Super interview. I loved the oil rig everest
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Allan Hovda on adapting [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a very interesting guy
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Allan Hovda on adapting [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also do you think you can ask him to jump on here to elaborate on the oil rig everest? How steep are the stairs on the oil rig and how quickly did he cover the 118m vertical each time? He averaged a VAM of around 775m which is insane as this INCLUDEs rest to take the elevator down. He was probably more like an average VAM of 1000-1100m when actually moving which gives you the equivalent moving VAM of what you need to do to ride Alpe d'Huez in an hour. But he did this with no mechanical advantage of a bike and was weight bearing all the way up. Did he put a chair in the elevator on the way down to rest and nourish. Did he stop mid was on the 118m per try to let his heart rate settle? What was his average and max heart rate.

I think if you changed the title of this thread to "Everest on an Oil Rig by Norseman Champ Alan Hovda" we'll get a ton of interest from readers. I fear no one clicked on the link because they don't know who he is.

....and it is no suprise the Norseman champ pulled off this crazy human feat. Between winter open water swimming, trainer riding and oil rig "hills" the guy should be unstoppable for Norseman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great writeup, Herbert!

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think if you changed the title of this thread to "Everest on an Oil Rig by Norseman Champ Alan Hovda" we'll get a ton of interest from readers. I fear no one clicked on the link because they don't know who he is.
Agreed.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Allan Hovda on adapting [cchristen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also if he comes on here, does he use the stair climb as a regular part of his training while deployed on the rig. It seems to Everest this way, he would have already done a lot of workouts this way or he would be cripple after that attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Everest on an Oil Rig by Norseman Champ Alan Hovda [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great interview, always nice to read about the person behind the athlete. Curious how Norseman will work out this year, reading between the lines I guess it will be a Norwegian affair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Also do you think you can ask him to jump on here to elaborate on the oil rig everest? How steep are the stairs on the oil rig and how quickly did he cover the 118m vertical each time? He averaged a VAM of around 775m which is insane as this INCLUDEs rest to take the elevator down. He was probably more like an average VAM of 1000-1100m when actually moving which gives you the equivalent moving VAM of what you need to do to ride Alpe d'Huez in an hour. But he did this with no mechanical advantage of a bike and was weight bearing all the way up. Did he put a chair in the elevator on the way down to rest and nourish. Did he stop mid was on the 118m per try to let his heart rate settle? What was his average and max heart rate.

....and it is no suprise the Norseman champ pulled off this crazy human feat. Between winter open water swimming, trainer riding and oil rig "hills" the guy should be unstoppable for Norseman!

Hi and thanks for the interest.

I am happy to share everything about my oil rig everesting. My Strava file is here: https://www.strava.com/.../4890974077/overview (I had to delete it and upload it again to get HR data).

What I will do is filming the path with a GoPro-camera so you can see how it looks. Some parts are really steep, and other like normal stairs. We have rails the whole way which I used a lot until about 7 hours when my triceps started cramping up.

I took the elevator down which in pure moving time was 2:36, which made my effective none elevating movement 2:50-3:00 in best case. As its an elevator used by people who actually do work and corona restrictions allows only two people in the elevator simultaneously I had to wait a fair bit for the elevator, especially the first three hours as that was in day shift time.

The first 6 hours I held a steady pace of between 5:30 - 6:00 min uphill time, before I got slower. Another 1:40 before I had my first 6:30 min uphill and kept it more or less around 7 - 7:10 min from 10 hours.
My average HR for the uphills was about 160-is with 172-3 max (my threshold for running is around 165 bpm) until around 6 hour and 16 minutes before decreasing. In other words, I hit it as hard as I could for as long as I could which was about 6 hours. From then I had to go slower to be able to finish.

I moved the whole time on the way up and sat down on the floor of the elevator.

On the equipment side I used a boiler suit, helmet, safety goggles and rather heavy safety shoes (pics will follow).

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Re: Everest on an Oil Rig by Norseman Champ Alan Hovda [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great interview. Thanks.

Everesting - in safety boots! Brilliant.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Allan Hovda on adapting [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is fascinating. So let's say your pace was 7 min for 118m moving time, then while you were moving your VAM was 1011m per hour pace. This is inclusive of funky variable stairs, and wearing probably 7-8 kilos of safety gear and boots. And when you were going 5:30 your VAM was more like 1290m per hour pace.

Aside from this Everesting, I assume you regularly use this method for training on the rig and it is hugely beneficial for the uphill leg at Norseman and probably helps your bike FTP too. Are all these stairs outdoors in which case does wind and weather also come into effect. What was the temperature for this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I read it, it was inside (the hollow legs of the rig).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like his attitude toward life.
Quote Reply
Re: Everest on an Oil Rig by Norseman Champ Alan Hovda [WilliamsAndy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. Good also when you understand that you are lucky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is fascinating. So let's say your pace was 7 min for 118m moving time, then while you were moving your VAM was 1011m per hour pace. This is inclusive of funky variable stairs, and wearing probably 7-8 kilos of safety gear and boots. And when you were going 5:30 your VAM was more like 1290m per hour pace.

Aside from this Everesting, I assume you regularly use this method for training on the rig and it is hugely beneficial for the uphill leg at Norseman and probably helps your bike FTP too. Are all these stairs outdoors in which case does wind and weather also come into effect. What was the temperature for this?

My safety gear is probably not more than 4-5 kg, but its enough.

Its indoor so temperature is around 18-20 degrees year around.

You are pointing at something important when assuming that I use it regularly for training. I don`t. But I should probably start doing it as I did lose Norseman 2019 less than 100 meters from the finish line as I could not handle the very steep steps. Energy was okey and the run speed at the "runable" sections of the course was good, but my muscles didn't cope with the specific load of those steep steps.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply