Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used Tri bike sizing/fit
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the whole tri bike thing and signed up for and IM in the fall. Been riding and racing road bikes for several years though.

I'm looking to get a used tri bike but as I don't have one yet I'm not sure of what my position will be so I'm finding it difficult to determine which bike sizes I'll get a good fit on.

Height: 183cm (6ft)
Inseam: 86cm
Road Saddle Height: 77cm
Weight: 150 lbs (68kg)

My current road bike is a 2010 Bianchi mono-q 57cm with a 120cm stem slammed and pretty traditional bars.

I'm particularly interested in a Giant Trinity Composite 0 2013 that I've found in size large but have also been looking at some cervelo's in size large or medium, other giant trinity composites, and some felt B's.

I realize that I'd ideally take the bike try and adjust to fit ideally with someone who can get my fit close fairly quick and see how well it works but even just trying to do that on a few bikes or just trying them only adjusting the saddle even before buying one seems unrealistic.

I'm not saying I won't walk away if I don't think I can make it work or resell if I try to adjust and just can't find a good position. But I need to have good confidence that I can make a bike work without being able to jump on it and several others first.

Any tips or advice? Will a size large trinity composite workout? What about a medium? Medium or large Cervelo? What about Felt?
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tri bike sizing/fit [logscool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checkout their fit coordinate charts, if you have some you can use.

I'm asking in another topic on here about the Trinity also. I'm normally a solid medium. The Trinity has me confused as their reach/stack fit measures are right in middle of what I use. But their stand over height and overall size of that large frame is definitely more for a guy your size.

I'm in for answers here.

I'm 5' 10", my reach BB to pads is 510 and my stack BB to pads is 658.

I ride an OLD Felt DA that's a 56 and is a hair big, by a hair it is setup really neutral except for a 70mm stem instead of a 100mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers for a tri bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tri bike sizing/fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I guess that's a big part of the problem, I don't have a tri bike fit because I don't have a tri bike yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logscool wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I guess that's a big part of the problem, I don't have a tri bike fit because I don't have a tri bike yet.

You are supposed to get the fit before buying a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still get a fit first.

When I was looking for my first tri bike I bought used. I went to get a fit first, where I got my ideal bike sized and the brands/sizes of bike that fit those measurements, then a few weeks later one popped up on Kijiji that was a great deal and I was able to purchase it with 100% confidence that it would fit me. Went back for a follow up fit once I got my bike where the bike was set up to my coordinates perfectly.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tri bike sizing/fit [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys getting fit on sizing/adjustable bikes or just on bikes at the shop?

Either way I unfortunately don't have a shop in my area that would have experience with this and probably not even a range of tri bikes to be able to fit me on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best bet would be to get a fit which would give you all your measurements then you can buy your bike based on that. Depending on how handy you are and how much time (and money) you want to invest, just buying a used bike is only half the answer since you'll need to get the front end dialed in properly. You have to be careful, if the used bike you buy has a ton of spacers or a funky stem or someone chopped the fork all the way down then you might get stuck in a bad spot and have to rework everything up there which defeats the ($$) purpose of buying a used bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tri bike sizing/fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Regarding the Trinity in question he was asking about, I'm also looking at.

I am currently riding, with success:
-BB to seat tube length: 560
-Center seat to center pads: 660
-BB to pads, reach: 510, Giant says a large is 468-538
-BB to pads, stack: 658, Giant says a large is 640 to 699
-Standover: 79? the top tube is curved and lowest in middle, this is a "mean"
-165mm crank

Giant lists my height as probable on the large, but optimal on the medium. If it can hit the fit coords, what's the consequences? Stand over? Steering response?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logscool wrote:
I'm new to the whole tri bike thing and signed up for and IM in the fall. Been riding and racing road bikes for several years though.

I'm looking to get a used tri bike but as I don't have one yet I'm not sure of what my position will be so I'm finding it difficult to determine which bike sizes I'll get a good fit on.

Height: 183cm (6ft)
Inseam: 86cm
Road Saddle Height: 77cm
Weight: 150 lbs (68kg)

My current road bike is a 2010 Bianchi mono-q 57cm with a 120cm stem slammed and pretty traditional bars.

I'm particularly interested in a Giant Trinity Composite 0 2013 that I've found in size large but have also been looking at some cervelo's in size large or medium, other giant trinity composites, and some felt B's.

I realize that I'd ideally take the bike try and adjust to fit ideally with someone who can get my fit close fairly quick and see how well it works but even just trying to do that on a few bikes or just trying them only adjusting the saddle even before buying one seems unrealistic.

I'm not saying I won't walk away if I don't think I can make it work or resell if I try to adjust and just can't find a good position. But I need to have good confidence that I can make a bike work without being able to jump on it and several others first.

Any tips or advice? Will a size large trinity composite workout? What about a medium? Medium or large Cervelo? What about Felt?

Cervelo's and Felt B's in size 56 (large) will be just fine. It's just a matter of adjusting seat and handlebar properly
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tri bike sizing/fit [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Cervelo's and Felt B's in size 56 (large) will be just fine. It's just a matter of adjusting seat and handlebar properly
A Felt B in a 56 would be almost certainly too large. I'd bet the Cervelo would be as well.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply