles and how people deal with it, and possible motivation.

Got it. Still not sure if I'd spend 10 minutes commiserating, given the short attention span, but perhaps it's just me. And I'd sure watch one if the creators put a humorous spin on the material. Lionel-style, only even more like that.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
EDavis192 wrote:
Wasn't Talbot Supposed to do an AGer video?

I don't recall ever seeing it.

Yeah, I bought one of those damn Christmas shirts for a chance to win an AG vid. Granted, I think the idea likely fell off due to COVID.

Yeah that was my thinking too!
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Give me a call. I am all down to help promote even shoot some stuff but I can explain to you why this has not been done yet. 405-626-2816
If there is a man for the job, this man is Talbotcox!

I think it will be beneficial for all seeing someone with the same struggles. Maybe we can learn with each other...tips...hacks.

I know that for some people watching another average Joe/Jane can be boring, but I remember a every man jack video produced by GU, this one btw ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfYAI3MamKA

I really related with that guy when I was building for my first 70.3. Training alone in the dark.....having to do things around his working day. He was training in the end dedicated that effort to his father that pasted. I was training and had someone on my life that pasted recently too....so that was something that I felt very connect with that guy.

Not only focusing on training, but what that means to every single one. Outside of training to be fit, most of us have different reasons to do what we do. Some want to make their kids proud....maybe makes their parents proud. Some are trying to raise money for a charity! Who knows....but most likely you will relate to someone in the vlog too.
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [TSTriATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSTriATX wrote:
Compared to where we were 4-5 years ago, there has been quite positive growth for triathlon on YouTube. I remember when I first entered the sport in 2009 and the first several years that followed, any kind of content was little and lacking in quality.

Of course, Talbot really helped kick off the growth and led the way with his documenting and stylizing the pros training and racing. I think since COVID, even more pros and age groupers are getting into the game and that's great! There's probably some storyline for everyone, Pro/AG, and I think the most genuine of triathletes just hope to inspire/promote the sport in some way (not referring to influencers). My wife and I have been doing our channel consistently for the last year and it's slowly (emphasis on s-l-o-w-l-y) starting to grow. The feedback we hear from others keeps us wanting to build what we're doing with it and continue to put out content of our journey.

Following age groupers in the bigger picture with a project like this may or may not gain traction with the masses, but inevitably, there is likely some size of audience out there it will resonate with and inspire. We'd totally be game to participate in a project like this and already love the conversation and collaboration that's unfolding in this thread. Also, unfortunately, you do have to look at the return on investment and if it's worth all the work it takes to put into a production like this with no guarantees of what comes from it in return. While most average YouTube triathlete probably won't make a living putting out content, it is somewhat necessary to at least get something back financially to make it sustainable.

Just my .02 šŸ˜

See there is people already doing it! I've just subscribed to your channel! Loved the drone shots ! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you want to see like a Seth James DeMoor or Kofuzi type channel, but for Triathlon?

I mean, Taren was like that WAY back in the day. Used to be the average Joe and that's how he was relatable and great for the age grouper and then when he got remotely big he started shilling.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, man, that certainly means a lot. We hope the sincere passion we have for this sport comes through in our videos and we're open to thoughts on content for future videos as well. Otherwise, we're just trying to document and journal our reality centered around the balance of training, racing and life.

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not read all the replies, but replying to the OP - I think one issue is many on here don't realize what good content there is out there from pros, especially outside the US.

Very regular are:

Laura Philipp
Felix Hentchel - lesser known, but very down to earth
Richard Murray and Rachel Klamer
Joe Skipper

There's little selling, just a dose of reality, and they're really good.

There are also many more. For instance, Jan Frodeno's coach posts videos, and has hardly any views. He did an interview seven months ago with Greg Bennett and it has 170 views. That's crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this channel, Leonardmlee
I seriously only know this dude as "as that fat cyclist on youtube." I don't mean any dis by that either is just what I refer to him as I never got around to remembering his name(just now learned it so I could look up the channel name), but my girlfriend and I like to watch his videos. His production quality is pretty good, hes just an average joe riding his bike. I find it enjoyable, even though I can't "learn" anything from it training wise. It's not too over the top either like the more popular guys you see on youtube either. I think there's plenty of space for more content like his

