Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen
Quote | Reply
Just started it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I listened to it today. I really enjoyed it. Always been a Springsteen fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have it queued up but haven't listened yet.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this as I just finished the final episode of Renegades podcast. Didn't know about it until last month when a friend turned me on to it.

I really enjoyed the banter. Their perspectives on race, class, and culture, and interpretation of world events as they experienced them. With genuine humility.

i.e. Obama talking about watching the shuttle capsules land offshore in Hawaii while he sat on his granfather's shoulders waving an American flag. Springsteen talking about playing in a bar of 50 people in 1969 during the moon landing. Half the bar wanted to watch the TV, the other half wanted the band to "F'ing play!"

Is sorta smiliar to Beatles: Get Back. Fly on the wall of them becoming them.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the book. Two of my fav people.

But....no MAGAs will care. It's all an echo chamber.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
It's all an echo chamber.

I was afraid of that. I'm not a Springhead, but I do like a few of his songs and generally enjoy books (or podcasts or...whatever format this is) about pop music. But if it's just an echo chamber...well...probably will not bother with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Skuj wrote:

I was afraid of that. I'm not a Springhead, but I do like a few of his songs and generally enjoy books (or podcasts or...whatever format this is) about pop music. But if it's just an echo chamber...well...probably will not bother with it.

I mean, I love what they have to say. I believe in what they are saying. But I'm in that camp, which seems to be half of USA, that really believes in this. The other half of USA, ie those who think Trump is a great guy, won't bother to read a word of this.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Skuj wrote:

I think they were referring to the MAGA world as an echo chamber, not this book.
Last edited by: southpaw: Dec 4, 21 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pay no mind. Biggie J is an echo chamber of one.

I actually didn’t find it that political. A comment here and there. But really just honest dissection of life. They talk about how music shaped them. Chasing girls and finding self confidence and worth. Difficult relationships with their fathers. Understanding their masculinity. Relationships with their spouse and fatherhood.

Things everyone (or at least as a male) deals with regardless of politics.
Last edited by: WannaB: Dec 4, 21 16:21
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone listen to Obama / springsteen [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it does get mildly political many times though. The elephant in the room cannot be ignored.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair. But I read Decision Points, W, years ago.

Just fascinating to hear their insights.
Quote Reply