Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easily adjustable bike for smart trainer
Quote | Reply
I have a Tacx Neo2 that I've had my trusty old Trek 5200 (circa 2003) permanently mounted to for several years now. Recently, my wife has started riding in Zwift a little bit. I can adjust the saddle height for her pretty easily, but things like bar height, reach etc. are not easily adjusted between us. I've looked at the Tacx Neo bike as one solution, but I'm wondering if there exists a bike (I guesss similar to a bike that's used for custom fitting) that could be mounted to my Tacx trainer that would give us the adjustability that you find on the current Peloton bikes, smart bikes, etc. where we can adjust not just saddle height and setback but also bar height and reach?
Quote Reply
Re: Easily adjustable bike for smart trainer [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this could be something that would be suitable for your needs?

https://tacx.com/product/neo-bike-smart/
Quote Reply
Re: Easily adjustable bike for smart trainer [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've looked at that, and have not ruled it out but was hoping to stick with my current Tacx Neo trainer for a couple of reasons:

1) I already own it and it's working fine

2) I have my current setup mounted on a Saris MP1 motion platform, which I LOVE. It makes 3 hour rides infinitely more tolerable, and there's no real way to get the Tacx smart bike onto the Saris motion platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't really thought this through but do you need to adjust the handle bars or is there way you could swap in an extra handle bar when she rides?

What I mean is you don't actually steer or use the brakes so the handle bars are just somewhere to grip. You just need to figure out how to attach the second set.

Or get both long and short stems. Have them pre-attached to different handle bars and then maybe there is a seat position that works for one of you with the longest stem and her with the shortest. Then you are just doing two bolts each time. You might even find some sort of quick release stem. There could be over 10cm difference between a long bike stem and one of those direct attach MTB stems, throw in spaces quickly if either position needs it.

Maybe start with coordinates and see what the difference is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't adjust reach (other than the fact that reach naturally changes as you change the angle with a fixed length), but you could always toss one of these on whatever bike. Saddles are easy enough to adjust, and reach changes can kind of be simulated by just moving hands.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Easily adjustable bike for smart trainer [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I can give that a try as a band-aid. The reach is the real problem, as the frame (55 or 56cm, don't remember) is just too big for her and the long reach, even with the really short stem I have on there already, is causing my wife a lot of neck and shoulder pain.

As an aside, I've been doing some more research on smart bikes. The Tacx smart bike won't work on the Saris MP1, but the Kickr Bike does look like it would work. Ray (DC Rainmaker) tried it in his review of the MP1 and there are a few other anecdotal reports of folks getting that combination to work even though Saris recommends against it. I'd love to hear from anyone that has mounted a Kickr Bike on an MP1, as that would really give the fit adjustability that I'm looking for.

Worst case I lose the MP1, but I'd rather find a solution that keeps it if possible.
Last edited by: el gato: Mar 13, 21 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How short is your stem and how much further back would she want it ideally?
Quote Reply
Re: Easily adjustable bike for smart trainer [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current stem is 110mm IIRC. She would need it at least 20-30mm shorter than that, and up by about double that. I could probably get in the ballpark with that adjustable stem, but that doesn't really seem like a viable solution long-term for changing the bike over from one position to the other day in and day out.
Quote Reply