Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 bikes, one trainer (10 vs 11 speed)
Quote | Reply
I've been training with my P2 on a Tacx flux trainer and since it's freaking old it's a 10 speed cassette.

I've decided that I also need to stick my road bike on (2019 Cervelo R3) which is an 11 speed.

Anyone else had this issue and besides having to cassettes are there any other options? The 11 speed bike seems to shift ok on the 10 speed cassette but I'm not sure if that's healthy for the bike.

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: 2 bikes, one trainer (10 vs 11 speed) [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 11 speed chains are narrower than the 10 speed chains so I don't think there should be any issue with using the R3 with the old cassette. and as long as your RD is indexing fine, then I don't think there is any risk of harming it either. I'm not mechanic though, so some others that chime in may have more information that might indicate otherwise

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Mar 11, 21 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2 bikes, one trainer (10 vs 11 speed) [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
The 11 speed chains are narrower than the 10 speed chains so I don't think there should be any issue with using the R3 with the old cassette. and as long as your RD is indexing fine, then I don't think there is any risk of harming it either. I'm not mechanic though, so some others that chime in may have more information that might indicate otherwise

Thx for the chain insight, dang I was going to grab one of my old waxed chains, thanks for the heads up on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
I've been training with my P2 on a Tacx flux trainer and since it's freaking old it's a 10 speed cassette.

I've decided that I also need to stick my road bike on (2019 Cervelo R3) which is an 11 speed.

Anyone else had this issue and besides having to cassettes are there any other options? The 11 speed bike seems to shift ok on the 10 speed cassette but I'm not sure if that's healthy for the bike.

Thx

Just to be clear; you want to use a bike with 11 speed shifters on the trainer which is equipped with a 10 speed cassette?

If that's the case the shifting will not be perfect (and may be poor) as the 11 speed shifter pulls the derailleur a different amount than a 10 speed.

That being said I've run my trainer bike (10 speed) on my kickr (11 speed cassette) for almost three years. The shifting is not great but I ride almost exclusively in ERG mode.

As stated above 11spd chain on 10spd cassette is ok (IME).
Last edited by: JStirfry: Mar 11, 21 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2 bikes, one trainer (10 vs 11 speed) [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
slower wrote:

Thx

Just to be clear; you want to use a bike with 11 speed shifters on the trainer which is equipped with a 10 speed cassette?

If that's the case the shifting will not be perfect (and may be poor) as the 11 speed shifter pulls the derailleur a different amount than a 10 speed.

That being said I've run my trainer bike (10 speed) on my kickr (11 speed cassette) for almost three years. The shifting is not great but I ride almost exclusively in ERG mode.

That's the question, I'm mostly ERG as well so I think I'm ok. Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
JStirfry wrote:
slower wrote:

Thx

That's the question, I'm mostly ERG as well so I think I'm ok. Thx

You’ll be just fine. My H1 is set up as 11 speed and my road bike is 10 speed. I just choose the gear that gives as straight as possible of a chain line and don’t ever shift and only run ERG with it.

If you do that it’ll be fine.
Quote Reply