Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc
Quote | Reply
 Here I am looking for a disc bike and came across this two! Bouts about $5500 to $6000!
Is it any thoughts what direction should I go? Any review or experience with these two?
Currently I ride a diamondback serious f!
Even I thought the Andean( on sale now) but the weight scare me little!
I am 5/6 with 29 inseam!
Thank you very much for the help!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [loganvass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never been on a Superslice, but my last tri bike (before I gave up triathlon) was an Argon 118 NEXT and it was FANTASTIC. My personal favorite tri bike ever. But as you probably know, a big that fits is the best starting point!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Last edited by: boilerup: Mar 4, 21 6:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superslice comes with old Vision aerobars.
They are not compatible with traditional 22.2mm diametre extensions.
Vision specific extensions are so rare that it is nearly impossible to make praying mantis position with the bars.
You can not swap the bars... stuck with them FOREVER.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately, the mantis position is slower for pretty much any age group triathlete, so you don't have to worry about that too much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's unlikely you can go wrong with either. Get whichever you look at and think "oh man that's a nice bike", provided you can match your fit coordinates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a superslice is person as I don't think they were ever sold in large volumes. The front end has a air of classic Cannondale ingenuity though which is something to consider.

Cannondale invented the BB30 which is fine today because it has been widely adopted but posed some challenges when first brought to market in 2006. Cannondales 'Ai' spacing is another example of an idea with advantages but which is a royal pain in terms of compatibility. Michelle Vesterby found a way to hack the front end of the superslice (TriRig.com - Gallery: Kona 2017: Michelle Vesterby's Cannondale Super Slice) so its possible but not without a great deal of effort. Ultimately if it works it works but if you want to change something be ready for a hassle. So I would just make sure it will work for you before buying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the advice!
I am thinking go with the argon!
Only problem I have is : the chart shows my inseam suggested I am xs and my hight show I am a s.
Advice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
Superslice comes with old Vision aerobars.
They are not compatible with traditional 22.2mm diametre extensions.
Vision specific extensions are so rare that it is nearly impossible to make praying mantis position with the bars.
You can not swap the bars... stuck with them FOREVER.

This is not true. Lots of people switch the bars, including the EF team. They use the Metron TFA bar, which is really slick with their new TFE extensions
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it is trueā€¦

I had this bikeā€¦could not get anything else to workā€¦and could not get longer extensions from fast/vision.

The EF team had stuff custom made to be able to fit on that bike correctlyā€¦and they are not available to consumersā€¦I actually even spoke to Cannondale about this issue.

I think the only solution is to work with drag2zero or someone like thatā€¦and find a new riser/clamp system that would then hold any normal extensionsā€¦

I loved the bikeā€¦but sold it because of the lack of adaptability with the front end options
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D2Z, Revolver, AeroCoach, and many other brands make adapters to fit standard cockpits to almost any bike. The bolt spacing on the Cannondale would work with all of them. Seems odd to sell it instead of getting a few small parts (adapter, clamp, and screws).

You can also use the TFA bar like some of the EF guys. Several other bars that have a cable exit over the steerer will also work.

I would just use an adapter from the usual UK suspects, though. No need to have any custom pro stuff made.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Fortunately, the mantis position is slower for pretty much any age group triathlete, so you don't have to worry about that too much
This seems like a big claim. Can you share data or a claim from a reliable source.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
šŸ“± Check out our app ā†’ Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube ā†’ Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tfa aerobar did not fit on my super slice. It has to do with the fit of the integrated stem and how it fit into the frameā€¦againā€¦they had special ones made.

FSA engineers even sent my LBS a dummy stem they used in their design process so we could test the fit before I invested in a new bar.

I personally spoke to FSA and Cannondale. The Cannondale tech guy I spoke with could not have been more rudeā€¦and I was not married to the bike enough after that experience. I have a Dimond marquise as wellā€¦so it was easy decision.

You are more than welcome to buy your own and figure it out yourself.

Nowā€¦Iā€™m guessing they did something different on this current evo version of their TT bike and designed frame to accommodate the TFA stem/barā€¦
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loganvass wrote:
Thank you everyone for the advice!
I am thinking go with the argon!
Only problem I have is : the chart shows my inseam suggested I am xs and my hight show I am a s.
Advice?

I've got an older Argon, and am likely to be replacing that with an E-119 - I do like the look and ride of the argon tri bikes. That being said, I've 2 cannondale road bikes and my hardtail is also a cannondale, so no brand bias from me.

But size wise they are 'different'. And that's probably why I am a fan. I'm tall (6'4"), all in the legs, actually a spine length that's more like a sub 6 footer. So that means that I have a ton of seatpost and then a huge drop to the pads, but also don't need those pads a mile out front, or those pads to be 2mm above the top of the front tyre (I get the flat back not because of low front end but because it's relative to the saddle).

So to your point, you really need to measure the pad x and y on you current bike (assume that's a good fit) and chose the right frame for that. Just check the seat post will go high enough if you go xs.

Now I may be getting this wrong, sorry, about to go for a run and too lazy to check, but the E-118 was a generally more agressive low geometry for UCI rules than the 'odd numbered' 117/119 that were tri focussed. So again, deoends on your body shape and flexibility. That being said, same goes for the superslice.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd need to mine slowtwitch posts. The source is desertdude. My understanding is the problem you end up with is that triathletes just don't go that fast, even fast ones, so the fact that the mantis position isn't particularly fast at higher yaw angles makes you slower.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread was informative to me.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...igh%20hands#p6808938

If I misrepresented something, I'm happy to be set straight. What I got out of it is that high hands is not automatically faster, and requires testing, it's also sensitive to the conditions and your riding speed. I was probably a little too definite in that first post. That being said, it still sounds like if you're not able to thoroughly test and you ride at standard triathlon speeds, on average you will likely not be fastest with high hands.
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Jul 2, 22 14:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to hear your experience. I have a Superslice and swapped out the cockpit instantly. The steerer tube is just an 1-1/8ā€, so it does accept aftermarket stems and bars. Personally, I fitted the Cervelo P3X stem, basebar, and mono riser. Iā€™ve used it for 2 years without issues, and only had to slightly modify the behind the steerer aluminum cable/hose cover to make everything fit.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Interesting to hear your experience. I have a Superslice and swapped out the cockpit instantly. The steerer tube is just an 1-1/8ā€, so it does accept aftermarket stems and bars. Personally, I fitted the Cervelo P3X stem, basebar, and mono riser. Iā€™ve used it for 2 years without issues, and only had to slightly modify the behind the steerer aluminum cable/hose cover to make everything fit.

I am happy that worked out for you. The steerer tube was not the issue. I could have put a normal stem on and used another barā€¦agree, but it would not have been fully integrated the way I wanted it built. I didnā€™t have a p3x bar laying around to test that out šŸ˜¬ .

I also talked to aerocoaxh and drag2zero. Either of these options would have solved my problemā€¦but by that point I had my experience with cannondale and was not happy they cared less about any consumer riding this particular bike. Maybe it would have been different if I didnā€™t have another nice option to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Superslice vs 2020 argon e 118+disc [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: zooropa: Jul 7, 22 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great. Best looking superslice I've seen.
Quote Reply