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely chime into the chats about YouTube, just because I feel like I have an inherently biased opinion as someone who makes videos, but here's my 2c:

Triathlon is an interesting sport to make videos on. It's (often) such an individual sport in practice. Many people are out there just quietly sort of 'getting it done' on a day to day basis without really talking about it. Tri seems to draw both the solo, quiet workers, and the loud, self-proclaiming, alpha types (and that's fine.) I feel like I fall somewhere in the middle. Seth James DeMoor and Kofuzi were brought up recently; I love both of their channels. Speaking for myself, and to the point of the OP, I think one of the reasons you might not see a lot of 'everyday' athletes making videos is that it feels self-contradictory to the ethos that is why I'm in the sport in the first place. I've actually sort of wanted to make videos more like Kofuzi before, because I enjoy watching them quite a lot, but there's a disconnect in my head between enjoying someone else like Ko and feeling like people might like those videos from me. It feels very, "Ooooh, look how cool I am, here's b-roll of me running, because I am so good at running that you should watch me do it." I don't like making videos like that because I just feel very out of place; perhaps it's imposter syndrome, but I definitely enjoy watching types of videos that I also deeply dislike making.

So all that's to say: I think the idea is great, but I could see a challenge of finding that authenticity while still highlighting the people who are of that more solo, internalized motivation, type one crowd. I'd enjoy watching it though. :)

Edit: I guess my point is that: Making videos is hard. It's really hard and uncomfortable to film yourself. I still dislike turning the camera on, and I deeeeply dislike filming in public. But I love watching other people's content, and I distinctly remember being new into the tri side of things and wanting to watch videos about it, and just not finding what I was looking for. The great thing about YouTube as a platform is, I feel, there's little 'competition.' People don't need to chose between my videos or some other videos; they can watch both! If they don't like my videos, that's fine. My goal is share my perspective on the sport, share knowledge, and hopefully get people excited about it. If someone watches my videos and feels that, then that's a win in my book.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Mar 21, 21 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Check out this channel, Leonardmlee
I seriously only know this dude as "as that fat cyclist on youtube." I don't mean any dis by that either is just what I refer to him as I never got around to remembering his name(just now learned it so I could look up the channel name), but my girlfriend and I like to watch his videos. His production quality is pretty good, hes just an average joe riding his bike. I find it enjoyable, even though I can't "learn" anything from it training wise. It's not too over the top either like the more popular guys you see on youtube either. I think there's plenty of space for more content like his

Iā€™ve stumbled across his channel and watched a couple of videos. Not bad, except the one thing that bugs me is that he frames his face rather oddly when heā€™s talking into the camera.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
Hello All,

I`m not going to lie, I have been frustrated with some Triathlon related youtube channels / social media influencers lately.

Maybe to get some audience you have to push some products and give advice without very little scientific base, or maybe you have to perform with some questionable nutritional supplements. We do have some channels more focused on product reviews, maybe tips with formal professional athletes that I find interesting and informative.

But what about the average Joe / Jane? What about the guys/girls with a busy 9 to 5, kids that struggle to get 1hour training done, take care of kids and have some quality time with spouse ? Those that wake up at 4:30 to get some miles in before breakfast so they can help kids get ready for school and then start your working day? What about the empty Nester that decides to be more active and get back to sports, or maybe the young single person that was active in college but it's a bit overweight and decides to do something about it?

Those folks sometimes don't have a voice on social media - nobody will try to sell anything on that channel correct?

I have a busy 9 - 5 ( more like 7:30 to 4 ) with a 14 month old girl and a wife that likes to spend time with me ( not sure why, but that's another post ) and it's been very hard to find 1hour maybe 1h30 daily to get some miles done. For some time I was thinking about doing a youtube channel telling my story but let's face it:

1- I'm really not that interesting
2- I can barely do as it's image filming and editing on top of that

So that's my idea:

Why not have a youtube channel that average Joes/ Janes can tell a day in their lives as a triathlete ?

Every week or so someone would tell a day in the life of an age grouper, training, eating, family time and it has to be all age groups - from someone training for their first triathlon to someone fighting for a Kona spot.

Kind of in the way LS, Tim and Rinny and Eric Lagerstron, but people would be free to be creative ( with some guidelines obviously )

Have to be from all races, sex, religion, special need athletes all across the World - North America, and South America, Europe, Australia, Asia. So we could grow a community specially now that everybody is getting excited to race again.

