Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST on course for 100K registered users?
Quote | Reply
Always look at the number when logging in... seems ST has hovered in the 90Ks for quite sometime... but inching up to around 97K now. (I don't think it's ever gone over the 100K threshold, but I may be wrong).

What's it gonna take to get it there?
Quote Reply
Re: ST on course for 100K registered users? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing to come back, us to continue putting good content on the front page and here in the forum, and for us all to be a touch more welcoming to newcomers around here.

We'll get there...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: ST on course for 100K registered users? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Racing to come back, us to continue putting good content on the front page and here in the forum, and for us all to be a touch more welcoming to newcomers around here. We'll get there...

I'm not sure that this metric has that much meaning though, since regular posters come and go over the years. Whenever someone "resurrects" an old thread from say 2011, what I will always notice is that roughly 80% or more of the posters on that thread haven't posted in 5 or more years. ST has a very high turnover rate in terms of regular posters, which mirrors the sport of triathlon. Of the 100s of guys/girls I known to do a few triathlons, only maybe 5 or 6 of us are still swimming, biking, and running. Triathlon, simply by its nature, has a very high burnout rate. I think a more meaningful statistic would be the number of unique posters posting at least twice a month over the past 12 months; this would probably end up being a rolling average as people would fall on and off of the list.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ST on course for 100K registered users? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, it has a relevance to me ;-)

yes, we have a high turnover rate. however, we also have a high rate of recidivism on this forum, which reflects triathlon. not that many people retire from triathlon. they just think they retire. we have a lot of folks unretire from both triathlon and from this forum.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST on course for 100K registered users? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
well, it has a relevance to me ;-)

yes, we have a high turnover rate. however, we also have a high rate of recidivism on this forum, which reflects triathlon. not that many people retire from triathlon. they just think they retire. we have a lot of folks unretire from both triathlon and from this forum.

IME, a few people come back to tri but, as they get older, the vast majority gain weight, get injured, and can't/don't want to run anymore. They never liked swimming to start with so the one thing they might keep doing is the bike; however, even that becomes less attractive as they get older and see more guys getting seriously hurt, which tends to put a damper on cycling enthusiasm. I haven't been in the sport quite as long as you have but I have been in since 1986 so I do have some years of experience in this game. Also, I live in the southeast where people tend to be fatter than in California, so that may be part of the diff in our viewpoints. In any case, always a pleasure to get some insight from The Man himself. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ST on course for 100K registered users? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have vague memories as a poster on the original forum. Can't remember my username back then.

Doing less triathlon these days, but still manage to do one at least once a year.
Good thing there are plenty of people here that post on my other sports like nordic skiing, gravel and road cycling, kayaking, etc.
Quote Reply