Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ali vs Frazier
Quote | Reply
It's been 50 years since Ali vs Frazier 1, March 8th, 1971. It's still the best heavyweight bout I've ever seen. It was the Fight of the Century. It was a Rocky movie in real life. I saw the ESPN Presents episode commemorating the fight and watched the whole fight again, and it was worth watching. It was interesting to see the score cards. Frazier had it won before the knockdown in the 15th round, but it sealed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The singular apex moment of a sport in decline since.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ali-Frazier myth has grown over the years

Ali never beat Frazier for the World Title: Frazier retained the title in #1, neither owned the title in #2, Ali retained the tile in the Thrilla in Manila

I'll bet people think "Down goes Frazier!!! Down goes Frazier!!!" occurred in one of the Ali fights [it was Foreman who knocked Frazier out, to Cosell's astonishment]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frazier's left hook was a thing of beauty. Hard to believe something could be so vicious and yet so sublime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys were so good back then, Foreman and Ken Norton as well in the heavyweight division. Late 70s through the 80s had all the great middleweights like Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran, Arguello and then of course Tyson dominated the heavyweights in the late 80s. I lost interest in it after then although the Ward-Gatti trilogy briefly brought me back (especially with Ward being local). I don’t think I’ve watchedmboxing since except for rewatching some of the classic older bouts.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Ali never beat Frazier for the World Title: Frazier retained the title in #1, neither owned the title in #2, Ali retained the tile in the Thrilla in Manila

I'll bet people think "Down goes Frazier!!! Down goes Frazier!!!" occurred in one of the Ali fights [it was Foreman who knocked Frazier out, to Cosell's astonishment]

I didn't know that there was an Ali-Frazier myth and that it is growing.

These are just basic facts that you list off that even the casual boxing fan would know.
Last edited by: zed707: Mar 8, 21 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I don’t think I’ve watched boxing since except for rewatching some of the classic older bouts.

It's all about MMA/UFC now

Lloyd Dobler was right, back in 1989; kickboxing WAS the sport of the future

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
I don’t think I’ve watched boxing since except for rewatching some of the classic older bouts.

“He got ditched in the Malibu, doesn’t know what to do. Lloyd, Lloyd all null and void!”

I absolutely love that movie, one of my all-time favorites.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

He was close. Pure kickboxing never really took off, but MMA certainly seems to have.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I know what I will be doing for the next hour.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Well I know what I will be doing for the next hour.

Thanks for posting the video. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

These are just basic facts that you list off that even the casual boxing fan would know.

I, too, know nothing of a myth. Ali-Frazier might be the greatest sports rivalry of my lifetime.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myth was the wrong word, sorry

What's the word for something that gets bigger over time, and retold over generations? I meant to use that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
The singular apex moment of a sport in decline since.

Clearly you are unaware of Balboa v. Thunderlips.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly, as I had to look that reference up on my google machine. I had the Balboa reference, but Thunderlips?? I thought the original Rocky movie to be good but I didn't continue into the series. Has the grandson of Rocky I made it to the silver screen yet? Or is the Hulk Hogan dead yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Milo Ventimiglia [This Is Us, The Art of Racing In The Rain] appears as Robert Balboa, Jr. in Rocky Balboa and Creed II

Robert has not followed in the family business, leaving that role to Adonis Johnson [Apollo's son], which has caused a rift between father & son

As far as Rocky's grandson? Spoilers - you'll have to watch Creed II

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Milo Ventimiglia [This Is Us, The Art of Racing In The Rain] appears as Robert Balboa, Jr. in Rocky Balboa and Creed II

Robert has not followed in the family business, leaving that role to Adonis Johnson [Apollo's son], which has caused a rift between father & son

As far as Rocky's grandson? Spoilers - you'll have to watch Creed II

You are joking right? Grandson sequels? YGTBSM. Oh in response to your" myth" misnomer that you maybe a walked back. With the entire world as their stage the Ali v Frazier rivalry still sits atop.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali vs Frazier [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
zed707 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I, too, know nothing of a myth. Ali-Frazier might be the greatest sports rivalry of my lifetime.

I'm looking at their wiki pages right now. I find it interesting how long it took for Frazier to get a title shot. When he fought Ali, he was, I think, 27-0. For all intents and purposes, I'd say the day before he fought George Foreman, he might have been the greatest boxer of all time.

Ultimately, his record was 32-2 before his end of career losses. Ali was 55-2 before his.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply