Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Bikes Comes to Canada
Quote | Reply
https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/

Is anyone else here in the north thinking of buying a Canyon? Prices seem attractive, but it's hard to buy a bike you can't actually try out.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Bikes Comes to Canada [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think I’ve ever tried out a bike before buying, so that doesn’t concern me.

I like that they will be still offering the Ultimate in a couple of rim brake trim levels.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting strategy of launching the brand in Canada and not have bikes you can actually buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought about canyon and was on their mailing list waiting for the launch, but they don't have any of the bikes I'd be considering up.

Ive heard they are planning to have showrooms /demo centres in major cities at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Bikes Comes to Canada [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever tried out a bike before buying, so that doesn’t concern me.

I like that they will be still offering the Ultimate in a couple of rim brake trim levels.

Thanks Jason, I hope life is good on Canada's #2 coast! How have you worked out buying before trying? Is it a matter is starting with a bike fitting? Or another approach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A combination of a fitting (which I last did as a “fitting” around 20 years ago), and knowing what I wanted position wise.

Last TT bike I bought (a used P2k in 2018) I figured out my position with a couple of cheap stems and some time on the trainer,

Really, unless I can get the dealer to swap stems and bars, and adjust everything to exactly where I want it, which might take me a week to figure out on a road bike, I’m not gonna tell much from a test ride. I mostly just care about the contact points anyway, which are adjustable on any bike. Road bikes take me a while, and mean removing bar tape, swapping stems, rotating bars and repositioning levers, swapping saddles, etc etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Bikes Comes to Canada [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, unless I can get the dealer to swap stems and bars, and adjust everything to exactly where I want it, which might take me a week to figure out on a road bike, I’m not gonna tell much from a test ride. I mostly just care about the contact points anyway, which are adjustable on any bike. Road bikes take me a while, and mean removing bar tape, swapping stems, rotating bars and repositioning levers, swapping saddles, etc etc.

Same.

The need to actually ride a bike before buying it does not really bother me, because I know I'll be doing a good amount of customization and fiddling with the fit myself, once I get it in my hands.

The frame size needs to be right -r pretty close, and then it's about getting the rest of it dialed into my liking. For that I set a bike up on the trainer and ride and fiddle here and there until I get it just right!

On the bigger picture it will be interesting to see how this goes for Canyon in Canada - I suspect well. I've already spoke to a few insiders up here in the bike/tri business today, and they are expecting to see some strong numbers for Canyon in terms of sales. There will be the usual blow-back from some dealers - which is almost to be expected, and I almost understand where they are coming from, but if that Canyon owner shows up at the door of the store, needing some help, hopefully they will be nice to them.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no, now every LBS in Canada will go out of business! Lol.

The buy local people are losing their minds but we've been buying mail order bikes here for a long time, just not from a major player like Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Bikes Comes to Canada [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, now every LBS in Canada will go out of business! Lol.

The buy local people are losing their minds but we've been buying mail order bikes here for a long time, just not from a major player like Canyon.

I've already been called out on Twitter for this! By merely mentioning Canyon's name I'm leading to the demise of LBS's in Canada!

FWIW, several companies have, as you noted been offering DTC sales of whole bikes in Canada for a number of years now - Kind Human out of Toronto is one that comes to mind, using the exact same model as Canyon does - they just don't have Canyon's size, marketing and muscle!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply