Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are training together for an IM 70.3 (Des Moines) in June. After doing numerous Oly's it'll be my first at that distance, and her 2nd. She makes the AG podium in most of her events, so her approach to training obviously works for her. We use TrainingPeaks but she doesn't concern herself much with the metrics. I do because it appeals to the data science part of my brain as an engineering professional. Since we had plenty of lead time we took a long gradual gradient to ramping the workload - 6 months. TP reports a rather consistent CTL ramp rate of 3/week. In Joel Friel's published advice on CTL ramp, he mentions 5-8 "about right for most" (https://joefrielsblog.com/the-ctl-ramp-rate/). There are no magic numbers and these are just data points, but I'm curious how this compares to other AG'ers, especially those in the mid-50's AG.

Is you ramp rate fairly linear throughout your training until taper?

Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [Troutd0g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid-point of the final 20 weeks? Of when I started to get back into training? Something else?

If it's the mid-point of the last 20 weeks the ramp rate will be pretty flat because I'm going to be practicing race efforts and not building endurance or FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [Troutd0g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are starting from off period or very little training, you'll see much bigger ctl at first and it will flatten out
generally, average of 3 per week is reasonable rule of thumb, more than that you could be risking injury
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking about the mid-point of your training program, when the initial steeper ramp from start-up is over and you are in the thick of your training program. A ramp rate of 3 has been working well for us thus far and I agree with @dgutstadt that ramping more quickly could be risky (for us). This is far below the 5-8 that Friel describes. Wondered how this compares to the load ramps that others use during their training. Many (most?) would probably follow a 20-week plan, we are doing 24 weeks and we used the first 4 weeks to reestablish some base.
Last edited by: Troutd0g: Mar 16, 21 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a problem with a ramp rate of -10-15 in the beginning of my training but I've been doing this for a while. I spent most of last December at -20, I went to a training camp last week and am currently at -57. I'll be a few days to get back to -10.

The middle of a 20 or 24 week plan is always pretty flat. I'm about 10 weeks out from a big race and will likely be no higher (edit: actually lower) than a -10 but mostly near -5 to 0. 3 weeks out I'll probably be 0 to 10 to shed fatigue and then race week I'll probably prime myself and be 0 to -5 going into the races.

Also, IMO 4 weeks is not nearly long enough to establish any base endurance to be ready for specific training but if that's what you have I understand.
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 16, 21 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he’s talking about CTL changes not TSB. I think my legs would fall off carrying -50s tsb :-0

I’m in week 6 of 18 week 80/20 HIM plan. Am Hitting 3-5 ctl change per week. Flat on recovery week. I hit all my workout (TSS) for the past 4 weeks
Last edited by: Old lungs: Mar 16, 21 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good point: ramp rate vs TSB, I overlooked that.

Last week during my camp I jumped from 58 to 76 I'll probably sit around 70 until race week.

In December I went from 47 to 71 then took it easy for a few weeks while racing on the track.

After the race I floated from 60 to 66 for a few weeks before resting for the camp.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your/a typical CTL ramp rate at the midpoint of IM 70.3 training [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For mid-season form and trying to build fitness, I try to consistently hit between 6 and 10 week after week until taper time.

TP will throw a warning at you when you hit a CTL ramp rate of over 10 per week and I think when you use their ATP option and target a certain CTL/fitness, the "worst" weeks go as far as 8. From my experience that feels about right, i.e. over 10 feels like overload.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Mar 16, 21 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my younger road racing days, I could handle 15 or 20 point weekly ramps. I didn't even really think about it much. My legs told me what to do, and if they complained too much I just ignored them. These would be early spring training camps, hard multi day events and things like that. But those were the days of 120-150 CTL. Now that I'm into my 50s recovery is a much bigger deal, so I do more ramp planning and for the most part keep it in the 3-6 range and life is just better.
Quote Reply