Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No pool access since March 2020 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Porfirio wrote:
Was reading the Allan Hovda interview where he mentions he hasn't had pool access since 3/2020. I'm in the same boat as I imagine others on this forum are. My local olympic tri is usually held late September which tells me it could happen given vaccinations & all. But who the hell will have enough swim training? I'm already a shitty swimmer & right now, I'd probably drown. So you think bike/run duathlons are in due order?

My local pool has been open for a while now, but I'm afraid covid exposure. Should I be?

I had the same discussion here a while ago regarding cycling and being passed closely by others without mask.

There is a risk, and it may be as big or small as anyone thinks it is. We don’t have data, unfortunately.

It is good to be aware of the risk and trying to mitigate it as good as you can without giving up living..
Relying on others to be much help in that aim is foolish (see above: perceived risk).
All one can do is make sure others know about your concerns (“would you please not stay/pass close to me or breath in my face”), and mitigate it as best as possible (wear mask, ride towards the left, breath opposite side from others, don’t touch common surfaces or stay in poorly ventilated areas).

Most rational nice people will try to be accommodating, but you’re going to encounter those who put their freedom over the well-being of others and society.
It’s frustrating, but your best course then is to walk/stay away (their day of reckoning will come sooner than later).

Be positive, don’t be afraid of that new danger in your life. Other than drowning, it’s not certain death, and you’ll maybe make new friends or new enemies. Both are good to know.

Take care.

Thanks for you kind words. Weather permitting, I'm still running/riding outdoors. Seems not doing so would be irrational as it's, well, outdoors. This thread has been helpful on the topic of indoor swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: No pool access since March 2020 [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where i am, we have been in total lockdown. Everything is closed except vital buisnesses like food/groceries and medicine. Have been that way since 15 december. No resturants, no bars, no gyms or pools, ntohing. And there is a curfew at night. Before that pools were open but only 30 people alowed inside the building at a time, no toilets, 45 minutes to swim, no showers, undress by the pool, towel off after and dress in one person sized dressingroom, entry only on reservation. It was nearly impossible to get a reservation. The few times i was able to swim last fall i was carefull and it seemed fine as long as others there are carefull aswell. Should be reasonably safe.

If any races will occur this year i will come out of the water last. There are worse things. My friend is burying his mom today who died of COVID..

Just stay safe and stay positive, that's all anyone can do.
Quote Reply
Re: No pool access since March 2020 [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remco wrote:
There are worse things. My friend is burying his mom today who died of COVID.

Yeah, I often do think I'm an a**hole for being pissed that I bought a new tri bike in Jan 2020 and can't "use it" in a race. Me & my family are safe. I'm the luckiest man alive.
Quote Reply
Re: No pool access since March 2020 [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying to the OP, just a general question about the thread:

Quote:
Just grow a set and start swimming again with precaution in mind.
Quote:
Some people have literally become total pansies

I haven't checked on this thread in a while. Is it still on topic?
Quote Reply

Prev Next