Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High quantity salt pill/tab recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Hey Folks,
I'm one of those freaks that literally sweat 4g of salts per hour (did this with clinicians for a study so it's actually verified). I'm having some trouble finding a salt pill/tab that's closer to 1g per pill so I don't have a mouth full of salt pills on the run the whole time for some of these longer races.
Any salty sweaters have some recommendations?!

Many thanks!
Last edited by: BenKess: Mar 12, 21 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: High quantity salt pill/tab recommendations? [BenKess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salt Sticks always worked for me. Those little strap on dispensers they have come in handy on the bike. Unfortunately they do also break easily...

On the run I use small ziploc bags

And I should say I am a massively salty sweater
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 12, 21 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: High quantity salt pill/tab recommendations? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Salt sticks seem to be the highest option I've found with NaCl levels of 500mg per capsule. It's about 8 an hour for me so I have to bring around 15 capsules for a 70.3. Not the worst option but it would be great to count less of those if possible. Zip lock is a great idea. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that it was a good idea to get a bit ahead of my salt needs on the bike so that on the run, I could just maintain. I'd even set my watch to beep at regular intervals to ensure I didn't forget.

Also I think somewhere on these forums/this board there are plenty of descriptions from Jordan Rapp about his salt strategy. Good reading
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 12, 21 19:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a super salty sweater.

Check out LMNT. 1G per packet, super tasty and the taste grows on you. It's the best sports drink I've ever tried - and I'm old.

I dig Salt Stick, too.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: High quantity salt pill/tab recommendations? [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmy,

I know you've been around a while so I respect your suggestions. I have read most all of the information available on the LMNT website. I have a concern, though......does LMNT have calories. If not, that's a huge problem. If you have to combine LMNT with a fuel source, then I think that is an unnecessarily complicated nutrition strategy. Thoughts?

Thanks
japarker24

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heavy sweater here too. BASE Salt and Salt Stick have always worked well for me.
Last edited by: FFigawi: Mar 12, 21 22:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salt Stick from another salty sweater...which is really bad when you dark skin and you have white streaks on you. I prefer to use the 10 pill packets when racing that should last 1-2.5 hours (2 pills every 20-30 minutes). If you are out on the course for awhile bring a few of those and youre good. Good luck!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A full tube of base salt has ~16g of salt (I just measured). I carry one each on the bike and run, though I often lose the one on the bike while pulling out other stuff from my bento, have to be careful. Also, Maurten has a fair bit more salt than Gatorade endurance, so I use that to start.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: High quantity salt pill/tab recommendations? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I use Base Salt (so maybe I'll fill a tube and bring it along!). Purchased the Maurten trial sample pack so am excited for that. My biggest concern is the run. On the bike I can slt up the fluids pretty well. I'm just trying my best to avoid having to chug 25-30 pills on the run :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKess wrote:
Thank you! I use Base Salt (so maybe I'll fill a tube and bring it along!). Purchased the Maurten trial sample pack so am excited for that. My biggest concern is the run. On the bike I can slt up the fluids pretty well. I'm just trying my best to avoid having to chug 25-30 pills on the run :)

I'm usually just eating salt on the run. At all of my Ironmans, base salt has been there handing out the tubes, but I don't know if that's guaranteed. I bought a race belt with a pouch so I could carry it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply