Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race
Quote | Reply
Before any 70.3, ultra, or marathon the 2-3 days leading into the race I normally drink a bottle of Pedalyte (bottle is 3 servings) each day. I drink the Pedalyte to prevent cramps.

Does anyone have a cheaper liquid alternative?

Or any other anti cramp suggestions?

I’m just looking for something new!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [Taggart_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taggart_ wrote:
Before any 70.3, ultra, or marathon the 2-3 days leading into the race I normally drink a bottle of Pedalyte (bottle is 3 servings) each day. I drink the Pedalyte to prevent cramps.

Does anyone have a cheaper liquid alternative?

Or any other anti cramp suggestions?

I’m just looking for something new!

Thanks

Are you trying to sodium load? You could just add salt to your meals or drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a thread on here about creating an “at-home maurten “ drink. I just picked up the ingredients to make mine and am going to test run it this week ahead of an upcoming Gran Fondo this week in each of my sessions. (I’ve been using something very similar off the shelf, so it won’t be too different). Will help me stay ahead on sodium intake as I tend to cramp on long rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
There’s a thread on here about creating an “at-home maurten “ drink. I just picked up the ingredients to make mine and am going to test run it this week ahead of an upcoming Gran Fondo this week in each of my sessions. (I’ve been using something very similar off the shelf, so it won’t be too different). Will help me stay ahead on sodium intake as I tend to cramp on long rides.

Yes I have been using that recipe for training rides. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [Taggart_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water...

Pedialyte is good too. But you're simply hydrating. Drink enough water and you will be fine. You can't really store extra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedialyte but the generic kind and after you empty one bottle you dump half of a fresh one in the old one and then dilute with water. I drink a lot on race weeks and that keeps my consumption cheaper while still not just overloading on water.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade is the cheaper, more readily available substitute. Tons of flavors and reduced/zero cal options.

Personally, I'd stick with Pedialite. The cost is minimal compared to a major race, and if it's working for you....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink a lot of gatorade zero leading into a IM or 70.3 competition. And a day or two before I will drink a quart with gatorlytes added to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Drink enough water and you will be fine. You can't really store extra
You might be able to by adding sodium.

Key to OP: don't let sodium intake drop the night before, or night of, or morning of, or day of, or during your race. Otherwise you might just pee out all that sodium you consumed, along with the water.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best sports drink 3 days out from a long endurance race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Pedialyte but the generic kind and after you empty one bottle you dump half of a fresh one in the old one and then dilute with water. I drink a lot on race weeks and that keeps my consumption cheaper while still not just overloading on water.
I wouldn't do the dilution thing. You'll hold more of the fluid in increased blood volume if you keep the sodium levels higher by drinking it straight with no dilution

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See PDF on this page: https://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm#:~:text=Ingredients%3A,each%20cup%20about%20200%20ml.)

Cheap and easy. Can add more sugar if carb loading. Probably can do more sodium per liter (close to maybe double) if using Sodium Citrate

Using sodium citrate in place of table salt allows your gut to tolerate more sodium consumption during training. Sodium citrate has 3 sodium molecules for every 1 citrate molecule. Sodium chloride has 1 sodium molecule for every 1 chloride molecule. That means that for the same amount of sodium consumption, there will be a greater number of molecules ingested, if using table salt, rather than sodium citrate. Osmolarity is the number of molecules per unit volume of solution. Our gastrointestinal tracts are sensitive to very high osmolarity solutions. During normal daily living, consumption of very high osmolar solutions (lots of molecules per liter) causes a laxative effect 20-60 minutes after consumption. During exercise, it causes gut cramping, THEN a laxative effect. My personal experience with this can be described as "not fun!"

FYI: Sodium Citrate has about 1000mg sodium per tsp. Table salt is about 2000mg sodium per tsp.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just eat and drink normally before a race. You can't store excess salt nor excess water. We have organs that regulate those and keep us in equilibrium. Just stay on your normal equilibrium
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H2O...and it’s cheap to boot.
Quote Reply