Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're warm, that's the only reason I'd wear one.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Only when playing 2-on-2 basketball in Venice Beach

I was going to add "Only if you're the guitar player for Cheap Trick" as well

But I think that might just be a low-profile baseball cap with the brim popped up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dorky as hell. I will never wear one. If it's cold, I'm not riding outside, periiod.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
If I need some warmth I've always used a buff under the helmet.

I've switched from beanie to bLuff in any situation where an ice-cream headache/brain freeze is a possibility

Beanies made my head feel 'itchy'

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing is cool if you care whether or not it's cool.
Let form follow function. Nothing is less cool than actually trying to be cool.

The general public certainly don't consider cyclists, or triathletes, cool. Accept your lot and go one further, don't worry if other cyclists or triathletes think you're cool either. If you don't care, then and only then, are you cool.

To quote Richard Feynman, or maybe it was his wife - "What do you care what other people think?"
Last edited by: Ai_1: Mar 22, 21 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my mom used to use that one, when I would get crippling anxiety about not looking 'right' for the town we lived in [very wealthy, very preppy, and we just couldn't afford the high end clothes, cars, etc. that were the norm]

Later, in high school, when I cut my hair down to spike it up & dyed it orange - looking very much like Johnny Rotten and not caring a fuck what other people thought - she came back with "Why do you always have to be so weird?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, i like them when it's cool outside or raining.

They can also help keep sweat out of your eyes when it's hot, but i prefer not wearing one in the heat and having the extra airflow.

Some caps just don't fit right and have too much bulk on the top. They make me feel a little like the Swedish Chef. Some other caps have bills that aren't symmetrical or just have a kind of weird shape.

I'm not one of those all-in rapha people, but the rapha caps are the best that I've found.

If i used my TT bike a lot i probably wouldn't use a cap. I only wear mine with the bill down, and when it is down and I'm in a low TT position it obstructs my view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, but none of your cycling gear is so I would not let "coolness" be the deciding factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
Personally, i like them when it's cool outside or raining.

They can also help keep sweat out of your eyes when it's hot, but i prefer not wearing one in the heat and having the extra airflow.

Some caps just don't fit right and have too much bulk on the top. They make me feel a little like the Swedish Chef. Some other caps have bills that aren't symmetrical or just have a kind of weird shape.

I'm not one of those all-in rapha people, but the rapha caps are the best that I've found.

If i used my TT bike a lot i probably wouldn't use a cap. I only wear mine with the bill down, and when it is down and I'm in a low TT position it obstructs my view.

Agreed, doesn't work with the TT bike and would definitely look out of place, but great on a road bike except on warm days. On cool or rainy days I like the Walz wool caps, not bulky at all and regulate heat very well. Rapha otherwise.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tongue-in-cheek but heartfelt answer. For men of a certain age, cycling caps are an 80's hip-hop staple, part of the best ad campaign of all time, and afforded just one of many examples of rap's golden era of wordplay:
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear rapha jackets casually and unironically. They look đŸ”¥ off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renault78law wrote:
I wear one regularly. I think it can look cool for training, not racing.
I used to use them in bike racing on wet road - they'd help keep spray out of my eyes.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are great to keep in your jersey pocket to keep the sun off your balding head when enjoying a post ride coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask other people what's cool, you're not cool.

Wear whatever you want. When I see what a lot of the DB's around here wear, I'm not worried about what I look like in any cycling kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vision is really affected by sun glare. Even with sunglasses on, I find I can see much better with the brim of a cap shielding my eyes, so I regularly wear a cycling cap under my helmet.

I also think they look cool. When I'm off the bike and the helmet comes off, the brim gets flipped up.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
They are great to keep in your jersey pocket to keep the sun off your balding head when enjoying a post ride coffee.

You could go with a bandana a la Pantani?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Or something normal under a helmet https://www.castelli-cycling.com/...eadband/p/451604421P [/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

I bought a pair of real Brikos a couple years back. In a Pantani looking style. Wound up being total junk. My best sunglasses have wound up being the junk Ironman branded ones in the clothing section at Target. Go figure. Then again, now I ride a helmet with a visor instead so no need.
Quote Reply

Prev Next