Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zip 404 issues
Quote | Reply
I got a set of used 404’s with the 77/177 hubs and am having issues with the rear hub. I was aware of the extent of their use when I got them (hence the really good price), so I recently got a new free hub body and new bearings installed, but the wheel still seems to be “sticking” for lack of a better term. When I spin my 808 next to it, the difference is how they spin is enormous. The 404 comes to a stop very quickly no matter how hard I spin it. I’m not sure what else to do, but I feel like something is not right with this hub. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Zip 404 issues [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you taken it apart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonAg wrote:
I got a set of used 404’s with the 77/177 hubs and am having issues with the rear hub. I was aware of the extent of their use when I got them (hence the really good price), so I recently got a new free hub body and new bearings installed, but the wheel still seems to be “sticking” for lack of a better term. When I spin my 808 next to it, the difference is how they spin is enormous. The 404 comes to a stop very quickly no matter how hard I spin it. I’m not sure what else to do, but I feel like something is not right with this hub. Any suggestions?

You should verify the thin shim washer is installed behind the freehub (between freehub and hub bearing).
Quote Reply
Re: Zip 404 issues [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly why I asked if they had taken it apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of early carbon clinchers, not sure what hub. When I say old, i'm talking circa 2012-13. I recently had the bike in for a service and the house mechanic told me that Zipp had recalled the hubs in my wheels for some safety issue and they'd replace them free of charge. The wheels are currently out to Zipp for the new hubs. Not sure if yours are carbon clinchers, but if so, you might check to see if they're part of the recall.
Last edited by: nycbiker: Mar 11, 21 18:52
Quote Reply