Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
...... Even his kit is boring looking Ryzon. White, navy and red. Looks sharp but very dull. .......l

Please explain to me how his kit can be "sharp but very dull" at the same time.......

Something can be refined and lack character.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Whilst asking basic Qs.

What time do the M and F pro races actually start (and time zone?

As with Daytona, the web site is pretty naff to find such crucial bits of info.

hear hear. i loved the coverage and the idea of the race in general, and am glad they're offering options that are accessible to pros. BUT . . . it's been hard finding basic info.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Agree 100%. Pretty terrible in this respect. Challenge North America and Ironman must be using the same contractor to build and maintain websites.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Approx eastern time US

Women 1pm
Men 3pm

Or do i have that backwards?

Thanks V much.
That's perfect timing for me in Blighty (5 hrs ahead of EST)
This evening's turbo session sorted.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Agree 100%. Pretty terrible in this respect. Challenge North America and Ironman must be using the same contractor to build and maintain websites.

I whinge about this as I like Challenge as an organiser, and want PTO to succeed too. Their lead up and coverage to Daytona was great. But some little things made it really hard to find basic details (or for Daytona to sign up / donate / watch)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take exception to this. You can certainly judge somebody's content. However, unless you know someone personally, I don't think you can reasonably judge their personality through social media.

It isn't a requirement to be completely open on social media and I respect people that value their privacy and take a lighter touch approach whilst recognising its a 'must' to be in the game.

To my mind, people like Jan are ultimately taking the approach to social media that I suspect lots of us would take in his position as private individuals who don't need to bare every facet of our life and personality online.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Lionel and the content he & Talbot put out, for its entertainment value, but as a "professional athlete" he is just clueless... Take the following example (compared to Jan) from the latest set of race week videos.

2 days before race day (Wed):
  • Jan - has travel issues, arrives late Tue from Europe. Get's up pre-dawn, presumably builds his bike and gets out to do a bike course recce in the earliest possible timeslot at sunrise when it's quiet. Done by 6:30am and outa there.
  • Lionel - no travel issues, but decides to sleep in til 11 (cos, you know, he came from somewhere 2 hours behind and he usually only gets up after 10am...). Misses the bike early practice slot so has to go later, when its then raining. Can only ride the oval part of the course as the inner section was closed (which he knew would be the case). Nevertheless then proclaims to know the race strategy and who will contend based on, what, not riding any of the technical turns...?

Goes for swim at 5:30pm.

Then decides to go do an 8-9km run (around a parking lot) ...after his pizza dinner (no complaint there!) - starting after 8pm because he's still awake... and knowing full well he has to get up super early the next day so that he can make the early practice session and actually ride the full course once before race day...

I mean, it's just face palm stuff. Pretty sure all that is not in the race prep "worksheet" he had to fill out and send to his coach...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that's right, although the Challenge Miami Facebook page has a few different times listed.

I think their coverage starts at 12:30 pm EST
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
I love Lionel and the content he & Talbot put out, for its entertainment value, but as a "professional athlete" he is just clueless... Take the following example (compared to Jan) from the latest set of race week videos.

• Jan - has travel issues, arrives late Tue from Europe. Get's up pre-dawn, presumably builds his bike and gets out to do a bike course recce in the earliest possible timeslot at sunrise when it's quiet. Done by 6:30am and outa there.
  • Lionel - no travel issues, but decides to sleep in til 11 (cos, you know, he came from somewhere 2 hours behind and he usually only gets up after 10am...). Misses the bike early practice slot so has to go later, when its then raining. Can only ride the oval part of the course as the inner section was closed (which he knew would be the case). Nevertheless then proclaims to know the race strategy and who will contend based on, what, not riding any of the technical turns...?

Then decides to go do an 8-9km run (around a parking lot) ...after his pizza dinner (no complaint there!) - starting after 8pm because he's still awake... and knowing full well he has to get up super early the next day so that he can make the early practice session and actually ride the full course once before race day...

I mean, it's just face palm stuff. Pretty sure all that is not in the race prep "worksheet" he had to fill out and send to his coach...

yeah, it's a hell of a contrast, isn't it?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, Jan probably went for a swim and a run as well, it just wasn't documented in a youtube video.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
SAvan wrote:

You want contrast then check out the Pro Press Briefing....In the back if your mind when you watch this remember what Jan has done in his career compared to Lionel and just listen and watch Jan's expression....Jan and Lionel at 29:39.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [Yosa125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yosa125 wrote:
To be fair, Jan probably went for a swim and a run as well, it just wasn't documented in a youtube video.

Jan most certainly would have done a swim and run too. Just not at 9pm at night. Pretty sure he would have finished all his sessions before 11am, then be doing his media obligations and recovering the rest of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that - very interesting watching the body language there!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to watching how it plays out. They are perfect foils for each other - the consumate professional in Jan vs. the engine and scatterbrains of Sanders.
Couldn't script characters better if this were a movie. Should be brilliant.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:
lyla wrote:
The fervor and devotion of the LS fanboys is absurdly entertaining and humbling. The dissecting of his videos and long winded word salads does take true fanaticism. And yes, let’s trump all arguments by bringing in the most concretely subjective thing ever, talent! Only in long course triathlon and with the advent of the internet would an athlete like Sanders rise to this worship. You do not get to rival ITU athletes by thinking your mimicking their training progressions sustaining power or pace over a handful of months. The best short course athletes are genetic freaks and for some of them it can extend into long course.
The content making, the back asswards thinking and the fandom all go hand in hand I guess. But he had as much talent as the Olympic triathlon gold medalist and Kona record holder.

Triggered much sweetie? I see you broke out the thesaurus for your little rant there.

You may not agree with Lyla's post, but was there any need to talk down to this poster and call the poster "sweetie" and close with "little rant". Firstly you may not know who the poster is, secondly, would it not be better to discuss the content and message of the post than pull out a random talk down? If the poster is indeed a woman, then no wonder women participate in this forum as much as they do (or don't).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:

Noted. I'm interested to see how the Europeans like Jan do with a 3:15pm ET start time......that's 9:15pm Girona Spain time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:

Has it occurred to you that Lionel may not be completely straight with us there? A pro athlete getting up after 10 day in day out yet managing to train with a swim group? And, like, be a pro athlete? Do you believe the run times he posts, the workouts he does AND sleeping in every day?
Don’t you think it might be perfectly rational for this social media figure to present himself as spontaneous, undisciplined, amateurish even, yet heroic - while doing what the coach says and leading a normal pro life? We love him don’t we?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Mar 12, 21 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:

Sleep is incredibly important and maybe for him, flying in relatively late, getting a full nights sleep is more important than seeing the course early in the morning. With the late start time there's really no need to adapt to an early morning routine before the race either and maybe being on his schedule is even a little easier for an afternoon start. Doing a workout as late as he did is maybe not necessary but probably in no way detrimental. People have different sleeping needs and habits and one does not necessarily has to be better than the other.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Mar 12, 21 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
SAvan wrote:

Has it occurred to you that Lionel may not be completely straight with us there? A pro athlete getting up after 10 day in day out yet managing to train with a swim group? And, like, be a pro athlete? Do you believe the run times he posts, the workouts he does AND sleeping in every day?
Don’t you think it might be perfectly rational for this social media figure to present himself as spontaneous, undisciplined, amateurish even, yet heroic - while doing what the coach says and leading a normal pro life? We love him don’t we?

I get that the idea that he isn't being forward with us. But he's always said he hates getting up and is a night owl. He is holding himself accountable with the Form goggles app which holds a lot of insight for a bunch of pros (highly recommend) and it's funny but...he's being honest. The video was from Wednesday - and if you look at the Form app - he always swims Wed afternoons, so presumably not with the group. He's not lying at all in this case. Bjorn mentions sleep too - Lionel and Erin don't have kids - they are on a different schedule than a dad of two, and all Lionel needs to do is eat, sleep and train. Plus - running at 8 pm gets you out of the heat a little bit - he's a genius! HAHA!

I love this stuff...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
SAvan wrote:

You want contrast then check out the Pro Press Briefing....In the back if your mind when you watch this remember what Jan has done in his career compared to Lionel and just listen and watch Jan's expression....Jan and Lionel at 29:39.

Ha ha ha Jan is trying not to laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

I get that the idea that he isn't being forward with us. But he's always said he hates getting up and is a night owl. He is holding himself accountable with the Form goggles app which holds a lot of insight for a bunch of pros (highly recommend) and it's funny but...he's being honest. The video was from Wednesday - and if you look at the Form app - he always swims Wed afternoons, so presumably not with the group. He's not lying at all in this case. Bjorn mentions sleep too - Lionel and Erin don't have kids - they are on a different schedule than a dad of two, and all Lionel needs to do is eat, sleep and train. Plus - running at 8 pm gets you out of the heat a little bit - he's a genius! HAHA!

I love this stuff...[/quote]

The golden rule every coach tells their age group athlete - nothing new on race day/week. This may just be his schedule. Plus its two days before the race, no reason a 10-11p bedtime should hinder his race.
I have a feeling that while Talbot was editing this video, he was looking forward to exactly these "backseat driving" comments that set this forum in a tizzy.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
SAvan wrote:

Ha ha ha Jan is trying not to laugh.

My gawd the interviewer was terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodeno's expressions were great. I enjoy seeing the contrast in their personalities.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Keep an eye on Alissa Doehla, I suspect she might surprise some folks above and beyond her performance in Daytona, of course I might be a bit biased.

This looks to be a good call at this stage of the race! (Lap 13 on the bike)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami-Is Jan Frodeno OUT?????? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected to my statement above it was not challenge or nascars fault. In fact they're the ones who were able to get him into the country. There was an NHL player who came into the US which resulted Pro athletes not being able to enter the country Starting March 3. The law was changed for Pro athletes. Bill Christy and his legal team were able to get all the way to D.C. to get Jan approved to come over. Hats off to them because without that we would of not seen such an incredible performance!

The Challenge North America Family is going to new heights with triathlon in America. Only the start
Quote Reply

Prev Next