Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are your biggest considerations for Race selection?
Quote | Reply
I would guess people use myriad criteria for how they select what races they want to put on a schedule for the year. What's the most important for you? Here are a few off the top of my head;

- Close proximity, minimal travel expense
- "Exotic" locations (I talked to someone at my local gym that made selections to places they wanted to vacation, usually internationally)
- The calendar, where the race fits in the year for your training schedule
- Bike course profile; maybe lighter riders wanting hillier routes, heavier stronger riders wanting flatter routes
- Run course profile; same reasons
- The attraction of the host city; my old trainer at my old gym always does Hawaii 70.3 and uses it as a family vacation
- Host location weather and temperatures

I'm relatively new to the game (just three 70.3's and one full IM so far) and after a few experiences that were less than stellar, I consider things like locations very unlikely to be uber HOT on race day, but I also try to select locations that make at least some sense for traveling (the wife would like to travel there, maybe there's family not far from the race, etc).

Lastly, if you're one that is shooting for the podium, do you select races that you think may NOT be heavily attended, fewer competitors, etc? This year I would guess most races will have fewer racers but they may have a much higher percentage of hard-core racers; this year and maybe even next could have a lot less "recreational" or first-time type racers.

Just curious how some pick their races
Quote Reply
Re: What are your biggest considerations for Race selection? [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treknv wrote:
I would guess people use myriad criteria for how they select what races they want to put on a schedule for the year. What's the most important for you? Here are a few off the top of my head;

- "Exotic" locations (I talked to someone at my local gym that made selections to places they wanted to vacation, usually internationally)
- Bike course profile; maybe lighter riders wanting hillier routes, heavier stronger riders wanting flatter routes
- The attraction of the host city; my old trainer at my old gym always does Hawaii 70.3 and uses it as a family vacation

I'm relatively new to the game (just three 70.3's and one full IM so far) and after a few experiences that were less than stellar, I consider things like locations very unlikely to be uber HOT on race day, but I also try to select locations that make at least some sense for traveling (the wife would like to travel there, maybe there's family not far from the race, etc).

Lastly, if you're one that is shooting for the podium, do you select races that you think may NOT be heavily attended, fewer competitors, etc? This year I would guess most races will have fewer racers but they may have a much higher percentage of hard-core racers; this year and maybe even next could have a lot less "recreational" or first-time type racers.

All of those things matter but when a race involves travel, it's usually more about an agreement among friends on what races we are going to do.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your biggest considerations for Race selection? [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treknv wrote:

It used to be all that exactly. Now I'm so fed up with airlines and TSA I'm not racing anywhere outside of a range of a Diamond DA40. Bike frame can fit strapped down on the back seats and wheels and bags in the cargo hold.

Edit: Europe was the worst. Most flights go through Frankfurt. About a 2 mile walk between terminals through creepy empty hallways and out of security and back through German security. Just to transfer planes?
Last edited by: Dilbert: Mar 1, 21 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Close proximity, minimal travel expense - SURE
- "Exotic" locations (I talked to someone at my local gym that made selections to places they wanted to vacation, usually internationally) - THESSE ARE GOOD AS WELL - Just not as many each year.
- The calendar, where the race fits in the year for your training schedule YES - more about family/work commitments - training is just exercise.
- Bike course profile; maybe lighter riders wanting hillier routes, heavier stronger riders wanting flatter routes DONT CARE
- Run course profile; same reasons DONT CARE
- Host location weather and temperatures THIS IS THE SAME AS "Exotic"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point: proximity

Until we get past Covid and the specter of having a race cancelled at the last moment and losing lodging, airfare, etc. goes away; then at least with races within a few hours drive I'm only risking the entry fee.

I'm fortunate to be in NorCal where there are some top-notch races within driving distance.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • When the race is. (conflicts with work).
  • Where the race is. (can I drive there in a day or 3).
  • Can I win it. (300 metre swim, 80 k bike, 8 k run).

and what did Bono sing?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply