Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video
Quote | Reply
I did a skijor race up on top of the Grand Mesa this past weekend. Here's a little edit of my two races. 4.3 miles. 22:41 on the first day (snow was deep and soft). 21:33 on the second day. 10,700 feet in elevation. Race temp was around 13 degrees F both days.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 2, 21 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! “Wait there’s mom” gave me a good laugh. My wife does a few 5ks with our GSDs a year and things tend to go poorly whenever they see dad on the course cheering
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Nice! “Wait there’s mom” gave me a good laugh. My wife does a few 5ks with our GSDs a year and things tend to go poorly whenever they see dad on the course cheering

Hehe, yeah each day he wanted to stop to say hi, but it was pretty easy to convince him to keep going.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 now there's a dog that likes to run.. nice.

Did this once at Snow Mtn Ranch with a friend's big black Lab, he lost interest after a mile or so..
Tried with my dog, but he was a field-bred cocker spaniel, would quarter across the tracks, never had the straight-line thing worked out.. plenty of power, just not in the right direction ;-)
Last edited by: doug in co: Mar 2, 21 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that! so cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reason # 1,425,900 that we don't actually deserve dogs: they are willing to pull our lazy butts around in the snow!

Also, that looks like a lot of fun but my pit mix is a sniffer and would find something to smell every 20 feet or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot less to sniff in the snow. Also, I think dogs that are new to it kind of get caught up in the excitement of the other dogs and they understand that they are supposed to run!

In one of the places I take Hobbes for training runs there are about 6 million prairie dogs and he does not pull nearly as hard there because he's always looking at the little rodents.

Here's a video I made of the whole race weekend in general.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I did a skijor race up on top of the Grand Mesa this past weekend. Here's a little edit of my two races. 4.3 miles. 22:41 on the first day (snow was deep and soft). 21:33 on the second day. 10,700 feet in elevation. Race temp gastronomic life cafedan cafedenrestaurant.com was around 13 degrees F both days.

Nice! looks like an awesome day.
Last edited by: karla: Mar 18, 21 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to get my Husky into this next year. Any tips for starting out?
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I want to get my Husky into this next year. Any tips for starting out?

My experience is that your dog will let you know if they want to skijor, and if they do, it is not hard to train them. If it's not for them, they will let you know!

So about 5 years ago I got a husky and thought for sure she would love skijoring, so I got her a harness and I got a belt and lanyard for myself and started taking her for runs. She did OK, but she really did not like wearing a harness. She ran much much better without a harness and she would kind of protest by going really slowly when she wore a harness. Also, she cannot do any real running unless it is below freezing out. Otherwise she is overheated pretty quickly and needs to go slow. So I could take her for three mile easy runs in cold weather, but that was about it. She would pull me for the first mile, but after that, no pulling, or I would pull her! It seemed skijoring was not in our future.

Then we adopted this GSP from a rescue. On our first day, he was anxious and kinda going nuts, so I figured I'd take him for a little trail run to help calm him down. I tried to go an easy 8min/mile pace on this 4 mile loop, and I put him in my husky's harness and attached him to my belt with the lanyard. Immediately, I knew this dog was different. He pulled so hard that no matter how easy I tried to go, there was no way to run slower than 6:30 pace. At the end of the 4 mile loop, if anything he was pulling harder than he was at the beginning. So I just kept going, for about 9.5 miles, until my legs were feeling kinda wrecked - even if you're trying to go easy keeping the foot speed up so the dog doesn't put you face down in the dirt takes a lot of effort. After 9.5 miles he was STILL pulling just as hard, having the best time ever, and I knew I had a skijoring dog.

There is no really good place to practice skijoring near Boulder, and I also have to work in my triathlon training, so Hobbes gets very little "formal" training. I take him up into the mountains to a closed road that people hike and ski on in the winter so it gets kinda packed out and we skijor there a few times a winter, but it is often not possible for me to really skate in the conditions. He gets about an hour of real exercise a day - not walking on a leash. Mostly running off-leash in the mountains or at this amazing and huge dog park with a lake. A couple times a week I will take him on 4-5 mile runs with me, where he is sometimes off-leash and he will cover 4-7 miles in the same time, sometimes in the harness and pulling. In cold weather the husky joins us for those, off leash. Then maybe every 2-3 weeks I'll hook him up in the harness and do 9-11 miles with him. I don't do more of that because I'm usually pretty sore afterwards, trying to keep from being pulled onto my face for 1-1.5 hours.

In the harness, by giving his lanyard some directional tugs and saying, "on by" whenever we encounter other runners, hikers or dogs, he has learned that when I say "on by" that he is to ignore everyone else and just keep running and he does really well at that usually. He has also learned that when we approach an option to turn, if he looks like he is heading one direction and I say, "other way" he knows to choose the other option. "real" lead dogs learn "gee" and "haw" for commands to turn right or left, but I have not bothered to try that.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome! We've got a large groomed dog specific xc area nearby (Callaghan Valley in Whistler) but my xc skills are a bit unpredictable and I'm afraid of taking out my pup's achilles. She's a runner and I'd probably be trying to snowplow the whole time, ha. I have always wanted to try it out though, maybe next winter...

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a talented XC skier.... I have very little to no experience at it! Just go for it!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that was fun to watch! It looked like pretty soft trail conditions, and at that altitude... ooof!
I’ve always been curious about skiing at Grand Mesa, but just too lazy to get up there, when I’ve got groomed trails 17 minutes away. Do they usually classic, skate or skiers choice when skijorning?
I guess they would need flat courses for skijorning, as you wouldn’t want to ski over your dog on a downhill? Your dog looks perfect for it. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been sick this winter, so my skiing has been super slow, & technique is my main priority.
It’s amazing when you figure out the little tricks (just like swimming) that take your technique to a whole new level, and like swimming, it’s just amazing how little effort it takes to go so much faster. And doing it with your dog, how fun is that?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot! I have a Husky who loves the harness and loves leading. I have a feeling if I let her loose on a trail that she would take to it very easily. Going to try some light roller blading this Spring/Fall. Huskies are a fickle little f*ckers. ;)
M~
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Thanks a lot! I have a Husky who loves the harness and loves leading. I have a feeling if I let her loose on a trail that she would take to it very easily. Going to try some light roller blading this Spring/Fall. Huskies are a fickle little f*ckers. ;)
M~

I'm gonna drop these here, even though they have nothing at all to do with endurance sports, just because I love my dogs and think everyone else should too :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That second video is hilarious! That dog is definitely winning at life!
Quote Reply
Re: Skijor race (xc skiing with dog) video [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He likes everything, everyone and always figures out how to have fun! The only time I've seen him sad is when he got stung by a yellow jacket. Even when he got a cactus thorn all the way through his foot, he was super happy and kept running until we got home.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply