Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28
Quote | Reply
I'd like to start out by saying I am new to di2 and my bike was shifting just fine on all 11 gears in the rear and the 2 in the front before I took it off the kickr to get a bike fit. Post bike fit I get home and attempt to shift the rear derailluer down to the small gear to make it easier to put on the trainer and it won't down shift past gear 8. I can shift fine inbetween gears 8-11 but nothing lower than 8. My front derailluer still shifts fine inbetween the big and small rings. Thoughts?

This issue is on a Cervelo P2 and I am experiencing the shifting issue from both the aerobars and basebar. When in the 11th gear and up shifting the RD moves inwards but the chain does not shift into the wheel, most likely due to the limit screw. This makes me think that the system is confused and thinking that the 8th gear is actually the 1st gear.

I tried going through crash test reset on di2 and it automatically upshifts from gear 8 into the wheel, this was making me think that the system thinks gear 8 is really the smallest gear in the cassette.

I downloaded E-tube 3.4.5 and it shows that my RD is in the smallest gear (11) when in reality my RD is in gear (4) of the diagram and can only shift inbetween 1-4. Sorry for using 8-11 above. 8-11 above describes 4-1 in the diagram.

I attached pictures of the RD if that helps.

Imgur link for photos of RD that I could not resize to the 250 KB requirement on Slowtwitch

https://imgur.com/a/OlS9TDr

Last edited by: kenlenuiuc: Mar 10, 21 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [kenlenuiuc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it the battery is charged?
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the battery is charged. I can shift fine inbetween RD 8-11 and FD 1-2.
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [kenlenuiuc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you shift the front derailleur to 3?
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have a third
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What shifting mode is it set to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you bent it taking it off / putting it back on - have a look from the rear the jockey wheels should be vertical and aligned with each other....

The system has no "intelligence" - it moves a set amount each click - if e-tube "thinks" it's on the lowest gear then it needs to mechanically be on that gear - you can't get the software to learn which gear it's actually on and adapt.

is it moving 11 times? I'd take it off the trainer - hold it up (put it in a stand) and check that for 11 clicks you get 11 shifts - if you don't then maybe you're in synchro mode?
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can actually only get 10 shifts each way for an 11 speed system.
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha - absolutely correct.......i'm in the UK and its after 3am - that's my excuse :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With di2, you cannot access the outboard 2 cogs while in the small chainring (prevents cross-chaining) - they are electronically locked out.

But it also sounds that somehow the chain is on a different cog than di2 thinks it is. Try putting the chain on the next cog by hand, then trying it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure your lower limit screw is not to tight (try unscrewing it 1/2 a turn). the resistance that the derailleur would get when attempting to shift down, could prevent it to shift down and automatically correct upwards.
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually the limit screws for Di2 RDs should be very loose. Try to loosen the screws at first.

Make sure that your chain is on the bigger chain ring (FD), otherwise the Di2 won't shift in gear 10 &11 (RD).

Can you hear a sound of the RDs motor, when you try to shift down?
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [Rrrrrr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rrrrrr wrote:
Usually the limit screws for Di2 RDs should be very loose. Try to loosen the screws at first.

Make sure that your chain is on the bigger chain ring (FD), otherwise the Di2 won't shift in gear 10 &11 (RD).

Can you hear a sound of the RDs motor, when you try to shift down?

I am in the big ring. I am experiencing this issue in both the big and small rings. No, there is no noise when trying to shift down (from 8 to 7).
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mammamia wrote:
make sure your lower limit screw is not to tight (try unscrewing it 1/2 a turn). the resistance that the derailleur would get when attempting to shift down, could prevent it to shift down and automatically correct upwards.

I tried this and it didn't change anything. Please note that the bike fitter and I did not touch the limit screws.
Quote Reply
Re: di2 stuck shifting between gears 8-11 on RD 11-28 [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esuuv wrote:
Have you bent it taking it off / putting it back on - have a look from the rear the jockey wheels should be vertical and aligned with each other....

The system has no "intelligence" - it moves a set amount each click - if e-tube "thinks" it's on the lowest gear then it needs to mechanically be on that gear - you can't get the software to learn which gear it's actually on and adapt.

is it moving 11 times? I'd take it off the trainer - hold it up (put it in a stand) and check that for 11 clicks you get 11 shifts - if you don't then maybe you're in synchro mode?

It moves 9 times which jives with not being able to shift into the last gear due to di2 programming. I am checking the mode right now that is a possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kenlenuiuc wrote:
esuuv wrote:

It moves 9 times which jives with not being able to shift into the last gear due to di2 programming. I am checking the mode right now that is a possibility.

Shift it to the smallest cog that it will go to.

Turn on the micro-adjust mode.

Adjust it until it shifts down to the smallest cog.

Turn off the adjustment mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did this. I can now shift inbetween gears 7-11 so this resulted in being able to downshift 1 more gear than before. I am 32 clicks in micro adjustment mode towards the RD. Unfortunately, I still hear no response from the RD when attempting to downshift past 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you bent your rear derailleur hanger. If you're saying that shifting into the easier gears now brings the chain past the biggest cog and into the wheel itself, it *really* sounds like you bent your derailleur hanger.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply