Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Platforms can allow all bike sizes, from 20" mtb and up to fatbikes, but some hangers need adapters. I've a Thule 2 bike platform and looking to get a 4 bike hanging with adapter for family outings!
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1up and use it for up to 4 bikes. The modularity is great, and I even modified 2 of the trays to attach to my roof rack. Also it touches nothing but the tires so no worries about the bikes. It will never wear out. Fairly easy to lock the bikes and rack to the truck.

The downside is that it is heavy. I think the 4 bike setup is like 80 pounds by itself, which fully loaded is too much to hang off the back of my travel trailer (which is why I put 2 bikes on the roof in that case). It also has no reasonable way to access the rear hatch when loaded. It does have a "drop down" setting that you could use if you really had to, but you better have someone strong with you to lower and lift the rack while you contort your arm through the bikes to try to reach the catch.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're transporting carbon bikes at all, make sure you use a platform rack, and that the anchor that holds the bike to the rack does not put pressure through the frame, or it likely voids any warranties on the bike. This means that the platform rack needs the bar/arm securing the bike to be of the type that holds the bike down over the wheels.

I've used the hanging style in the past, with a carbon bike with no issues, but if you're worried about warranties or paint chips, I would not recommend that approach.

I've head great things with Swagman racks, especially for carbon bikes (they identify which ones are carbon safe and generally warranty friendly on their site).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 up usa racks are amazing and love my equip d
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more 1-Up fan here. Pros to me are the single tray option since I use it solo most often, but can add more trays as needed; folds away in a sturdy box for storage instead of this oddly-shaped monstrosity taking up way more space in the garage; and only contact point w/ the bike is the tires so it's as gentle on the frame as possible.

Cons are the high initial cost (though that sting fades over time, and doesn't seem as bad if you think of it as being an extension of the investment you've already made in your bikes and helping to keep them secure vs just its own separate piece of 'furniture'), and it won't work very well w/ a commuter or touring bike that has fenders since those get in the way of the arms that grip the tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The initial cost is tough on top tier bike racks, but I think it's completely worthwhile. I have a Kuat with 4 trays that I absolutely love, the only complaint is tailgate access and the weight as it's too heavy for my wife to put on the truck, but that's a small price to pay for piece of mind as we routinely have an asinine amount of value in bikes on the it. I've heard nothing but good things about 1-Up and would have gone that route if I could find a local vendor just to keep any contact off my wheels, but I haven't had issues of rub with the tire strap on loosely (it's a fail safe anyway) and a microfiber towel under it.

My vote is platform if you have a nice bike (or bikes). If it's for your beater mountain bike from the 90s to haul behind your RV, then go for the hanger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1UP, look at how low-profile it is when it's folded up and not in use.

Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
1UP, look at how low-profile it is when it's folded up and not in use.

Exactly why I love mine. I drive a Mini Cooper, I don't want it to be dwarfed by the rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that Floyd Landis or his doppelganger? for https://www.velocirax.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Thule T2 Pro with the 2 bike add on. I love how sturdy the rack is, but it's pretty heavy to move around.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Egn85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at the Yakima Hold Up rack. I don't have the budget for a 1up, I need a four bike rack and the 1up is too much $$$ for a four bike unit.

Has anyone use the wheel hook style rack like the Yakima Hold Up/Kuat/Thule T2 and used the wheel hook on the rear wheel instead of the front wheel? The problem is that I have a disc rear wheel and I can't put the wheel tray strap through it. If these types of racks worked with the hook on the rear wheel, then I could put the wheel strap around the spoked front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I love my Kuat tray style, it is a 3-up. Super sturdy.

Deal is with nice bikes with it you probably don't want to be strapping down on fancy wheels. Carbon fairing like HED or Flo especially. But I wouldn't even on a full carbon wheel. Meaning, you'll need to carry an extra "clunker" wheel for each really nice bike for strapping the one wheel to the tray. The other wheel is held down with a shepherd's crook on the tire, so that's fine.

Just so you know.

That's why I love my 1UP. No hook contacting the fork or brake and no strap around a carbon rim. I also like that I can use it as a 1 bike carrier 90% of the time and then easily add positions when I need them. The sections also fold up and go on a shelf in the garage when not in use instead of taking up floor space.

I've owned KUAT, Yakima and Thule racks and the 1UP is easily my favorite. The only downside is that it isn't easily lockable, I have to string a cable around the bike when needed.

1up for me as well. The only contact is with the tire. Super stable. The ability to add a 3rd and 4th rack to the 2 bike version is really nice.
This my friends car with our 4 bikes on the 1up

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Mar 19, 21 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely give the Velocirax a look! I have one for my family and it's been amazing.
Pros:
- options of 3 to 7 (!) Bikes
- only contacts the tires and keeps bikes away from each other
- can take all types of bikes down to 24" wheels easily, 20" and below can be done but will need some playing around, I have even carried a trailer on there
- even 7 bikes are only the height of a bike + ~1' away from the tailgate, getting rid of ground clearance worries on my van
- hydraulic assisted tilt-away that allows you to load (adult) bikes without even lifting but doesn't let hundreds of pounds fall on you
- through bolt mechanism allows you to tighten into hitch
- comes with a locking hitch pin AND a wall mount so you can use it as a bike storage rack in your garage
- release the hinge and it lays flat and becomes a bike stand for camping
- extremely solid construction, made in Utah
- prices $700 for 3X through $895 for 7

Cons
- heavy! May require a couple people to install, I do it myself but it's a bit like a light deadlift
- doesn't take 20" or less kids bikes easily but DOES do BMX
- assembly required, which requires some tools. Took me about an hour but the instructions are excellent.
- tri and road bikes can be tricky because of the bars. There are the "X" options that space the bikes out more and eliminate this though. I can make a tri bike, two roadies, a 29er, a 24 kids bike, and 20 kids bike work on my 6 but it takes some planning
- it's not small when on the car empty
- only comes in fire engine red accents for now
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer my own question for others that may be curious - no the rear wheel mounting with a Yakima Holdup rack does not work on my Cervelo P-Series. I called them and Yakima said it would, but it doesn't. The shepherd’s hook has to clamp down at the intersection of the top of the rear triangle and the rear tire. Otherwise the hook rotates around the tire and loosens up when going down the road. Problem is, the hook also rubs hard on the edge of the frame, enough to probably wear away the paint at best and maybe damage the carbon at worst.

khanlon wrote:
Has anyone use the wheel hook style rack like the Yakima Hold Up/Kuat/Thule T2 and used the wheel hook on the rear wheel instead of the front wheel? The problem is that I have a disc rear wheel and I can't put the wheel tray strap through it. If these types of racks worked with the hook on the rear wheel, then I could put the wheel strap around the spoked front wheel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next