Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 rear wheel fitment
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitchers,
I have a 2015 P3 with stock aluminum Cosmic wheels (+/- 19 mm ). They can take 23 mm tires but 25’s are too tight a fit on the rear due to the seat post “cutout”.
I would like to get a 50 to 60mm deep carbon tubeless wheels. I had a great deal on a pair of Mavic Carbon Pro UTS TDF with tires skewers and cassette. Drove 150 km ( 90 miles ) to pick them up, but when I measured them, they were not going to fit. I had the owner measure the critical wheel dimension and he had told me 342.5mm. Perfect! But, when I measured.....350mm. So drove home without new wheels!

Does anyone know something aero that will fit my bike?

Thanks in advance.
Gord
Quote Reply
Re: P3 rear wheel fitment [gordfromborder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the critical wheel dimension?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 rear wheel fitment [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,
Not sure what your question is asking,
But there isn’t enough room from the axle centre line to the seat post “ cut out”. There is lots of width available, including brake adjustment with the original magura t6 brakes. Plus lots of room under the brakes. It is just the clearance with the seat post.

That is what I am wondering what other owners of same bike are using. It appears a wheel that will accommodate 23’s is golden. But the Mavics I looked at today would only handle 25 to 28mm. Plus very limited selection of 23 tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you backed out dropout set screws?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 rear wheel fitment [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will double check. When I bought the bike last year, the previous owner had told me he had moved them back as much as he could, again trying to accommodate 25’s. I’ll check in the morning when I can get bike and mechanic stand together.
I am an old school guy with old equipment ( my “new” training bike is a 2000 Oryx. Hell, I still have my original Ritchey mountain bike from 1981....yes, long wheelbase, slack angles and heavy as sin ).
Thanks, I’ll get back to the forum in the am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said: " I had the owner measure the critical wheel dimension and he had told me 342.5mm. Perfect! But, when I measured.....350mm"

What did you measure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said: "But the Mavics I looked at today would only handle 25 to 28mm".

What does that mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my bike, I measured from the centre of axle on end of skewer to the outside diameter of the tire, which is 342 +/- ( also confirmed by measuring from end of skewer to ground, adjacent to the tire. The dimension from the skewer to the frame cut out of the seat post is 350 to 351 mm, depending on top or bottom of seat tube cut out. I have reread this trying to see if it makes sense....hopefully you can follow my explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Mavic web site, the wheel spec indicates 25 to 28 mm tires as a minimum/ maximum. The inside wheel dimension is 19mm, according to web site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gordfromborder wrote:
According to the Mavic web site, the wheel spec indicates 25 to 28 mm tires as a minimum/ maximum. The inside wheel dimension is 19mm, according to web site.

You can put any size tire on those wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, there isn’t a safety issue with 23’s on these wheels, from a safety standpoint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gordfromborder wrote:
So, there isn’t a safety issue with 23’s on these wheels, from a safety standpoint?

You could use a 19mm wide tire and it would be fine.

You could also put a 3 inch wide tire on that wheel and it would be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All depends on which 25’s you want to use. I have same P3 - I tried Conti 4000 in 25mm but they didn’t work, the tyres were very, very slightly rubbing when out of the saddle and putting some power down; so for a long time I stuck with 23mm 4000’s.

But the new 5000’s are slightly narrower in 25mm than the old 4000’s were and so the new 25mm 5000’s work a dream, w/ no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 rear wheel fitment [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you aware you can back out the dropout screws? I have the same frame, it has nothing to do with the wheels and tires.

This comes up repeatedly with the P2/3 frame, people dont know those screws are there.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 rear wheel fitment [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Yup, had room with the set screw adjustment. Teaches me to listen to everything I am told. At my age, I should have known better and checked for myself. Wheels were still available and are now in my possession. Now I have to educate myself in all things tubeless. More tinkering, tools and parts. Wooo hoo.

Gord
Quote Reply