Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tsunami warning
Quote | Reply
A friend just posted something about a tsunami warning. Wut talk?

I’m feeling goofy so I actually wrote “que tal?” above, and it auto corrected to “wut talk.” That’s crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: Tsunami warning [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In NZ. Cluster of large offshore earthquakes.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belong to the Hawaii Tracker FB group and seen some mentions of Tsunami warnings - is this what they were referring too?
Quote Reply
Re: Tsunami warning [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tsunami watch for Hawaii has been canceled.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We seem to get those every few months on Vancouver island.

On some spots along the coast here there are tsunami evacuation warning signs.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tsunami warning [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I’ve seen at least 1 tsunami evacuation route sing here in SoCal. I’d have to wander around near the beach to find it again, though.

I thinking about the lack of news about the offshore 8.1 earthquake, and I guess because it’s underwater it’s just invisible to us. If a tsunami happens, is that mostly invisible too until it hits the continental shelf?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe so. I think boats out at sea don't even notice them.

Fun fact: the town of port alberni here on Vancouver island was levelled by a tsunami in the 60's by a tsunami that was caused by a 9.0 earthquake in alaska. The thing is, Port Alberni is in the centre of our large island. How did this happen? The tsunami travelled around 20 miles up river to the town. The narrowing inlet amplified the speed and intensity of the waves, which topped out at around 20 ft tall.

Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Mar 4, 21 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tsunami warning [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s crazy! I just read about it at the Port Alberni maritime museum website. It looks like a beautiful place to visit. Why is it called Port Alberni if it’s 20 miles from the sea? The museum website has pictures of what look like tall ships. That river must be pretty deep?

I’d better find a map.
ETA I looked at a map, and that’s a big river. And it seems like an awesome place to live.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Mar 4, 21 19:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife works at the Tsunami Warning Center here in Alaska. She had the day off but was called in once the 8.1 hit the NZ area. I'll get the low down when she returns. Most warnings are called off, but precautionary incase it's needed. Every second counts in those situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
That’s crazy! I just read about it at the Port Alberni maritime museum website. It looks like a beautiful place to visit. Why is it called Port Alberni if it’s 20 miles from the sea? The museum website has pictures of what look like tall ships. That river must be pretty deep?

I’d better find a map.
ETA I looked at a map, and that’s a big river. And it seems like an awesome place to live.

To be fair it's not technically a river but an incredibly long and narrow inlet. It's salt water.

Port Alberni itself is a sad, rough town. It was a logging town way back when but the mill closed in the 70's or so and the main industry collapsed. There is a lot of alcoholism, very contentious relationships between the townspeople and the indigenous community, and to make it even more depressing it is foggy and/or rainy like 260 days out of the year.

But, it is surrounded by stunning natural beauty. If you look up Tofino, that is 1.5 hours down the road and that place is nothing short of magical. We vacation there a couple times a year. Nearby is also cathedral grove, which is kind of like our version of the california redwoods with massive cedar trees.

So, the town itself is pretty dumpy but there is a lot to see in the area.

Quote Reply