Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using 22mm diametre extension with 22.2mm clamps ??? Anyone tried this?
Quote | Reply
Hello.

I made the dumbest thing ever... purchased 22mm Hed corsair extensions though my bike is Felt IA (22.2mm) ...
So I searched for how to spare it and not to list it on Ebay..

Those are what I found.

1. Using soda cans as 0.1mm shims for they are exactly 0.1mm.

2. Using sandpaper as shim

All 2 methods seem to have been used for soooo long time by classic cycle riders(bike lovers who love 90s mavic, quill stems.. etc)

Has anyone tried them?
If someone did, please share your experience.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Using 22mm diametre extension with 22.2mm clamps ??? Anyone tried this? [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
Hello.

I made the dumbest thing ever... purchased 22mm Hed corsair extensions though my bike is Felt IA (22.2mm) ...
So I searched for how to spare it and not to list it on Ebay..

Those are what I found.

1. Using soda cans as 0.1mm shims for they are exactly 0.1mm.

2. Using sandpaper as shim

All 2 methods seem to have been used for soooo long time by classic cycle riders(bike lovers who love 90s mavic, quill stems.. etc)

Has anyone tried them?
If someone did, please share your experience.

I had sandpaper available but it seemed too thick for something I did with this one time. Instead, I had some super thin hvac insulation tape (not duct tape) around. I would wrap a layer and test fit, then repeat. I would also while test fitting use a little wedge to open up the pole clamp just a hair wider to not booger the tape or shim as it goes in.

This worked. For some reason my Aerocoach extensions were loosey goosey in my open mold PDQ pole clamps.

Mind you that depending on the pole clamp design you can see the shim you use. So if you're OCD in any manner the more time you spend on prep the better it will look. As in if you paint the shim to color match OR buy same color super thin tape.

I didn't care. So you can slightly see the silver tape.

With other pole clamps in the past that were matching sizes without need of tape or shims still had issues with them rotating in the clamps time to time. I would probably do something on even a normal set if I had that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Using 22mm diametre extension with 22.2mm clamps ??? Anyone tried this? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I will also try that method If soda can fails for It is hard to get Hvac tape around me right now.
And how's your aerocoach extensions? Do you like them? I always wanted to try them but the price is so frightening to me.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Using 22mm diametre extension with 22.2mm clamps ??? Anyone tried this? [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the affordable ones that used to be alloy but are now made in carbon and still pretty affordable. They are oval between where it clamps and where the grips are. You use a tilt block on your pads and these get you the same ergo position as the fancy $1000+ extensions but for a much better price point.

Love them. Same exact fit position but done at $800+ less price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I few weeks ago i used a soda can as a shim for my Exploro seatpost. It hasn't slid since then.

My only regret - I used a green can (Lime Bubly) instead of something that would match the colors of my bike. The can is ever-so-slightly visible so i wish i would have went with a red coke can.
Quote Reply