Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Well that's a big let down. no power

https://www.wahoofitness.com/...ces/pedals/speedplay

If only it had been an industry changing helmet like that other company hyped so hard 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
- Bearing system redesigned, non-sealed bearings replaced with sealed ones that (in theory) no longer require grease injection at short intervals

Thank goodness for this one. Because I don't know if it was just me, but even with all the official Speedplay-sanctioned tools and a good amount of pressure, I'd always get about 90% of the grease coming back out the edges of the entry port. The grease has to be really far gone before it's fluid enough to push through.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
There is no bond. They're actually held in with a thin metal retaining ring.

Huh, looking at my old pedal body, there is a c-clip to remove the spindle and the cartridge ball bearings. But the needle bearing is in there good. I can't knock it out. Possibly corrosion or something...or a different version from yours. No matter, I'm likely to just upgrade to this new system once those bearings go out on my current pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
There is no bond. They're actually held in with a thin metal retaining ring.

Huh, looking at my old pedal body, there is a c-clip to remove the spindle and the cartridge ball bearings. But the needle bearing is in there good. I can't knock it out. Possibly corrosion or something...or a different version from yours. No matter, I'm likely to just upgrade to this new system once those bearings go out on my current pedals.

I recently changed bearings on a couple sets of my Zeros. The aforementioned clip is a tiny diameter wire ring rather than a true circlip. It takes a couple of tool picks to get out and goes flying!

Unfortunately i really could use the option for new lollipop pucks as something about my pedaling style does wear the plastic inside and outside sections of the pucks.

I’ve had the same experience greasing Zeros as you. Even with lighter grease it is tough to get it flowing thru the bearings and not back out of the cap.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My biggest hope is that they have improved the retention of the covers to the cleats. I know I'm not the only guy or girl to lose one of these covers, usually on the standing leg side.

Very excited about a power option as my penchant for speedplay has been the only thing stopping me from buying a pair of Assiomas. Just hope they are affordable.

Cheers for all the info Dan, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, production moved from US to Vietnam... and in exchange for this outsourcing we don't even get a price drop, just a trendy Wahoo logo.

I'd rather they employ/buy locally than get a new logo
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the other poster said, there's a c-clip but there's also a second wire retaining ring

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...iewtopic.php?t=81464
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Mar 16, 21 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My stack height experience has been different. It really depends on the shoes and how the flat shape is achieved. Some may add material where the adapter otherwise would be. But since the bolts are at the fore-aft end of the flat area, the center where the ball of the foot sits, can be bottomed out: shim, carbon, insole, and that's it. No extra material there (in the middle). There were some pictures of Sidis on the speedplay website with 3 vs 4 hole setups installed and the 4 hole was visibly lower. I have 4 hole Gaerne tri shoes that have far lower stack than my new S-works 3 bolt. I got the S-works (instead of road Gaernes) in part because of your argumentation around this issue, and thought it would be negligible. Stack ended up 4-5mm higher, and I had to move my saddle up.

Another benefit of the 4 hole was the feel. It feels more solid clicking in (yes, I have the right wedges installed), and it feels like your foot is right on top of the pedals. In comparison, the plastic adapter makes the system feel a bit softer. Maybe it's compression of the plastic, I don't know. The feel doesn't really matter, but it did take a few rides to get used to and clipping in my tri shoes feels satisfying in comparison.

Sidenote: the fact that the 3-hole adapter aero surround didn't come with the aero cover was just silly. Glad they include them now
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of 50mm X-1 pedals that are 20 years old. With adequate greasing and replacement bearings, I have put over 25k miles on them. The bodies are showing some wear, but with another set of bearings recently installed [no affil] and a spare set of cleats, I hope to get another 10k miles before needing full replacement.

If this product release is successful, I would consider moving to the Wahoo version, though I am not sure what pedal would be the most similar. Perhaps some other X-1 user would be kind enough to report their experiences here at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for more questions but do you know when the aero pedal with be available? The website currently says “coming soon”.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
geetee wrote:
Dan: are the new cleats compatible with the old X-series pedals, or are we still SOL?

i haven't had a set of X pedals in decades, so, i don't know. all i can tell you is that the cleats are not functionally different to my eye than the yellow cleats i have, that we all would have purchased yesterday, before today's release. the only differences are this: you do get the surrounds, and you do not get the plugs. the plugs are discontinued, unless they are included in the cleat cover set (that continues in the line).

it is my guess that you don't add functionality with the new cleat set. if the old cleat set is not usable with the X pedals, the new cleat set will not be either, i don't think.

I was in my LBS a few weeks ago. They had gotten in a new shipment of X-series cleats. About a dozen. So it seems like Wahoo is going to keep manufacturing them. I have 3 or 4 pairs of X-2s, so that is good. Two pairs I have been running since the late 90s with no problem. I hope they keep manufacturing the grease caps for a while as well.

I run a set of Paves to avoid dirt problems on tours. The new cleats will work on those, but are missing the steel plate that protects the 4 bolt adapter from the Pave's weird shape. I really wish they would keep making the Paves in some configuration. They are the only ones that solves the problem of dirt contamination preventing you from clipping in on less pristine environments. I find them great for tours where I get off the bike for photos and stuff.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Sorry for more questions but do you know when the aero pedal with be available? The website currently says “coming soon”.
Says that for the Australian site as well.

Although I currently use P1 pedals and they need to go and be serviced as the right pedal has a large rattle. Have had since 2016 and they’ve gone great but could be fine for an upgrade.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update from DC Rainmaker...so yeah, they announced these things and well, they're not coming for a very long time. "Still in Development". Whatever that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4HM2B8WW4

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a set in the spring. They were claimed to report the same power numbers as the kickr bike. They seemed ready to go to me, after changing the composite body for better accuracy under high load but they must have found something that I’m not privy to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Update from DC Rainmaker...so yeah, they announced these things and well, they're not coming for a very long time. "Still in Development". Whatever that means.

I'm sure this is more about manufacturing difficulties with all the problems going on in the electronics world than fault with the actual power meter. I can't imagine wahoo is having difficulty creating an accurate power meter

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Still in Development" was the exact quoted words that Ray used. Whatever that means, probably corporate speak.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

It probably means that the title of this thread might still be proven accurate.

Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing they missed the summer/early fall window no sense rushing them out now. I would assume they will take their time and go for a early 2022 release.
Quote Reply

Prev Next