Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
try their Fruit Sour with Marshmallow

It might be delicious, but that's not beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Tri78910] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri78910 wrote:
The bike had a 300 ft gravel section and 12.5% inclines.

Was the gravel intentional or unavoidable? Was the steep part the same as the gravel section? Seems crazy to me to include a stretch like that in an otherwise on-road triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sours aren’t beer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Tri78910 wrote:
The bike had a 300 ft gravel section and 12.5% inclines.

Was the gravel intentional or unavoidable? Was the steep part the same as the gravel section? Seems crazy to me to include a stretch like that in an otherwise on-road triathlon.

The gravel was a filled in construction site that was unavoidable. It was also on a bit of a decline so you were moving pretty quick even pumping the brakes.

The steep part was not the gravel section but the road surface there was not good. I suspect there was a lot of walking up the hill.

The only bike course I’ve done that was harder was Savageman. I am not a NASCAR guy so I had no idea just how big the hills could be on a road course.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Actually I spend 20-25 days a year on Lake Seneca
Hijack alert………

I grew up in the Finger Lakes region. It was always “Seneca Lake” (“Keuka Lake”, etc) as opposed to “Lake Seneca”, etc. Maybe it’s changed? (Or I’ve always been wrong.)

This gets into the cool kids saying, “I drove up PCH”, never “I drove up the PCH”, but it did make me wonder.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to point that out too, lived here 52 years, have never heard someone local or seasonal say Lake Seneca (or Lake Anything for any of the FLX)

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asa said before it was unavoidable construction. also was 5-10 cuts in the road of gravel that they put narrow rubber matts over that caused bottle to launch left and right haha.

Also I would not want to have ridden 15 loops of WK track on my bike... it has 400+ feet of elevation be loop (3.2ish miles) so that would have been over 6000 ft of climbing in a race... hell no
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just habit. I live on Lake Erie and near Lake Medina. Just becomes habit to put things in that order. But yes, I believe the locals say xxxx Lake in that area
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Tri78910] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri78910 wrote:
As a racer I'm curious as to what the dnf rate was as WK. The course was fucking insanely hard. My wife saw 5 athletes pulled from the water before hitting the half way point.

Starky failed to break 2 hrs on a 50 mile course? The bike had a 300 ft gravel section and 12.5% inclines. Net elevation change was over 1500 ft. Total climbing I er 3300. Made the old rev 3 quassy look like a walk in the park. My 57 mile bike split at NC last year was 4 minutes faster than my 50 mile bike at WK.

Overall it was a good race but they have some kinks to work out with it still and the logistics

Best race summary right here ^^^^

I also raced WG. Swim was brutal 1-1.5 ft waves. Bike course was brutal with 3300 ft elev + that 12.5% climb at mile 35.5. Run was brutal with 900 ft elev over 10 mi & 85F.

But ... the sense of accomplishment that everyone felt when they finished was incredible. I've never participated in a race that was this hard and probably never will. If you listen to the pro reaction it was similar - "Unlike any other triathlon", "Like triathlon used to be", "Hard and what the location gave you as far as the course." The pro field was small no doubt but at least Clash was willing to put up $10K for any pro field which is more than took place at Musselman.

In true Slowtwitch fashion, the race gets panned for attendance instead of praised for trying to do something different. The race date was NOT selected to compete against Musselman, it was selected because the Finger Lakes Wine Festival was happening and the race ended 'into' the festival. Also, there were Historic Formula 1 races over the weekend. Clash is trying to make weekend/festival/race experiences for the whole family. Are Daytona & Miami more mature races? Yes. Did this one have some kinks to work out? Yes. Weather (high winds) and unexpected construction did cause challenges but without either it would have been fine.

This was a refreshing change to the same old time trial bike course and flat run.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is panning the race itself, but a new race series that is trying to be competitive with the likes of Ironman getting fewer than 100 people to sign up is a flat out financial disaster for the organizers. No other way to describe it.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea not sure why Clash struggled so much to get people - the events and experience around the race we awesome for the family - maybe should have undercut ironman pricing a bit more to draw in racers the first year?

also i think Watts and Starky summed up the course well
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf4gia0vRqs/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf4nCUlu-dr/
Last edited by: Tri78910: Jul 12, 22 10:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next