People would submit their videos already done and edited and any money from this youtube channel would go to a non profit that support any kind of sport or no hungry kids

Is it something you would be interested to watch or even take part of?

Please let me know

PS - I haven't mentioned any names beside the professional athletes - so if you think I`m talking about a youtuber you like, that's on you - but please no hate towards this thread. If I don't like the idea that's fine, just don't try to defend someone that was not even mentioned.

The most important thing is to make sure there is an obligatory coffee brewing montage at the start of every video. You canā€™t do a triathlon video without that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Iā€™ll be just watching the channel for a while,unless you want an old guy, new to tri, attempting a comeback from this: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it that Talbot just drops his phone number in here.

I've been on YouTube for almost 3 years. If you're an age group triathlete posting the basic 'day in the life' style content, I think you'll find it very hard to generate a large following (not impossible but difficult). There are actually thousands of channels like this and I'm super glad that people are willing to post this stuff because it's more eyes on our sport. Even if it's only friends and family watching.

Pro triathletes tend to have a little bit larger following to begin with and therefor can translate that into more subscribers and yet most of these channels are still not making money. Someone has to spend the 5-10 hours per week filming and editing the content and most of these pro athletes don't have the time if it's not going to contribute to them financially in the near term.

I would love to see someone donate that kind of time/money to telling an age grouper's story. Even if it's short term. But I think it's a big ask.

Thanks Talbot! ;)

YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [mlegrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband and i have a you tube channel (Life With a Fast Wife) documenting our adventures in training for and racing off-road triathlons and mountain bike races. Racing content has been sparse since last year we only did 3 races. The story line is that i was a elite runner/duathlete/triathlete and he was a former smoker/drinker that decided to take up biking so we would have something to do together. Except he bought us mountain bikes, which i had no experience with and eventually we started riding longer distances and off-road triathlons. We both have high demand full time jobs and my husband has a daughter, so the videos tend to be short 5-10 minutes and we struggle to get good content. Open to suggestions. I should do one on how we balance it all as we both work around 50 hours per week and probably get 10 hours per week of training in. Any other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
. It feels very, "Ooooh, look how cool I am, here's b-roll of me running, because I am so good at running that you should watch me do it." I don't like making videos like that because I just feel very out of place; perhaps it's imposter syndrome, but I definitely enjoy watching types of videos that I also deeply dislike making.

Yea when I watch vids, I play out in my head how that person set up their shot. Setting up their camera, running back off frame, and then running across the scene. Seems kinda funny. In that same line, I recently watched this Rich Roll podcast with 2 guys on Minimalism. Something just seems so backwards listening to 2 guys who are now incredibly wealthy selling "minimalism"

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time I see a viral trick shot video that happens fairly regularly or some lucky athletic feat that ESPN blasts on it's social media feeds, I always think to myself "how many takes did it take" to accomplish it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
I rarely chime into the chats about YouTube, just because I feel like I have an inherently biased opinion as someone who makes videos, but here's my 2c:

Triathlon is an interesting sport to make videos on. It's (often) such an individual sport in practice. Many people are out there just quietly sort of 'getting it done' on a day to day basis without really talking about it. Tri seems to draw both the solo, quiet workers, and the loud, self-proclaiming, alpha types (and that's fine.) I feel like I fall somewhere in the middle. Seth James DeMoor and Kofuzi were brought up recently; I love both of their channels. Speaking for myself, and to the point of the OP, I think one of the reasons you might not see a lot of 'everyday' athletes making videos is that it feels self-contradictory to the ethos that is why I'm in the sport in the first place. I've actually sort of wanted to make videos more like Kofuzi before, because I enjoy watching them quite a lot, but there's a disconnect in my head between enjoying someone else like Ko and feeling like people might like those videos from me. It feels very, "Ooooh, look how cool I am, here's b-roll of me running, because I am so good at running that you should watch me do it." I don't like making videos like that because I just feel very out of place; perhaps it's imposter syndrome, but I definitely enjoy watching types of videos that I also deeply dislike making.

So all that's to say: I think the idea is great, but I could see a challenge of finding that authenticity while still highlighting the people who are of that more solo, internalized motivation, type one crowd. I'd enjoy watching it though. :)

Edit: I guess my point is that: Making videos is hard. It's really hard and uncomfortable to film yourself. I still dislike turning the camera on, and I deeeeply dislike filming in public. But I love watching other people's content, and I distinctly remember being new into the tri side of things and wanting to watch videos about it, and just not finding what I was looking for. The great thing about YouTube as a platform is, I feel, there's little 'competition.' People don't need to chose between my videos or some other videos; they can watch both! If they don't like my videos, that's fine. My goal is share my perspective on the sport, share knowledge, and hopefully get people excited about it. If someone watches my videos and feels that, then that's a win in my book.

I've watched a few of your video as they've come up in my feed, and I really like your content. I've toyed with the idea of doing something, but then reality sets in that no one really wants to watch a fat accountant ride on zwift for an hour...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have a lot of friends who post a ton of "action shots" of them working out, and I always think. how much time out of your workout did you take to make that work?
I think one problem with the original idea is that it takes a lot of equipment to make a quality youtube video. You are likely going to need some sort of gimbal, a mic, possibly multiple go pros, editing software, music rights (which I know can be bought easily, but if you notice many channels use the same background tracks multiple times so they only buy the rights once)
Also people who make good youtube content are not just "lucky" there is a lot of work that goes into it. Finding the right duration for your audience, pacing, lighting ETC, and as a final thought, a lot of the good tri content, has a content creator behind it. Someone framing the shots and flying the drone and all of those little things. Not as easy as a DIY.
Quote Reply
Re: How to have better Triathlon content on Youtube? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
FaKaspar wrote:
Hello All,

I`m not going to lie, I have been frustrated with some Triathlon related youtube channels / social media influencers lately.

Maybe to get some audience you have to push some products and give advice without very little scientific base, or maybe you have to perform with some questionable nutritional supplements. We do have some channels more focused on product reviews, maybe tips with formal professional athletes that I find interesting and informative.

But what about the average Joe / Jane? What about the guys/girls with a busy 9 to 5, kids that struggle to get 1hour training done, take care of kids and have some quality time with spouse ? Those that wake up at 4:30 to get some miles in before breakfast so they can help kids get ready for school and then start your working day? What about the empty Nester that decides to be more active and get back to sports, or maybe the young single person that was active in college but it's a bit overweight and decides to do something about it?

Those folks sometimes don't have a voice on social media - nobody will try to sell anything on that channel correct?

I have a busy 9 - 5 ( more like 7:30 to 4 ) with a 14 month old girl and a wife that likes to spend time with me ( not sure why, but that's another post ) and it's been very hard to find 1hour maybe 1h30 daily to get some miles done. For some time I was thinking about doing a youtube channel telling my story but let's face it:

1- I'm really not that interesting
2- I can barely do as it's image filming and editing on top of that

So that's my idea:

Why not have a youtube channel that average Joes/ Janes can tell a day in their lives as a triathlete ?

Every week or so someone would tell a day in the life of an age grouper, training, eating, family time and it has to be all age groups - from someone training for their first triathlon to someone fighting for a Kona spot.

Kind of in the way LS, Tim and Rinny and Eric Lagerstron, but people would be free to be creative ( with some guidelines obviously )

Have to be from all races, sex, religion, special need athletes all across the World - North America, and South America, Europe, Australia, Asia. So we could grow a community specially now that everybody is getting excited to race again.

People would submit their videos already done and edited and any money from this youtube channel would go to a non profit that support any kind of sport or no hungry kids

Is it something you would be interested to watch or even take part of?

Please let me know

PS - I haven't mentioned any names beside the professional athletes - so if you think I`m talking about a youtuber you like, that's on you - but please no hate towards this thread. If I don't like the idea that's fine, just don't try to defend someone that was not even mentioned.

The most important thing is to make sure there is an obligatory coffee brewing montage at the start of every video. You canā€™t do a triathlon video without that.

hahahaha ....SOOO TRUE

I lost count how many slowmo coffee making with super edgy music montages I've seen in my life in the last 2 years

And this is not only triathlon, there is a crossfit retired guy doing youtube now that is completely obsessed with coffee

maybe you have to take it so many times in a day to keep training that you end up developing a taste for it

Who knows!
Quote Reply

Prev Next